Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 05:29:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you feel it's necessary to force new members to post in the Newbie Forum before posting anywhere else (including the tech/support forum!)?
Yes - 40 (66.7%)
No - 15 (25%)
I'm too n00b to answer... - 5 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: is Newbie Forum necessary?  (Read 1201 times)
gosnmic (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 02:11:16 AM

Not sure I've ever ran into another forum which operated in such a manner ... why would it be necessary here Huh
gosnmic (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 02:55:22 AM

Just to follow up concerning the "newbie restrictions" ... I certainly understand the desire to keep a "clean" forum and see the desired "balance" they are attempting to achieve. However, they attempt to cut down on "useless spam" and yet at the same token, FORCE new members to post some "meaningful chat" consisting of a few sentences (which, is, of course, limited to THIS forum...). Quite frankly this post is probably something which constitutes both 'meaningful chat' (intellectually pointing out that they are contradicting themselves, forcing new members to attempt to come up with something meaningful, and yet separate from their desired conversations), AND is completely unnecessary in the larger scope of the forums (i.e., this really adds nothing to the bitcointalk community). Thus, they have forced me to SPAM the forums with a 'meaningful chat' which I would NOT have otherwise posted.

So stick that in your catch-22 self-referential pipe, and smoke it. (and grant me more than provisional member status  Grin )

Cool
sillyh4ck3r

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:08:48 AM

Self-referential pipe smokes itself.  Tongue
gosnmic (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:10:23 AM

Self-referential pipe smokes itself.  Tongue

And I'm the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland (seem to recall they were smoking something there on the mushroom Wink )
Hope this counts as your "meaningful post"  Cheesy
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:17:27 AM

Long ago there was a magical time where there was no Newbie section, and no user limitations for new members. No one needed X Posts and X time logged to post elsewhere, and all was wonderful. Except the literal thousands and thousands of spam bots and advertisers who would make 10,000 accounts and 100,000 posts in 10 minutes and advertise paypal and such all over the place, where it was hard to track and repair.

After that, the newbie system was added, so that before someone or some bot could cause havok to the rest of the boards, they would have to post in the newbie section, where the Newbie section moderators are ever vigilant looking for the likes of them. It is unpleasant for like 4 hours until you have full rights, and then after that the newbie restrictions are gone, and you are free to enjoy a less spammy forum.

gosnmic (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:47:06 AM

Long ago there was a magical time...

Salty - I said I totally understood the intention and understand this didn't simply come about arbitrarily! However, I would have rather seen alternative methods of implementing your anti-botting (even including some return-authentication mechanism via email; if that wasn't already tried!?). ((In addition, I TOTALLY appreciate the active role you and other moderators take in maintaining this site --- about the only thing worse than what I'm addressing is the situation when there is a total lack of moderation, with no one addressing the current happenings on the site!))

I believe many bitcoin advocates have gravitated this way due to the fact that this crypto-currency cannot be as easily manipulated as, say, the Federal Reserve (which has about as much "Federal" as Federal Express or Federal ammunition!) ... And yet, at first glance, it seems BitCoinTalk is attempting at least as much 'manipulation' in things as the Federal Reserve (forcing initial member activity including posts, "view time", type of activity, etc.). This is why I've been making such a "stink" in this thread and why I've attempted to bring it to the greater attention of this community.

While I've only recently signed up here, I've previously browsed these forums and found helpful information on more than one occasion! (and not necessarily through your search page - which can only be accessed every, how-many, seconds?...) I've also previously taken my time to input on bitcoin-related matters including (but not limited to) a technical discussion on the fairness/provability of Peerbet's raffles (http://[Suspicious link removed]/index.php?title=Fairness) ... I think their only requirement for contribution was filling out a "captcha" of either "nospam" or "no" (depending on the question Wink though I choose to register there such that anyone could tell it was me who contributed, for whatever that was worth!) Quite frankly, coming here and experiencing your excessively preventative mechanisms is a turnoff to participating in your site/forum.

I'm not trying to give you a magic bullet which will eliminate your monitoring efforts along with the posting requirements. However, I am hoping you'll continually reevaluate the bitcointalk membership/participation paradigm and consider how you can best serve the community -- both for existing, as well as new, members!

Meanwhile, thanks for all the efforts you've put in to help keep this forum up and running as efficiently/effectively as possible! Being in and around a couple forums over the years, I know how much of a time sink moderation can become!  Shocked

- Gozzy
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:32:19 AM

I agree with the Newbie jail concept, but the wait times could be shortened a little. Whitelisting helps a bit though.
Batshit

Activity: 48

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 07:15:08 AM

I am a newb and I approve of the restrictions.

Carry on.
iANDROID

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Swiss Money all around me!

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 08:35:40 AM

Without this limit(or jail if you want), scammers can easily create false account Sad
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 08:44:46 AM

Carry on.

Finally a newbie who does not complain about the Newbie section :-)
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 08:51:32 AM

there should be more restrictions IMO. but it's fine the way it is at the moment
Batshit

Activity: 48

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 12:45:19 PM

Carry on.

True.  BUT my first post was

KnCMiner Jupiters - Boards received 08/26/2013 - Awaiting ASICs
Today at 04:39:23 AM

That was waaaaaay more than 4 hours ago.  I have not logged out since and I have 1 hour to go.  You might want to look at how that timer thingy works...
AlmostThere

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 04:19:32 PM

It's just lazy admins. And it's a retarded idea, people like me send meaningless posts just to be able to post where they really want to.
Athanasios Motok

Activity: 387

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 04:26:03 PM

Long ago there was a magical time where there was no Newbie section, and no user limitations for new members. No one needed X Posts and X time logged to post elsewhere, and all was wonderful. Except the literal thousands and thousands of spam bots and advertisers who would make 10,000 accounts and 100,000 posts in 10 minutes and advertise paypal and such all over the place, where it was hard to track and repair.

After that, the newbie system was added, so that before someone or some bot could cause havok to the rest of the boards, they would have to post in the newbie section, where the Newbie section moderators are ever vigilant looking for the likes of them. It is unpleasant for like 4 hours until you have full rights, and then after that the newbie restrictions are gone, and you are free to enjoy a less spammy forum.

Good point, SaltySpitoon!  Smiley
Athanasios Motok

Activity: 387

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 04:27:18 PM

Carry on.

True.  BUT my first post was

KnCMiner Jupiters - Boards received 08/26/2013 - Awaiting ASICs
Today at 04:39:23 AM

That was waaaaaay more than 4 hours ago.  I have not logged out since and I have 1 hour to go.  You might want to look at how that timer thingy works...

You must "click around" and do things such as that so it counts for the timer!
elor70

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 05:07:06 PM

Very necessery for newbies

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:22:22 PM

Well, yes it is necessary but the restrictions are too high. I have to wait till my activity is 16 to get over this 360second limit, even though I'm pretty much informed about BTC.
I'm involved in a lot of coins, but since I didn't create an account here in time now I have to go through this.

It doesn't matter how experienced you are. It doesn't matter if you didn't make a account before now. It's too reduce spammers. If you want to get whitelisted you will have to comment in the whitelist thread stating so. A staff member will whitelist you if they think it's a good idea.
paterbitcoin

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 07:24:11 PM

If someone wants to spam he will anyway. It is not a problem to post once and wait for 4 hrs or am I missing something? There is also activity limitation which only slows down spammers, but not eliminate them.
marcovaldo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 07:29:10 PM

What do you reproach exactly to the Newbie forum?

You can read, and you said that you did, every other forum and find any information you might want about btc or altcoins.
Yes, you can't post everywhere, but you only need 1 post and to wait 4 hours, which is almost nothing.

I think that it is fine like it is. Yes, maybe you can find some better ideas, like confirmation emails, but it's working great.

I voted yes.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 08:04:57 PM

What do you reproach exactly to the Newbie forum?

You can read, and you said that you did, every other forum and find any information you might want about btc or altcoins.
Yes, you can't post everywhere, but you only need 1 post and to wait 4 hours, which is almost nothing.

I think that it is fine like it is. Yes, maybe you can find some better ideas, like confirmation emails, but it's working great.

I voted yes.

Confirmation emails would not prevent spammers. I think this system is good and prevents most spammers. Then the moderators deal with the rest of the spammers. This system has been questioned many times, but it does benefit the forum.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: