Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:12:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Isn't mining a bit old fashion?
yes - 6 (42.9%)
no - 8 (57.1%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Isn't mining a bit old fashion?  (Read 270 times)
COTInetwork (OP)

Activity: 426
Merit: 10

Coti - Currency Of The Internet

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 12:16:51 PM

The power consumed by the internet giants’ massive server farms and the mining of the cryptocurrency are growing into a giant environmental headache.

The consequences are astonishing but predictable. According to one estimate, bitcoin mining is now consuming more electricity than 159 countries, including Ireland, Bahrain and the Slovak Republic. The same source reckons that it’s currently taking as much electricity as would be required to power 2.7m US households and that it’s responsible for 0.13% of global electricity consumption. If things go on like this, bitcoin mining will require all of Denmark’s electricity consumption by about 2020.

So... Isn't it the time to stop with it? It's not that other options are non-existent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mshordja

Activity: 146

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 01:03:51 PM

The power consumed by the internet giants’ massive server farms and the mining of the cryptocurrency are growing into a giant environmental headache.

The consequences are astonishing but predictable. According to one estimate, bitcoin mining is now consuming more electricity than 159 countries, including Ireland, Bahrain and the Slovak Republic. The same source reckons that it’s currently taking as much electricity as would be required to power 2.7m US households and that it’s responsible for 0.13% of global electricity consumption. If things go on like this, bitcoin mining will require all of Denmark’s electricity consumption by about 2020.

So... Isn't it the time to stop with it? It's not that other options are non-existent.
Mining - electric cost - maintenance = some $ than is not time to quit Cheesy

papabiz

Activity: 96

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:12:33 PM

topics like these have opened up before, join them instead of opening a new one.
better use the elec and get money from it than to spend it on heating etc ~ so mining is not stupid and waste of elec, only blind opinions are
COTInetwork (OP)

Activity: 426

Coti - Currency Of The Internet

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 02:47:40 PM

topics like these have opened up before, join them instead of opening a new one.
better use the elec and get money from it than to spend it on heating etc ~ so mining is not stupid and waste of elec, only blind opinions are

Well, if you think only money side, of course then. Not stupid at all to use it.
But isn't it the time to move on? Is money the only thing you care about?
I don't... and for sure a lot of people will think the same.
And don't get me wrong. I followed Bitcoin for a long time, for its ideology rather than for the profit made out of it. Because it had the vision.
Well, the vision continues, not the path to get there...

I am sure there are lots of topics about that opened before. Means that I am not allowed to start one myself?

Friday13

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 03:06:45 PM

This will change when more and more Coins will use POS.
Until then the most people who can make profit with mining will go on.
Mike011

Activity: 312
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 03:09:42 PM

COCK AND BULL!!!

Where are your sources? Links? Statistics? GTFO!
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 6321

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 03:16:04 PM

According to one estimate, bitcoin mining is now consuming more electricity than 159 countries

You didn't post any source, so the credibility of this dropped to zero. Also it's written in a manner to think it's 159 countries combined, which is not.
Now, ask your source how much electricity consumes worldwide all the shiny advertising all the companies put up in all the big cities around the globe. Make a comparison and then think which of the two is more meaningful.

Imho mining is just fine.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
greenfailure

Activity: 145
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 03:18:19 PM

mining isn't going anywhere, its not old fashion? Its only been around for 10 years...

The need and demand for more hashing power goes up every day, whether its to be used for mining bitcoin or an alt coin or even as a compute cluster for some other application.

So long as its possible to make even a tiny profit doing anything people will do it

Owner/Operator of LARGEST Greater Toronto Area mining operation.

BUY BITCOIN
dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:21:47 PM

oh but i suppose all the electricity and gas that the entire banking system uses is not a problem, because reasons?
sergio red

Activity: 414
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:38:35 PM

it is not old.it is become tough.and you are telling about electricity consumption, if you get profit then it doesn't matter about electricity cost.industrialization have bad effect on environment. do we stop it for environment?
if people can not get profit they definitely stop it,so don't worry.
and I don't think your sources are reliable.if sources are reliable I will give my opinion on your topic.
Pantoflascrypt017

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:43:58 PM

Doesn't every new big new technological boom show a huge increase in electricity usage at its early stages. I don't have hard numbers but i am sure that when the dot com boom took place there was also a big affect on electricity consumption with newer tech being created to satisfy the demands of the industry. Anyone my point is that this has surely happened in history it is just portrayed in different ways by the people with power so that the average joes have different perceptions on it i.e the media generally hasn't been pro cryptocurrency or bitcoin at all so of course they would use this as an argument against it.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion  ✔  Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency  ✔  TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️    ★    ✔ VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:49:44 PM

Doesn't every new big new technological boom show a huge increase in electricity usage at its early stages.

Of course!!

I think this doom and gloom sentiment specifically about mining comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of what proof of work is, how it works, why it works, its purpose in securing the network, and so on. People think it's just some unnecessary, arbitrary computing power that isn't needed. But the truth is that it is the backbone of what makes a blockchain secure, and it still has a number of significant advantages over POS, DPOS, etc. You could debate which is better, and there may be an argument that other consensus systems are better, but that's a whole different conversation.

And just as an aside, do the people complain about it not use electricity? Or gas? Of course they do. So, what, you get to decide how much electricity you can use, and how much everyone else should be using, but they can't decide for themselves? Who make you the all-knowing electricity king? This whole thing drives me bananas.

edit - there is also a lot of talk about how pow mining is incentivizing people to find more efficient electricity sources...
xenomorphe1

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:10:18 PM

I would say that mining is a bit old fashion. It cost a lot of electricity. We are seeing that a lot of coins are going to be POS or having Masternodes. But for Masternodes, they still need miners as they receive a part of the mining reward. And for POS, the more coins you have, the more rewards you are going to earn.
For any kind of economy, it is the person who has invest the most money or who has arrived the earliest who is going to earn more.
Oh, i forgot that there is also full POS coins. The dev usually distributes some coins to people at the start of the coin. But it is difficult for new coins to start, as the listing fees to appear in an exchange is very high now.
dlhylton

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:14:00 PM

Yes, mining or proof-of-work is slowly fading out. The new trend is now proof of stake (POS) which uses a few master nodes. Proof of stake is much more environment friendly and consumes much less electricity than proof of work. So many new coins that are coming out are now using proof of stake instead of proof of work. Some coins are a hybrid and use proof of stake and proof of work, which is still better. However, many coins are still mineable, so it isn't going away anytime soon. But I believe the trend is going to be less direct proof of work and either a different method or a hybrid.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:20:03 PM

One of the things that makes POW work in the first place is the fact that electricity costs money. Without consuming something, POW wouldn’t really secure the network. There’s a cost to securing any network, and in the case of most crypto this is the use of electrical power.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:24:27 PM

Of course it's old fashioned. In fact payment based on services rendered is the oldest model in history. It's a model that has proven itself and works, that's the point. No need to reinvent the wheel.
nsummy

Activity: 1178
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:39:54 PM

Please cite the figures of the electricity and resource usage of the US banking system.  How much electricity do all banks in the US use combined?  What is the electricity cost of powering servers in giant datacenters to store and backup transactions?  What are the ultility costs to keep all physical banks open.  How many trees get cut down to print paper money and much is spent on acquiring and forming the metal used in coins?  How much gas is spent on armored trucks transporting money?   And this is just one country I am talking about.  Lets see the stats for the 10 largest countries combined.

These arguments are pointless if you can't cite the resource usage of the alternative.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: