Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:10:18 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does bitcoin hate fiat money so much?  (Read 4813 times)
Kyle91 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:05:17 AM

Since there is a variety of things you can buy with it, i don't see the hate. Sure i'm all for bitcoin but i don't hate fiat money as well, i find it weird that some people just don't approve of it. Do they live off bitcoin or something? No offense. I'm just curious.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:20:53 AM

society is sick of debt money.

another point, if you live in the states, just look at ever increasing national debt - does anyone sane think it's healthy?!
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 03:28:19 AM

Since there is a variety of things you can buy with it, i don't see the hate. Sure i'm all for bitcoin but i don't hate fiat money as well, i find it weird that some people just don't approve of it. Do they live off bitcoin or something? No offense. I'm just curious.

Perhaps you are confusing hate with reasoned rejection. If you were to learn more about how fiat money works, you might reach the same conclusions.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:57:01 AM

Watch vids in my signature

vaio127

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 04:05:30 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mII9NZ8MMVM

Another great video on the subject.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 04:07:43 AM

I think you'll find that a lot of folks in the Bitcoin community prefer to live below their means and accumulate savings.  Those who live beyond their means and tend to accumulate debt sometimes have a hard time understanding Bitcoin and are actually better off with fiat.

Money isn't just a medium of exchange.  It's also a store of value.  Bankers can't steal the purchasing power of bitcoins by creating more of them and then handing them over to politicians like they can with fiat.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
rtt

Activity: 48

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 04:12:14 AM

Simple:

Bitcoin, chosen by each participant in the network freely = freedom
Fiat forced upon us by governments = slavery

I, a free man need no fucking Nimrod-In-Chief and his clique to tell me how to live my life. In fact, I find their presence harmful.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 05:37:59 AM

Hate is inward-directed negativism.  

Just buy low and sell high.  Don't worry about the rest.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 06:01:35 AM

I think the core objection to fiat money is that the issuer can create an unlimited quantity of it, depriving other people of value and imposing a hidden tax.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 06:10:57 AM

Upon reading the title of this thread, I couldn't help but wonder why rocks hate moving water.
jmbb28

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:17:18 AM

You've probably just opened a huge can of worms here, my friend. Grin  This is a deep and interesting topic that could span many books, but here is my abridged take, the ideas of which permeate the other comments in the thread.

The core basis beyond Bitcoin's popularity runs deeper, IMHO, than merely that fiat is inflationary and can be created by the press of a button by a certain privileged few, although that is certainly a big part of it.  In fact, as I'm sure many people on this board knows, it wasn't always the case that the US dollar was inflationary.  In fact, at one point in time, the US dollar was pegged to gold, and it wasn't until quite recently that the dollar became free-floating.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_shock.  A free-floating dollar, printable by the Fed, enables all sorts of activities that are favorable to some, and not favorable to others.  While it is true that the dollar as it exists today benefits USG and enables it to do all sorts of things it would otherwise be unable to do, it would be incorrect to say that the dollar as it exists today only benefits the government.  An inflationary currency, generally speaking, benefits debtors at the expense of savers.  In addition to this, the current structure of USG and its banks allows certain parties to benefit more from the money-printing than others.  Those closer to the creation of money can reap the benefits of this new money before its effects are distributed to the wider populace.  In the US, these are mainly banks and other entities that have close ties with the Fed and central government.

My view is that Bitcoin is popular because it confers great power to the individual, power that central governments have managed to co-opt for most of history.  Indeed, the power of coinage is one of the greatest weapons a government can have, and enables the government to do one main thing that it would otherwise be unable to do - grow.  Giving up this power is something governments will not abide.  It is not a coincidence that Bitcoin is popular among a certain group of techno-libertarians, and population subset that doesn't conveniently align with the traditional political classifications that we're taught to identify with.  Having this as background with give a lot of context to the hostility of governments have for Bitcoin and virtual currencies.  While many might view Bitcoin has merely a new virtual currency that make certain payments easier and more cheaply, governments are quite aware of Bitcoin's true implications.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 09:30:51 AM

Learn some real history and not the bullshit in schools or universities, then you'll understand precisely why many people in the Bitcoin users hate paper money Smiley I've actually decided I won't do business in paper anymore unless it's absolutely necessary. Nevermind all the economics stuff behind it, those twats will do anything to get your personal information and credit/debit card information so this is the best way I can think of to tell them to fuck off.
Nigeria Prince

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:32:51 AM

I've actually decided I won't do business in paper anymore unless it's absolutely necessary.
How you buy food?
Bitcoin?
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 08:14:48 PM

I've actually decided I won't do business in paper anymore unless it's absolutely necessary.
How you buy food?
Bitcoin?

i've been looking up #bitcoin on instagram a lot lately. have been seeing more and more pictures of business popping up that accept bitcoin. i encourage instagram users to photograph and post the businesses / shops name and location that accept BTC using hashtags. if you have a shop, put a BTC accepted here logo in your window. this form of advertisement helps your business and the btc economy and makes it easier for folks who want to use bitcoin exclusively.
Kyle91 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:08:44 PM

Learn some real history and not the bullshit in schools or universities, then you'll understand precisely why many people in the Bitcoin users hate paper money Smiley I've actually decided I won't do business in paper anymore unless it's absolutely necessary. Nevermind all the economics stuff behind it, those twats will do anything to get your personal information and credit/debit card information so this is the best way I can think of to tell them to fuck off.

do you live on the streets with canned foods or something?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 01:42:06 PM

Why does bitcoin hate fiat money so much?

Coz Bitcoin won't survive if its price is not 1000000+ USD for a coin. This possible only if all fiat currencies die.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 08:07:15 PM

How you buy food?
Bitcoin?

i've been looking up #bitcoin on instagram a lot lately. have been seeing more and more pictures of business popping up that accept bitcoin. i encourage instagram users to photograph and post the businesses / shops name and location that accept BTC using hashtags. if you have a shop, put a BTC accepted here logo in your window. this form of advertisement helps your business and the btc economy and makes it easier for folks who want to use bitcoin exclusively.

nice idea ! put up a thread  Smiley
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 08:36:04 PM

Bitcoin hates nothing and no one.  Some of the bitcoiners don't understand how fiat works, and, like most dull normals, hate what they can't understand.
Throughout history, mankind had a love/hate relationship with money -- from Biblical "... love of money is the root of all evil" to money changers, bankers & the rich, money was simultaneously envied & loathed by the great unwashed.
Nothing much changed:  The same bitcoiners who hate bankers are lending bitcoins at hyper-usurious rates, plan on becoming filthy rich without putting in work, and ape the real financial sector in every way open to them -- from trading on mock stocks exchanges to profiteering from currency instability to swindling each other with ponzi schemes.
It's a bit of inept imitation, a bit of a cargo cult, and plenty of envy-fueled hate -- of the scammers who did it first & did it right.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 08:47:13 PM

Bitcoin hates nothing and no one.  Some of the bitcoiners don't understand how fiat works, and, like most dull normals, hate what they can't understand.
Throughout history, mankind had a love/hate relationship with money -- from Biblical "... love of money is the root of all evil" to money changers, bankers & the rich, money was simultaneously envied & loathed by the great unwashed.
Nothing much changed:  The same bitcoiners who hate bankers are lending bitcoins at hyper-usurious rates, plan on becoming filthy rich without putting in work, and ape the real financial sector in every way open to them -- from trading on mock stocks exchanges to profiteering from currency instability to swindling each other with ponzi schemes.
It's a bit of inept imitation, a bit of a cargo cult, and plenty of envy-fueled hate -- of the scammers who did it first & did it right.

That was better than average.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 08:57:30 PM

I think hate it the wrong word.  Anger it is more like it.

I think this (directly from the horse's mouth) sum up the reason for our fear/anger/hate nicely:

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?id=BASE

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: