Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:51:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ethereum mining with fpga  (Read 1166 times)
nosratkhahp (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:52:36 AM

hi every one
our team is looking to find a way to mine ethereum using a FPGA or another suitable Alternative way.
Ethash algorithm contains DAG file so it needs a memory (~ 2GB, that's a lot more than any FPGA's BRAM), by the way increasing the difficulty made mining harder so we need more bandwidth than a regular FPGA chip, in this case, we are trying to know that is there any way for FPGA to have a parallel processing to achieve more bandwidth and hash rate ?
to solve the memory problem we need to use RAM for fpga's but is there any way to have parallel processing (several fpgas) with just one main RAM to decrease the cost ?
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
R0land

Activity: 208
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:23:53 PM

I think a fpga simulating a memorycontroller can help. But I don´t know to handle GDDR5 RAM (with 2000 MHz) with a fpga  Huh

But a modern grafic card has all you want (ok,no fpga´s, but CU´s) and is faster, cheaper and need less power compared to  fpga´s.
mshordja

Activity: 146
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 01:31:07 PM

I think a fpga simulating a memorycontroller can help. But I don´t know to handle GDDR5 RAM (with 2000 MHz) with a fpga  Huh

But a modern grafic card has all you want (ok,no fpga´s, but CU´s) and is faster, cheaper and need less power compared to  fpga´s.

to not die ignorant what fpga´s is?  Huh

nitrobg

Activity: 413
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:44:23 PM

Much smarter people than us all (no offense, really) have tried to create an ASIC for ethash and other ASIC-resistant algorithms and have failed to provide a reasonable solution besides a bunch of GPUs on a custom PCB, possibly in MXM form factor.
R0land

Activity: 208
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:57:12 PM

Sorry, english is not my native language. Maybe I misunderstood your Question.

I know what a fpga is. I made something with fpga boads including RAM, one year before. The bandwith to the RAM was very low.
The normal way to control the RAM is the slow SPI interface, so i think it is the bottle neck and must be replaced, if you want high bandwith.

But anyway, i wish you success !
nosratkhahp (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 08:14:37 AM

Sorry, english is not my native language. Maybe I misunderstood your Question.

I know what a fpga is. I made something with fpga boads including RAM, one year before. The bandwith to the RAM was very low.
The normal way to control the RAM is the slow SPI interface, so i think it is the bottle neck and must be replaced, if you want high bandwith.

But anyway, i wish you success !

As we know we are not getting the whole DAG file at the beginning also because of the FPGA's limited bandwidth (~0.8 GB/s ) there's no need to high-speed RAMs cause even the DDR2 RAM's have 1.2 GB/s bandwidth, and it will be enough for our project. We are just looking to see if its possible that several FPGA's use one main RAM for DAG file.
FatAnt

Activity: 86

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 08:44:35 AM

What makes you think a 2GB DAG size is a reasonable design goal?  Check out the info at: https://investoon.com/tools/dag_size
I presume you want your design to have a chance to ROI within a year?
How would your design be a better choice than any ol' 1081ti GPU?
nosratkhahp (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 09:32:18 AM

What makes you think a 2GB DAG size is a reasonable design goal?  Check out the info at: https://investoon.com/tools/dag_size
I presume you want your design to have a chance to ROI within a year?
How would your design be a better choice than any ol' 1081ti GPU?

I mean that with using FPGA's we can increase the size of RAM as DAG file size gets larger . in this way we do not have to spend extra money for 1080ti with 11 GB memory that even 50% of its memory size will be useless till 2024.
I don't say that I want to get the hash power of a 1080ti by a single FPGA, but I'm looking to find that will it be a better ROI  with FPGA's or not?
alga_kbk

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:06:01 AM

hi every one
our team is looking to find a way to mine ethereum using a FPGA or another suitable Alternative way.
Ethash algorithm contains DAG file so it needs a memory (~ 2GB, that's a lot more than any FPGA's BRAM), by the way increasing the difficulty made mining harder so we need more bandwidth than a regular FPGA chip, in this case, we are trying to know that is there any way for FPGA to have a parallel processing to achieve more bandwidth and hash rate ?
to solve the memory problem we need to use RAM for fpga's but is there any way to have parallel processing (several fpgas) with just one main RAM to decrease the cost ?

Hi this board maybe interesting for you https://www.bittware.com/fpga/xilinx/boards/xupvv4/#datasheet
It doesn't contain the GDDR5, but contain DDR4 and it has ultraBRAM

So you can solve memory problems designing the new board with like this chips to solve the memory bandwidth problem
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp485-hbm.pdf
https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/pdfs/literature/wp/wp-01264-stratix10mx-devices-solve-memory-bandwidth-challenge.pdf

I'm also interested in design IP core for ethash, analyzing the architecture of ethereum, haven't found yet any problem why it can't be implemented in FPGA SoC
hozerdev

Activity: 50

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 08:27:12 PM

Has anyone heard of FPGA Eth/Zec/XMr M3 miner, the BuriedOne has just published a video...
3.6 Ghs 800w???
Heks-Bilisim

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 09:10:58 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2018, 06:56:23 AM by Heks-Bilisim

Hi Hakan

Thank you for contac­ting me regarding the VCU1525 board. The manufacturer of this board, Xilinx, is keeping tight control of ordering for now due to the constra­ined supply of this product.  The delive­ry is running between 3 and 4 weeks right now for the -P ver­sion and 7-8 weeks for the -A version.  Once an order is pla­ced we can try to ex­pedite it with the factory.

Each board has been tested for Ethereum and has achieved 9.3­75MH/s rate, so to replicate and exceed your current GPU per­formance you would need 4 boards.

The orderable part numbers are DK-U1-VCU­1525-A-G for the act­ively cooled version (comes with fan) and DK-U1-VCU1525-P-G for the passively co­oled version, and the price for 1 to 24 units is $4,995.00USD each shipping from the US.

These boards come wi­th a 90 day warranty.  Orders are non-ca­ncelable, non-return­able.

I have also attached a statement of assu­rance form that we need filled out and signed to set you up in our system.

Thanks

Jason Harvey
jason.harvey@avnet.c­om

mail thrown at me
Exchange Email

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

Colo - PBX - Server - IPv4 Broker - RemotePC - VPN

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2018, 06:31:53 PM

FPGA Cards and FPGA Mining Rig NR104 https://nocroom.com/fpga/

Pages: [1]