Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:29:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Bitcoins  (Read 287 times)
emirkalyoncu (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 114

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:34:18 PM

Im pretty sure everone heard about the missing bitcoins and unaccessible wallets which has huge amount of bitcoins.There is a theory that the supply of bitcoin is not real(because of unaccsesible wallets)  and when the real amount of bitcoins revealed that is the time the real price of bitcoins will be there.What do you guys think about it or is it possible to detect unaccessible amount of bitcoin.I thought that maybe a fork would be useful to do that.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Warren Buffert

Activity: 364
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:42:20 PM

Im pretty sure everone heard about the missing bitcoins and unaccessible wallets which has huge amount of bitcoins.There is a theory that the supply of bitcoin is not real(because of unaccsesible wallets)  and when the real amount of bitcoins revealed that is the time the real price of bitcoins will be there.What do you guys think about it or is it possible to detect unaccessible amount of bitcoin.I thought that maybe a fork would be useful to do that.

Everything is open source, you can look through the code and the explorer if you want to dig through things.
emirkalyoncu (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:46:18 PM

Im pretty sure everone heard about the missing bitcoins and unaccessible wallets which has huge amount of bitcoins.There is a theory that the supply of bitcoin is not real(because of unaccsesible wallets)  and when the real amount of bitcoins revealed that is the time the real price of bitcoins will be there.What do you guys think about it or is it possible to detect unaccessible amount of bitcoin.I thought that maybe a fork would be useful to do that.

Everything is open source, you can look through the code and the explorer if you want to dig through things.
OK but what do you think about this issue should it be taken care of or you are just fine with this
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:49:43 PM

It's impossible to know which coins are lost. The only ones we can be 100% sure about are coins sent to known burn addresses. That only amounts to a few thousand. Everything else could be in deep storage.

I see plenty of people awfully keen to fork and help themselves to coins that haven't moved for a while. Their owners may take umbrage.
Bitophile

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:51:56 PM

It's impossible to know which coins are lost. The only ones we can be 100% sure about are coins sent to known burn addresses. That only amounts to a few thousand. Everything else could be in deep storage.

I see plenty of people awfully keen to fork and help themselves to coins that haven't moved for a while. Their owners may take umbrage.

Also the price would fall a lot if all the coins are back in circulation.
hadveach

Activity: 448
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:58:19 PM

I think fork is not the way to know the amount of bitcoin supply, because it's just for fixing the system, and if you want to know the bitcoin supply, you can dig it with algorithm code and you'll find out.
emirkalyoncu (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:10:41 PM

Also the price would fall a lot if all the coins are back in circulation.
I dont think it will fall it changes nothing unless the people who found the coins wants to sell those bitcoins
imapessimist

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:20:38 PM

The whole thing is a complete mystery to me.  I think I am giving up on Bitcoin.  It's too confusing.  And when I read topics like this it really does my brain.  That is why people are losing trust in Bitcoin.  Two many secretive things.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:28:12 PM

Im pretty sure everone heard about the missing bitcoins and unaccessible wallets which has huge amount of bitcoins.

What do you guys think about it or is it possible to detect unaccessible amount of bitcoin.
I thought that maybe a fork would be useful to do that.
yes we all heard and knew about unaccessible/lost wallets
but apart from those that who asked for recovering and declared lost, how can you detect them?
dormant addresses may be cold storage for some users that intentionally left it idle for years in there
and presumably lost coins today was simply misplaced private keys until the owner found it tucked away somewhere
there is no feasible way to detect or confirm lost bitcoin, how would a fork solve this?

eaLiTy

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911

Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:39:04 PM

Im pretty sure everone heard about the missing bitcoins and unaccessible wallets which has huge amount of bitcoins.There is a theory that the supply of bitcoin is not real(because of unaccsesible wallets)  and when the real amount of bitcoins revealed that is the time the real price of bitcoins will be there.What do you guys think about it or is it possible to detect unaccessible amount of bitcoin.I thought that maybe a fork would be useful to do that.
I am not sure what you are referring to about the missing bitcoins ,missing from whom  Roll Eyes but when it comes to unaccessible wallets there is nothing you can do about it,the coins are gone forever and it is not able to detect which accounts are not accessible as most of the early miners are storing their coins in their cold wallet and there is no way you can recover those coins even with a fork because you need the private key for that wallet to get those coins. Tongue
Suharti12

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:57:15 PM

Indeed a lot of bitcoin is missing, it's probably because those who have not so much care for their bitcoin at that time that the price is still cheap that ignore bitcoin, but now the regret is sure to come deep

●          ◯        M O N O P O L Y   M I L L I O N A I R E        ◯          ●
████ ███ ██ █        Diversified Gaming Platform Covering Staking, NFT and Metaverse Games        █ ██ ███ ████
Facebook     |     Twitter     |     Telegram     |     LinkedIn     |     Github     |     Discord     |     Medium     |     Reddit
kunsh

Activity: 145
Merit: 16

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2018, 11:57:41 PM

Around 4 millions of all BTC is lost on old hard drives, people forgot password, dead computers, ignorance etc... but also those coins are calculated in coinmarketcap. so you need to make real calculation
darkfox12

Activity: 56
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:02:04 AM

"According to new research from Chainalysis, a digital forensics firm that studies the bitcoin blockchain, 3.79 million bitcoins are already gone for good based on a high estimate—and 2.78 million based on a low one."

Now, how accurate was their analysis? I can't answer that.  But this will give you an idea of what the possible number of "lost" coins might truly be.  At least 2 million might be a safe guess.  
Meysa_richa

Activity: 458
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:10:23 AM

Yes it is true, even though bitcoin all amounts to 21 million when it's all done in the mine, but on the market there will be no 21 million, because I think some bitcoin may have gone missing because many lost bitcoin purses too, and this can affect expensive yes bitcoin later sometime
Silverun

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:15:59 AM

It is so impossible to access all the missing coin and wallet its been an issue ever since.
xianbits

Activity: 910
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:22:42 AM

I don't know how you came to an idea that forking would help in this issue? It is not possible to detect which one is unaccessible.
But if given the ability to know the real circulating supply of bitcoin, I am expecting a certain price rise.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▌                          ▐
▌      ███████████████     ▐
▌      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▐
▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▐
▌      █████████████▄      ▐
▌      ████      ▀███▌     ▐
▌      ████       ▐███     ▐
▌      ████      ▄███▌     ▐
▌      █████████████▀      ▐
▌      ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▐
▌      ████                ▐
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

ERSISTENCE
BUILDING THE BRIDGE ━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Protocol Powering
Next-Gen Financial Products
/            ━━━
Buy XPRT
\               ▄▄▄▄
          ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ▀██
  ▄██▀▀▀██▀        ▐█▌
 ██▀     █▀  ▄    ▄██
▐█▌        ▄██▄▄▄██▀
 ██▄      ▄██▀▀▀▀
  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ 
     ▀▀▀▀   
DeFi

▄██▄  ▀████████▄
 ▄██▀▀██▄        ▀██▄
███    ▀██▄        ███
 ▀██▄    ▀██▄    ▄██▀
   ▀██▄    ▀██▄▄██▀
     ▀██▄    ▀██▀
       ▀██▄▄██▀
         ▀██▀
NFT

▄██▄
                  ▄██▀▀██▄
       ▄██▄     ▄██▀    ▀██▄
     ▄██▀▀██▄ ▄██▀        ▀██▄
   ▄██▀    █████            ▀██▄
 ▄██▀    ▄██▀ ▀██▄            ▀██▄
██▀    ▄███▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄
PoS

ANN | Twitter | Medium | GitHub
Reddit | YouTube | Discord
Telegram ANN | Telegram Community
emirkalyoncu (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:29:31 AM

I don't know how you came to an idea that forking would help in this issue? It is not possible to detect which one is unaccessible.
But if given the ability to know the real circulating supply of bitcoin, I am expecting a certain price rise.

Im not saying fork will solve it i just said it may be helpfull somehow.Im just asking you guys if you know anything
emirkalyoncu (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:31:39 AM

"According to new research from Chainalysis, a digital forensics firm that studies the bitcoin blockchain, 3.79 million bitcoins are already gone for good based on a high estimate—and 2.78 million based on a low one."

Now, how accurate was their analysis? I can't answer that.  But this will give you an idea of what the possible number of "lost" coins might truly be.  At least 2 million might be a safe guess.  
Thats possible if those 2million bitcoins aare excluded that will cause a major coinburn which will lead to an increase to bitcoin
emirkalyoncu (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:33:53 AM
Merited by xianbits (2)

Also I have an idea.Fork happens with a condition like you will get 1:1 the new coin only if your bitcoins are in a whole new wallet system.So anyone who sends the bitcoins to the new wallet they can have the new bitcoin but if you cant they would be old trash bitcoin
xianbits

Activity: 910
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:11:07 AM
Merited by emirkalyoncu (2)

Also I have an idea.Fork happens with a condition like you will get 1:1 the new coin only if your bitcoins are in a whole new wallet system.So anyone who sends the bitcoins to the new wallet they can have the new bitcoin but if you cant they would be old trash bitcoin
This will somehow help but there are also people holding bitcoins that are not aware of this fork. I mean, we are not sure that all holders will get this information. Also, there are those who just don't care if a fork like this occurs. I think that's the reality. But still, you have a good point. As of now, all we can do is believe on the estimates from, say, Chainalysis.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▌                          ▐
▌      ███████████████     ▐
▌      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▐
▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▐
▌      █████████████▄      ▐
▌      ████      ▀███▌     ▐
▌      ████       ▐███     ▐
▌      ████      ▄███▌     ▐
▌      █████████████▀      ▐
▌      ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▐