Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:46:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Dollar Plummets as Bernanke Suggests Further Easing  (Read 3356 times)
abednego (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 04:29:10 PM

http://www.dailyfx.com/forex/market_alert/2011/07/13/U.S._Dollar_Plummets_as_Bernanke_Suggests_Further_Easing_on_Horizon.html
Chairman Bernanke noted, that “[T]he most recent data attest to the continuing weakness of the labor market: The unemployment rate increased to 9.2 percent in June, and gains in nonfarm payroll employment were below expectations for a second month.” Furthermore, he stated that long-term unemployment is a potentially severe problem for the country, as it leads to “an erosion of skills of those without work,” while simultaneously reducing “the productive potential of our economy as a whole.”
Amazing how economists and traders interpret the slightest intimation and move the market based on that!  Roll Eyes

"Quantitive Easing" is a euphimism for printing more money in a modern economy where currency is digital.  Essentially; the Fed is creating inflation to try to stimulate the economy.  This of course devalues the dollar.

What's important for us in the Bitcoin economy to realize is that the perception of Bitcoin value is related to the dollar in the same way it is other currencies.  People value the nearly everything based on its scarcity.  More dollars = less value per dollar.  Bitcoin is by nature a predictable scarcity.  Thus, as the dollar goes down in value theoretically the value of BTC/USD goes up.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 03:35:45 AM

Amazing how economists and traders interpret the slightest intimation and move the market based on that!  Roll Eyes

It's not even economists or traders.  It's bots.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 06:22:00 AM

Elections on 2012. Obama wants the Fed to inflate to create a mini-bubble and give the impression that the economy is improving so he can use it during the campaign.

Nixon did the same with Arthur Burns and the USA then went into stagflation: http://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/jep.20.4.177

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
abednego (OP)

Activity: 58

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 11:40:49 AM

Elections on 2012. Obama wants the Fed to inflate to create a mini-bubble and give the impression that the economy is improving so he can use it during the campaign.

Nixon did the same with Arthur Burns and the USA then went into stagflation: http://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/jep.20.4.177
I hope you're not right that history is repeating itself  Undecided
Enky1974

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 03:59:51 PM

The U.S. debt is in dollars guys, if the U.S. Treasury cannot redeem the debt by using tax revenue or more debt then holders of U.S. debt will simply sell their securities to the Federal Reserve:)
And for a remote reason the investors don't want to lend to the U.S. government the Fed will do it. The result in both cases would be quantitative easing on a scale never seen before, this would be incredibly bullish for U.S. and world stock markets. The U.S. government will never default on its debt. The U.S. debt ceiling negotiations is just a comic.

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:33:21 PM

The U.S. debt is in dollars guys, if the U.S. Treasury cannot redeem the debt by using tax revenue or more debt then holders of U.S. debt will simply sell their securities to the Federal Reserve:)
And for a remote reason the investors don't want to lend to the U.S. government the Fed will do it. The result in both cases would be quantitative easing on a scale never seen before, this would be incredibly bullish for U.S. and world stock markets. The U.S. government will never default on its debt. The U.S. debt ceiling negotiations is just a comic.

Actually, during the 70's there stagflation. The Fed was loose but because the capital structure was so distorted from the inflation from previous years, the stock market did not do that good. The money flowed into other areas. So watch out, with stagflation the stock market wont collapse but it will hardly keep up with price inflation. Some stocks will do good (specially the ones related with commodities), but overall I dont think it will be that good.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
R A D I X

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 05:00:42 PM

Elections on 2012.

I just wish people would realize that presidents, whether republican or democrat, really DO NOT have control of the economy. They're not like pilots in a plane. At most they're just stewardesses, with no real control over things like unemployment, markets, etc. The Fed and Congress have way more sway in it, but presidents always take credit for when economy improved (Clinton taking credit for Internet and globalization), or get blamed when the economy tanks (Bush and Obama being blamed for things caused by Congress and banks)
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:18:22 PM

I just wish people would realize that presidents, whether republican or democrat, really DO NOT have control of the economy. They're not like pilots in a plane. At most they're just stewardesses, with no real control over things like unemployment, markets, etc. The Fed and Congress have way more sway in it, but presidents always take credit for when economy improved (Clinton taking credit for Internet and globalization), or get blamed when the economy tanks (Bush and Obama being blamed for things caused by Congress and banks)

Excellent point and very true. I think that people like to feel that "someone" is in charge of things, even if they don't agree with the policies. It's hard for people to comprehend spontaneous order, let alone trust in its ability to manage resources.

AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:53:19 PM

Yea I guess that's why he's said  he's sticking to his promise to not raise the debt ceiling. Roll Eyes

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
djproject

Activity: 30

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:16:30 AM

Elections on 2012.

Well, for starts, he could nominate some people who AREN'T wealthy banksters into his cabinet and government.  Replace Bernanke.  Veto anything bad Congress attempts to do.

But of course a president would never do any of those things, so in practice, yes, you are right.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 05:43:18 AM

Elections on 2012.

Well, for starts, he could nominate some people who AREN'T wealthy banksters into his cabinet and government.  Replace Bernanke.  Veto anything bad Congress attempts to do.

But of course a president would never do any of those things, so in practice, yes, you are right.

You hire people who work in the field and have experience. That's the problem with these positions: you basically have to hire the fox to watch the chicken coup, because the fox is the only one who knows what its weaknesses are.
As for Bernanke, he follows the same school of economics most other top economists do. Hiring anyone else would result in similar decisions (even Ayn Rand fan Greenspan did Keynesian things when he thought they were prudent).
hugolp
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:50:08 AM

Yea I guess that's why he's said  he's sticking to his promise to not raise the debt ceiling. Roll Eyes

Who are you talking about? I dont understand your answer.

You hire people who work in the field and have experience. That's the problem with these positions: you basically have to hire the fox to watch the chicken coup, because the fox is the only one who knows what its weaknesses are.
As for Bernanke, he follows the same school of economics most other top economists do. Hiring anyone else would result in similar decisions (even Ayn Rand fan Greenspan did Keynesian things when he thought they were prudent).

+1

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
R A D I X

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
AyeYo

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:03:00 PM

Who are you talking about? I dont understand your answer.

+1

You just have to pull your head out of your ass, maybe actually get news from a source other than infowars, and then you'll understand.

P.S. I was talking about Obama, obviously.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
niemivh

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 07:33:06 PM

It's actually a way as Michael Hudson so brilliantly put in a recent interview on "Guns and Butter" to devalue the dollar as to lower the price of labor in this country.  Really brilliant interview.   

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
iamzill

Activity: 677
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 09:55:18 PM

Actually hiring the fox will just make things worst. You're feeding and protecting the fox that will kill your chickens at night, and he'll invite all his fox buddies for the kill.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 02:35:09 AM

Actually hiring the fox will just make things worst. You're feeding and protecting the fox that will kill your chickens at night, and he'll invite all his fox buddies for the kill.

Ok, how about, you hire a physics professor to do a physics problem, an electrician to fix an electrical problem, and a corporate business guy to fix a corporate business problem? There's just no one else to hire who will understand any of the stuff they're dealing with.
hugolp
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 08:09:50 AM

It's actually a way as Michael Hudson so brilliantly put in a recent interview on "Guns and Butter" to devalue the dollar as to lower the price of labor in this country.  Really brilliant interview.   

Its weird that you say this becuase this is standard progressive policy.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
R A D I X

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
AyeYo

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 02:52:06 AM

Its weird that you say this becuase this is standard progressive policy.

Standard progressive policy is to devalue national currency to decrease labor costs?  lol wut  Where's your citation for that bit of nutjobbery?

hugolp
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 06:18:48 AM

Standard progressive policy is to devalue national currency to decrease labor costs?  lol wut  Where's your citation for that bit of nutjobbery?

First, you should drop the attitude. You have been proven unable to answer questions about economics. But answering your question:

A quick google search: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/magazine/16Europe-t.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

Its your standard policy to resolve the disequilibriums by inflating away the debt and devaluating the real wages because you argue that wages are rigid (wages being rigid is partly true).

Its quite sad that a lot of progressives are lead by slogans and dont even know the policies they defend.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
R A D I X

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
nazgulnarsil

Activity: 672
Merit: 258

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:47:28 PM

LOL don't you love getting called a nutjob for quoting theiR OWN position to them?

fucking animals.  they'd walk off a cliff because their head is stuck up the ass of the lemming in front of them.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀