Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:06:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It seems like Mark Zuckerberg doesn't believe in Blockchain technology  (Read 368 times)
negancoin (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 126

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 08:56:28 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2018, 04:01:01 PM by negancoin

Just few days ago, Mark Zuckerberg said about Blockchain Technology:

I’m interested to go deeper and study the positive and negative aspects of these technologies, and how best to use them in our services.

and now we see the result of it :

Two of our core advertising principles outline our belief that ads should be safe, and that we build for people first. Misleading or deceptive ads have no place on Facebook.
We’ve created a new policy that prohibits ads that promote financial products and services that are frequently associated with misleading or deceptive promotional practices, such as binary options, initial coin offerings and cryptocurrency.

Banning cryptocurrency-related ads will affect lots of legitimate businesses in crypto space and Mark Zuckerberg knows that, So I think that Facebook by taking this action is showing no interested in Blockchain technology.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 09:21:54 AM

A very good decision If you ask me. I've seen some of these ads before, using known faces like Floyd Myweather etc. just to make people invest while they know they can't deliver anything they promised. This shouldn't be taken the wrong way, Facebook is just trying to protect it users. People will trust crypto more now because they will get scammed less. As for mark's statement, I wouldn't be surprised If they start accepting bitcoin by the end of the year.
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 09:41:03 AM

We’ve created a new policy that prohibits ads that promote financial products and services that are frequently associated with misleading or deceptive promotional practices, such as binary options, initial coin offerings and cryptocurrency.
Banning cryptocurrency-related ads will affect lots of legitimate businesses in crypto space and Mark Zuckerberg knows that, So I think that Facebook by taking this action is showing no interested in Blockchain technology.

Maybe they are getting some heat from US regulators. I wouldn't take it as a sign of Facebook's long term direction. They are well-positioned for the digital wallet and remittance sectors, and those will inevitably include cryptocurrencies. They might be feeling some pressure to do something after recent comments from SEC and CFTC, which hinted at upcoming actions against bad actors in the space.

The Facebook and Youtube scenes seem full of scams, referral shilling, HYIPs, etc. It's probably for the best. Hopefully this is temporary while they craft a policy that prohibits "misleading or deceptive promotional practices" but at least allows educational crypto ads.

poptok1

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756

Bobby Fischer was right

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 09:54:03 AM

A very good decision If you ask me. I've seen some of these ads before, using known faces like Floyd Myweather etc. just to make people invest while they know they can't deliver anything they promised. This shouldn't be taken the wrong way, Facebook is just trying to protect it users. People will trust crypto more now because they will get scammed less. As for mark's statement, I wouldn't be surprised If they start accepting bitcoin by the end of the year.
I'm having very similar opinion.
Besides let's face it, Facebook is a private company and they can do whatever they want on their servers.
There can't be even one mention about censorship of this or that, because of that simple fact.
Clearing the space of massive amounts of ICO related advertisement will only benefit the entire market. One thing is that people will start to do research on their own, second thing is, markets do not like vacuum. This whole "ban" will spawn some other big player, where such adds will be available. I'm not a big fan of social networks like facebook, but when it comes to "sense of business" they usually know what they are doing Smiley
ergo facecoin in 3...2...

shasimiky

Activity: 75
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 09:54:43 AM

no. The technology powering bitcoin could help improve Facebook in the future, Mark Zuckerberg has said. he believe Blockchain
dlhylton

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:01:50 AM

I don't necessarily think it's that Mark doesn't like cryptocurrencies. I just think there's a lot of scams and fraudulent ICOs that he doesn't want that on his site. Just recently, many people got scammed with BitConnect and there have been many other fradulent businesses. Therefore, I could see why he wouldn't want that on his site. To me, it makes sense. Imagine users on the site clicking on an ad and giving money to one of these scams. Then when facebook actually does implement a legitimate cryptocurrency, people who were scammed would be so turned off by it. So I could see why he would take this approach. The cryptocurrency world right now is like a needle in a haystack. There are many illegitimate coins out there and a few jewels. Picking out the jewels is not that easy. Therefore, to protect consumers and to keep the reputation of cryptocurrencies intact, it makes sense to do what facebook is doing. This is just my opinion.
cydrix

Activity: 602
Merit: 129

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:12:47 AM

I don't necessarily think it's that Mark doesn't like cryptocurrencies. I just think there's a lot of scams and fraudulent ICOs that he doesn't want that on his site. Just recently, many people got scammed with BitConnect and there have been many other fradulent businesses. Therefore, I could see why he wouldn't want that on his site. To me, it makes sense. Imagine users on the site clicking on an ad and giving money to one of these scams. Then when facebook actually does implement a legitimate cryptocurrency, people who were scammed would be so turned off by it. So I could see why he would take this approach. The cryptocurrency world right now is like a needle in a haystack. There are many illegitimate coins out there and a few jewels. Picking out the jewels is not that easy. Therefore, to protect consumers and to keep the reputation of cryptocurrencies intact, it makes sense to do what facebook is doing. This is just my opinion.
Indeed involving in such as this might ruin they're reputation and can cause serious damage or many problems in using this Technology. The Reputation along blockchain technology is not that great mark zuckerberg is just being smart. I think mark zuckerberg won't acknowledge this as a good method to use in their business.
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:18:56 AM

I do not believe facebook's anti ICO / anti crypto stance is motivated purely by humanitarianism or concern for the safety or welfare of human beings. ICO's are past peak and failing. There is virtually no one left with faith or belief in them and a great deal of negative publicity which should keep anyone who does a superficial degree of examination of ICO's from investing in them.

Facebook's banning of crypto ads could have more to do with a desire to reduce the degree to which people are exposed to concepts such as decentralization, deflationary currencies, algorithmic based supply and a host of other concepts which they do not want everyday people educated or informed of.

The advertising ban may also be motivated by a desire to mitigate the abandonment of the US dollar we see around the world with china, russia and even venezuela shifting their us dollar denominated oil transactions to the yuan and other currencies. I can think many reasons for this ban and many of them have little to do with concern for general welfare, unfortunately.
monkeydominicorobin

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:37:15 AM
Merited by AGD (1)

Just a few days ago, Mark Zuckerberg said about Blockchain Technology:

I’m interested to go deeper and study the positive and negative aspects of these technologies, and how best to use them in our services.

Two of our core advertising principles outline our belief that ads should be safe, and that we build for people first. Misleading or deceptive ads have no place on Facebook.

Three words. The Winklevoss Twins. Facebook is the brainchild of the Winklevoss twins. Mark stole their idea and now he is forced to collide with the twins yet again since the twins are backers of Bitcoin.

audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:46:35 AM

I would say its not that he does not believe in the blockchain technology but when you look at a company like Facebook, decision such as that are beyond Mark himself the company is publicly traded which means that there is a board that oversee the affairs of the company in which Mark himself have to report to or else, he might be forced out of the company.

We have read how government agencies have forced Facebook to provide details of individuals posting on its platform that is against the principles of the government in power. In some other cases, we have seen Facebook banned in some countries. Again the myriad of unscrupulous individuals have been responsible for people losing their money on Facebook and when they complain, they go their regulatory authorities which then writes to Facebook. Even now it has gotten to a point where ads I see on Facebook I write off as false. So, don't let us blame Mark but the kind of people this market have attracted and are responsible for the soiling of name that have been built.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:49:37 AM

Three words. The Winklevoss Twins. Facebook is the brainchild of the Winklevoss twins. Mark stole their idea and now he is forced to collide with the twins yet again since the twins are backers of Bitcoin.

Yeah and they have a lot more Bitcoins than Mark is ever going to have ... and he knows that.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:51:12 AM

Other question: Is Facebook part of the national security?

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
charlotte04

Activity: 504
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:53:00 AM

Maybe some whales there just payed off Mark to put up a Fud like this. I know later these days he will announce that he will take it back again.
drwhobox

Activity: 756
Merit: 133

- hello doctor who box

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:02:06 AM

He has some trust with Blockchain technology he is currently supporting NEM just to make Facebook decentralized.

I think he is just really freaking tired with the mlm(Multi-level marketing) scams that are surrounding the ads banner in facebook that can be promising to have big returns by investing money on their project.

It's much better if Mark would just filter the ads space for Facebook rather than banning it from the community
bug.lady

Activity: 196
Merit: 23

Large scale, green crypto mining ICO

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:03:50 AM

I'm having very similar opinion.
Besides let's face it, Facebook is a private company and they can do whatever they want on their servers.
There can't be even one mention about censorship of this or that, because of that simple fact.
Clearing the space of massive amounts of ICO related advertisement will only benefit the entire market. One thing is that people will start to do research on their own, second thing is, markets do not like vacuum. This whole "ban" will spawn some other big player, where such adds will be available. I'm not a big fan of social networks like facebook, but when it comes to "sense of business" they usually know what they are doing Smiley
ergo facecoin in 3...2...

I share your sentiment and also feel that this is a good move to protect the users against ICO advertisement. It doesn't in any way define the general policy of FB towards cryptocurrency and blockchains, I agree.

However I would argue with the statement that FB is a private company and they can do whatever they please with their servers. Well - they don't. I don't know the exact law that is in US, but here in Europe, at least in my country, your operations are regulated and I think it is good. You may do whatever you please AS LONG AS YOU ARE ACTING inside the boundaries of law. But FB is present in my country too, so they will need to obey the law.

For instance: there was this case quite recently that a printing company said to a client (an LGBT foundation) they would not be providing the services because they don't appreciate the LGBT movement. The client went to court and won.

Fundalini

Activity: 644
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:12:05 AM

Mark still believes in the tech, it's just that he studied it(like he said he would in his earlier statements) and chose to consider the negative sides of crypto. If that's not the case, he might be sitting in the fence here as his platform is a very influential entity and he chose to eliminate any possibility it might be held accountable if things go haywire someday.
melch100

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:20:06 AM

When do they they will start to ban it? Because I still see some ico ads there in Fb.

STAKER.network ] ━━ [ The Next Proof-of-Stake Smart Contract Token
] ⚁ 100% 1st Year Interest [ ━━ ] ⚀ Free Airdrops [
paolo099

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:23:38 AM

well, if the ads were missleading or fishy (i don't have facebook so i can't relate to that but it's easy to make an ad and make it appealing) i wouldn't blame him for this.
On the other hand wasn't him studying crypto with the idea of creating his own coin? This two stuffs can be related and i don't see any illuminati conspiration behind like being paid from whales to spread this kind of news.
bitfocus

Activity: 532
Merit: 15

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:27:06 AM

maybe facebook is getting some heat from US Regulators. Also, Mark doesn't believe in a lot of things that other people do, does that mean mark is right and others are wrong? Well, in personal life, mark is atheist and doesn't believe in religion - but most of the Facebook users do - so, does that changes believing the status of every user?
derdgzmn30

Activity: 93
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:36:06 AM

No, I think he believes on the blockchain technology because of the statement that he said that he will go study and deep understand the blockchain industry. So I guess he will help to promote more advertisements.

KRIPTON ● THE BITCOIN OF AFRICA (https://kriptonofafrica.com/)
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: