Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:22:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just built my first mining rig!! Think I may have messed up ??  (Read 132 times)
COLT601 (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:35:42 AM

Alrighty! Mining noob here and would appreciate some insight and advice. Today I put together my first mining rig. I have 7 AMD Radeon RX 580's, an Asus a270-P motherboard, 8 gigs ram, processor, ghetto home built rack, blah blah.

I couldn't find much in the way of power supplies that were not extremely over priced but was able to find two 750 watt Corsair power supplies at my local best buy, so I grabbed those.

My RX 580's have dual 6 and 8 pin connectors. I tried hooking things up many different ways but the only way I could get the cards to run and be recognized by Windows is if I have both the 6 and 8 pin connectors plugged in. If just the 8 pin is plugged the card just lights up but the fans don't spin and Windows doesn't see the card.

So having to utilize both connectors on the cards brings me to a cabling issue.  Each of the power supplies only have two 8 pin connectors and the rest are 6 pin SATA's.  Only the 8 pin cables have one of both the 8 and 6 pin connectors that go into the GPU's.  Which means currently I've only figured out how to power two cards per power supply. So I'm running 4 cards right now with 3 still sitting in their boxes.

Are there 6 pin SATA cables available that will work so I can get the other three cards running or do I need to find a new power supply??

See pictures...

https://imgur.com/q28ikBz

https://imgur.com/il1F2UG

https://i.imgur.com/xq2AM2y

Also have a couple other questions...

1. What is the max safe temperature these RX 580s can be ran at?

2. I am using Claymore's Miner to mine ITNS coin. I set my -h to 750 and one of the cards (#2) is getting 630 hs and the other three cards are getting 580-590 hs. Why is one card getting 30 more hs than the other 3?

3. When I check the mining pool on the website and plug in my mining address, it says I am getting 3400 hs, which would equate to approx 850 hs per card. A significant difference from what the mining program is reporting. Which is actually accurate?

4. What are some ways I can tweak the cards for the best performance? I get free electricity so not worried about power consumption

5. In Claymore's readme file it says to put "-tt 1" in the config file to have each GPU temperature reported every 30 seconds.  I put the "-tt 1" in the config file, saved it, and restarted the miner, but the temperatures don't report, just the hash rate stats.

6. What is the best way to configure windows 10 to keep the miner running at all times? auto updates suck.

7. Is there any software out there that can monitor the GPU's?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:59:40 PM

Well if you can try to return those power supplies , idk what do you refering as 6 pin sata ? but 6 pin and 8 pin cables are PCI e cables you need to buy 2 x 1000 watt PSU or add another PSU to the mix i really recommend against using 3 PSU on one rig but if you have no other choice this is one of the easier ways or you can use 2 IDE to 6 pin cables but some of the cables might have power shortage it might take a while to make them all work together.
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:03:58 PM

The cards have 2 connectors because they require 2 connectors to run.  You need to keep this in mind for future builds.  Best advice is to return those PSUs and get ones with more VGA connectors.  Something like 2x EVGA 1000 watts.  I prefer the GQs as they have 6 VGA spots on the PSU and many dual 6 and 6+2 connectors.  Its important that before you put your rigs together that you read as much as you can about proper powering.

Power is something you dont want to just guess on.  You may hook up something wrong and it may still work but it could catch on fire minutes, hours, or days later.  Its not worth losing your rig, home, or loved ones in a rush to get your rig up without understanding exactly what you are doing.  Be careful!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: