Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:07:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooling GPus with mineral oil?  (Read 322 times)
RentGPU (OP)

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 03:37:32 PM

I was thinking of trying this idea and decrease A/C cooling costs any idea about it? , i would like to hear that you guys used this cooling technique (mineral oil) submerging , maybe you could share advantages and disadvantages

2016 GPU Miner

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kakabawa19471947

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 03:39:28 PM

one obvious  disadvantage is replacing the parts if sonthing goes wrong
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 03:50:29 PM

I was thinking of trying this idea and decrease A/C cooling costs any idea about it? , i would like to hear that you guys used this cooling technique (mineral oil) submerging , maybe you could share advantages and disadvantages

Well I heard about long time ago, even read some posts in computer magazines, usually this cooling  method are used for some server equipment, but I've never heard miner using it. So if will start using it, you would be the first one.
RentGPU (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 03:54:26 PM

Well I heard about long time ago, even read some posts in computer magazines, usually this cooling  method are used for some server equipment, but I've never heard miner using it. So if will start using it, you would be the first one.
I have found some youtube videos for miners already used it with thier rigs , but they only talk about how to do it , i know how to do it but i want to know the effect on the long run

2016 GPU Miner
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 04:19:25 PM

Don't you think that this kind of setup requires more space and attention? I have never been into liquid cooling but it seems to be a good idea, especially if it might be cheaper than air conditioning. Your mining equipment should last longer due to lower heat. I'm still not sure whether or not it is worth the hassle (checking oil, being careful not to damage anything etc.).
beachbummer

Activity: 251
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 04:25:15 PM

I have researched into this previously and found there were a few concerns.

If you ever want to RMA or sell the parts that you submerged, you may need to strip the component for cleaning, or leave it to drip dry, a process that could possibly take weeks or months.

Mineral oil may be difficult to obtain in large quantities at a low price in some countries, so a possible alternative was found in cooking oil. This works well, but as cooking oil is organic in nature, it will turn rancid and will need replacement ever so often. However, cooking oil is much cheaper than mineral oil.

Using distilled water is possible for a short period of time until the metal contaminants start to dissolve into the water and render it conductive. This will then cause short circuits to happen.

Due to the law of conservation of energy, the heat from the GPU is not lost. It is only transferred to the mineral oil. You will still need to find a way to cool the oil if you are generating a large amount of heat.
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2018, 04:35:01 PM

Wratholix did this a few years back with a 6990 rig which is still running till this day afaik with a couple of card replacements.
It's extremely effective but not from a cost perspective unless you've got very solid case building skills. I think he ended up spending around 2.5k RMB on getting a custom heavy perspex case built.
He set up an aquarium pump and a custom built radiator outside for cooling costing another bomb on top of the case etc. However, it was under his desk in his home office running quietly.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
bileq
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 05:05:32 PM

i remembered terraminer already using mineral cooling for asic devices. its pretty acceptable for asics but i have no idea for gpu cooling.
Deathman20

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 05:55:08 PM

I've seen it done before but there is a lot of prep work to do it from my understanding and not very cheap.
Basically scratch it off as voiding all warranties when using it.
NobodyIsHome

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 07:29:05 PM

It can be done but seems like way too much work for anything that needs regular maintenance.
RentGPU (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 09:12:43 PM

Thx to all , i have access to very cheap parraffin oil (medical) but i don't know if it's good for the job , i think i can try first on an old rig or so for couple of months until summer if all ok i can consider it for all the farm cooling

2016 GPU Miner
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 08:21:14 AM

Immersion cooling with 3M Novec Engineered Fluids is a better option , but probably cost more ...

"What are benefits of Novec over mineral oil?
Many factors should be evaluated when selecting a working fluid. 3M Novec Engineered Fluids have a number of significant advantages versus other classes of dielectric fluids, including mineral oil. In addition to being non-flammable and non-combustible, Novec fluids have the boiling points and thermal stability needed for two-phase immersion cooling operations. Servicing and maintenance are made easy, since the electronics come out of Novec fluid clean and dry."

3M Novec Engineered Fluids for Electronics (usa)

5xGPU Immersion Cooling

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Kanvashardas

Activity: 30
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 08:53:07 AM

One of the most important thing in mining is to take heat out of the room and not try to cool it. No mater if you don't have to pay the electric bill.
Install a fan or two and if you don't have windows in that room just install hose for air fans and drive that hot air out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: