Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:22:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin tips: the 10 Commandments  (Read 527 times)
reck1ess (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 30

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:11:03 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2018, 03:40:52 AM by reck1ess
Merited by jossiel (1), Dart18 (1), drwhobox (1), Xenrise (1), Chikitita2004 (1), erzascarlet_30 (1)

BITCOIN 10 COMMANDMENTS

#1 Never invest more than you are able to lose.
#2 Store your coins across different wallets. (For larger amount of bitcoin, HARDWARE WALLET is highly recommended) - Note: If you don’t have ownership of your private keys, you don’t own Bitcoin.
#3 Unless you trade very often, always withdraw your funds from exchanges and store them on offline wallets.
#4 Understand and respect the idea of bitcoin and the intended direction set out by the creator and developers.
#5 Take time to read news in full and assess if it is accurate and what it means, do not believe everything you read or hear.
#6 Never allow your emotions to dictate your decisions, always take time to consider decisions and remove panic/fear from them.
#7 Hold a diverse portfolio of cryptocurrencies to reduce risk. (need better suggestions: to be replace)
#8 Practice safe practices with passwords and private keys, do not ever share these with anyone under any circumstances. Give your cryptocurrency addresses instead. Always backup you wallet/private key and store it on multiple locations. (better if it is hand written)
#9 Always put secondary securities if available.
#10 Buy low, sell high. (Just buy on the dips and hold) HODL!

So i was thinking of a good idea to help beginners to start their journey in bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Then i came into this.
Would appreciate if you can contribute some suggestions that are better than mine so I can replace other commandments to make it look more better and helpful to freshers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some of my threads that might be also helpful to you
Bitcoin Tips
Bitcoin Starter pack:       https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2861680
The 10 Commandments: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2856970.0
Bullish & Bearish Flag:   https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2843383
Factors that affect bitcoin price: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2867326
Avoiding Scams: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2874379

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trobin

Activity: 177
Merit: 102

🤖UBEX.COM 🤖

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:24:11 PM
Merited by reck1ess (1)

BITCOIN 10 COMMANDMENTS

1. Do not buy more bitcoin if you can't afford to lose them.
2. Do not store everything in one wallet/exchange.
3. Buy on the dips, sell on the peaks.
4. Honor the creator and the developers.
5. Do not believe on everything you see on the news.
6. Do not buy/sell panic.
7. You should have other cryptocurrencies beside me(bitcoin).
8. Do not give you private keys.
9. Give your cryptocurrency addresses instead.
10. Always put secondary securities if available.

So i was thinking of a good idea to help beginners to start their journey in bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Then i came into this.
Would appreciate if you can contribute some suggestions that are better than mine so I can replace other commandments to make it look more better and helpful to freshers.

Not really changing them but just writing them a little differently:

1. Never invest more than you are able to lose.
2. Store your coins across different wallets/exchanges.
3. Buy low, sell high.
4. Understand and respect the idea of bitcoin and the intended direction set out by the creator and developers.
5. Take time to read news in full and assess if it is accurate and what it means, do not believe everything you read or hear.
6. Never allow your emotions to dictate your decisions, always take time to consider decisions and remove panic/fear from them.
7. Hold a diverse portfolio of cryptocurrencies to reduce risk.
8. Practice safe practices with passwords and private keys, do not ever share these with anyone under any circumstances.

9 and 10 I didn't really like so maybe they can be the ones you change, overall though it's really great advice for anyone starting out and covers the real basics.

bigmaster23

Activity: 518
Merit: 106

WWW.BLOCKCHAIN021.COM

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:30:33 PM

Such a good insight on crypto, I give you a big THUMBS UP for giving such informative context on Whats,  Shocked

You giving us an ease following these commandments,.

reck1ess (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:31:38 PM

BITCOIN 10 COMMANDMENTS

1. Do not buy more bitcoin if you can't afford to lose them.
2. Do not store everything in one wallet/exchange.
3. Buy on the dips, sell on the peaks.
4. Honor the creator and the developers.
5. Do not believe on everything you see on the news.
6. Do not buy/sell panic.
7. You should have other cryptocurrencies beside me(bitcoin).
8. Do not give you private keys.
9. Give your cryptocurrency addresses instead.
10. Always put secondary securities if available.

Not really changing them but just writing them a little differently:

2. Store your coins across different wallets/exchanges.
3. Buy low, sell high.
4. Understand and respect the idea of bitcoin and the intended direction set out by the creator and developers.
5. Take time to read news in full and assess if it is accurate and what it means, do not believe everything you read or hear.
6. Never allow your emotions to dictate your decisions, always take time to consider decisions and remove panic/fear from them.
8. Practice safe practices with passwords and private keys, do not ever share these with anyone under any circumstances.

9 and 10 I didn't really like so maybe they can be the ones you change, overall though it's really great advice for anyone starting out and covers the real basics.

Thanks for your cooperation. I will be applying this if you wouldn't mind.

tophe15

Activity: 280
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:34:32 PM

Do not use bitcoin for betting? "Double the price in just an hour of playing". We all know betting is all about chances and the chances is really low. Also, don't use bitcoin if you're buying low amount or low value prices because the transaction fees might be higher than your original payment right? In the 7th commandment, we must be really careful in choosing an alternate cryptocurrency because there are many ponzi scheme platform today and I suggest go to ETH or LTC Cheesy
jossiel

Activity: 2968
Merit: 632

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:50:49 PM

Nice commandment, you did really a great job for summarizing it for newbies.

With #2 you can also add this, store your coins through hardware wallets for better security.

I give you a big THUMBS UP
You can merit him instead for appreciation.  Grin

▄██████████████
███████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀░
███████████▀▄░█
██████████░███░
███████▀▀░▀▀█▀▀
█████▀░░░░░░░▀▄
█████░░░░░░░░░█
█████▄░░░░░░░▄▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄███
███████████████
▀██████████████
▄██████████████
███████████████
████████████▀██
█████████▀▀░░░▀
████████░░░░░░░
██████░░░░░░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░
██████▄░░░░▄▄▄░
█████████▀▀░░░▀
████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████
▀██████████████
▄██████████████
███████████████
██████████▀▀▀▀▀
███████▀░▀█▄░░░
██████░░░░░█▄░▄
█████░░▄▄▄▄▄██▀
█████▀▀▀░░░░▄█▄
█████░░░▄▄█▀▀░█
██████▄█▀▀░░░░▀
███████▄▄░░░░░░
██████████▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████
▀██████████████
▄████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
█████████████░████████████
████████████▀▄████████████
█████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀█████
████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████
████░░░██░██░░░░█░░░░░████
████░░░▄▄▀▄▄░░▀▀▄▀▀░░░████
████▄░░▀▀░▀▀░░░░▀░░░░▄████
█████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█████
▀████████████████████████▀
reck1ess (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:03:18 PM

Nice commandment, you did really a great job for summarizing it for newbies.

With #2 you can also add this, store your coins through hardware wallets for better security.

Thanks for contribution. Will be adding this.

I give you a big THUMBS UP
You can merit him instead for appreciation.  Grin
I would be glad if my posts deserves your merits  Cheesy This would also encourage us to create more constructive and unique posts.

drwhobox

Activity: 756
Merit: 133

- hello doctor who box

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:10:14 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2018, 06:34:06 PM by Mahirap

You have really did a nice job by explaning what is Bitcoin to newbies here! You do deserve a merit for this contructive and creative thread!
I personally agree with what you said for most of the part. But for hodl? I think it's a bad move to hodl the best way to earn is from making your money go and trade it into other currencies rather than just saving it. Be a risk taker!

You're making things for them really easy. Big thumbs up!
ovcijisir

Activity: 1483
Merit: 321

🐪 https://freebitco.in/?r=38535612

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 05:14:57 PM

For 2.) I would add "always backup you wallet/private key and store it on multiple locations"

bitcoinfrings

Activity: 110
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:17:30 PM

Wao excellent commandments Grin
Caesar-Giulius

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:19:24 PM

Nice read and thanks for your contribution. For point 2, I guess storing coins in exchanges are not that safe. It is better to keep in a wallet you control the private keys.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████▀██████████████
█████████▄▄      ▀▀██▀╜  ▀▀███████████
████████████▄       ██   ▀^╓▀█████████
██████████████      ║█    ,▀██████████
█████████████▄▄      █▌   ████████████
████████████████▄     ▀█▄  ███████████
████████████████▀,,,    ╙▀▀█▀ ████████
█████████████████▀▀▀█▄▄       ████████
███████████████▀     ▀███████▀████████
██████████████▌       ▐█* ▀▓▀ ████████
████████████*██▄     ▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄████████
██████████▀`  ▀██▄   ▀████████████████
████████▀`  ▄█████▌   ╙███████████████
████████▄,   ▀████ ,,,  "▀▀███████████
██████████,,,,, ╙█▄███▄▄,,,,╙▀████████
L B X.

■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■
The London Block Exchange
■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■

WDownload OnW
[.
          ▄▄█▀
         ███▀
   ▄▄▄▄  ▀  ▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████▄██████▌
▐██████████████▌
███████████████
▐██████████████▌
 ███████████████▌
  ██████████████▌
   ▀████▀▀▀████▀
/      ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▐
     ▄█▀████▀█▄
    ▐██████████▌
 ▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
 ▀▀ ████████████ ▀▀
    ▀██████████▀
      ▐██  ██▌
      ▐██  ██▌
]

Flexystar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 227

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:26:51 PM

BITCOIN 10 COMMANDMENTS

2. Store your coins across different wallets/exchanges. (store your coins through hardware wallets for better security)
3. Buy low, sell high.
8. Practice safe practices with passwords and private keys, do not ever share these with anyone under any circumstances. Give your cryptocurrency addresses instead.
9. Always put secondary securities if available.
10. HODL!

These are very good commandment and helpful points to understand how we can go with the Bitcoin in perfect way. Many mistakes are done when we use bitcoin or invest into bitcoin and this is nothing but the life saver I think. I have made many mistakes such as not understanding the whole thing and just investing into it without much knowledge. Lost money many time during the process. That's why I find these very important.

10. HODL!

Yes off course I can never forget this one and already got bad experience in the last year, so I'm as good as not selling it for whole year this time.  Wink
reck1ess (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:38:52 PM

BITCOIN 10 COMMANDMENTS

2. Store your coins across different wallets/exchanges. (store your coins through hardware wallets for better security)
3. Buy low, sell high.
8. Practice safe practices with passwords and private keys, do not ever share these with anyone under any circumstances. Give your cryptocurrency addresses instead.
10. HODL!

These are very good commandment and helpful points to understand how we can go with the Bitcoin in perfect way. Many mistakes are done when we use bitcoin or invest into bitcoin and this is nothing but the life saver I think. I have made many mistakes such as not understanding the whole thing and just investing into it without much knowledge. Lost money many time during the process. That's why I find these very important.

10. HODL!

Yes off course I can never forget this one and already got bad experience in the last year, so I'm as good as not selling it for whole year this time.  Wink
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, i also experience the same thing as you before. Where I lost a decent amount due to wrong investment and panic selling and buying because of FUDs. And this thing lead me to this idea so that it may help beginners to start the right track.

Nice read and thanks for your contribution. For point 2, I guess storing coins in exchanges are not that safe. It is better to keep in a wallet you control the private keys.

Indeed. In number 2, my point is that we shouldn't store or hold our coins and tokens all in one place(wallet/exchange) for if that wallet or exchange causes an issue or problem then it is the easiest way to lose everything.

For 2.) I would add "always backup you wallet/private key and store it on multiple locations"
Thanks for your contribution, i think i would add this in number 8 instead.

tora

Activity: 532
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:39:37 PM

Don't fall for the trolls on troll boxes on exhanges
Don't get involved in pump and dump groups.
jlanzago

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

Cryptomooniac - to the moon and beyond...

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 05:45:20 PM

I don't agree with some, would add:

a - NEVER leave any bitcoin / crypto on exchanges. Store them only in wallets where you control your private keys. If you hold large amounts, it is wise to invest in a hard wallet.

b - ALWAYS backup your passphrase / security phrase / passwords / private keys, and have them offline or encrypted.
TheySeeMeHodlingTheyHatin

Activity: 70
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:52:08 PM

BITCOIN 10 COMMANDMENTS

3. Buy low, sell high.
8. Practice safe practices with passwords and private keys, do not ever share these with anyone under any circumstances. Give your cryptocurrency addresses instead. Always backup you wallet/private key and store it on multiple locations. (better if it is hand written)
10. HODL!

2. ONLY store in hardware wallets.
3. DONT SELL (CHECK COMMANDMENT NUMBER 10)
7. Buying different crypto currencies DOES NOT diversify your portfolio. They are the same class of assets.
Xenrise

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:56:41 PM

BITCOIN 10 COMMANDMENTS

#1 Never invest more than you are able to lose.
#2 Store your coins across different wallets/exchanges. (store your coins through hardware wallets for better security)
#3 Buy low, sell high.
#4 Understand and respect the idea of bitcoin and the intended direction set out by the creator and developers.
#5 Take time to read news in full and assess if it is accurate and what it means, do not believe everything you read or hear.
#6 Never allow your emotions to dictate your decisions, always take time to consider decisions and remove panic/fear from them.
#7 Hold a diverse portfolio of cryptocurrencies to reduce risk.
#8 Practice safe practices with passwords and private keys, do not ever share these with anyone under any circumstances. Give your cryptocurrency addresses instead. Always backup you wallet/private key and store it on multiple locations. (better if it is hand written)
#9 Always put secondary securities if available.
#10 HODL!

This is the shortest explanation on how to trade as a newbie. I really agree on your points. Those points were the things I know in trading. And in trading, I bet that newbies can win trades not much of a high profit but at least a win because of this commandment. I commend you for this.
OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 4718
Merit: 4223

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 07:39:57 PM

#2 should really be replaced with something along the lines of, “If you don’t have ownership of your private keys, you don’t own Bitcoin.”

Storing coins on exchanges should never be advised.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4598

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 07:43:53 PM

#2 should really be replaced with something along the lines of, “If you don’t have ownership of your private keys, you don’t own Bitcoin.”

Also, it is impossible to keep all these commandments.

If I follow #3 (sell high), then I break and #10 (HODL), and vice versa.

And #7 has nothing to do with Bitcoin!  Why would you recommend that someone diversify into scams?  If they are going to diversify, then they should think about precious metals or other commodities, or securities (stocks), or bonds.  Moving form Bitcoin to other cryptocurrencies is NOT diversification.
reck1ess (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 05:31:43 AM

I don't agree with some, would add:

a - NEVER leave any bitcoin / crypto on exchanges. Store them only in wallets where you control your private keys. If you hold large amounts, it is wise to invest in a hard wallet.

b - ALWAYS backup your passphrase / security phrase / passwords / private keys, and have them offline or encrypted.

Copy that, I would be re editing my post to improve its effectiveness and to help the newbies avoid losing profit.

Okay, i will be just adding those as a note in number 2.

2. ONLY store in hardware wallets.

2. Storing in hardware wallet is the best option we have although for us who have only small amount of bitcoin in hand, storing in hardware wallet would just cause us to spend much. But i will put it as a note to #2 to store on hardware wallet if you are dealing with large amount of bitcoin.

3. DONT SELL (CHECK COMMANDMENT NUMBER 10)
Right now, bitcoin is fluctuating too much that is why for now it is the most effective way, to buy and sell. But on other hand holding would be a better idea for long terms.

7. Buying different crypto currencies DOES NOT diversify your portfolio. They are the same class of assets.
I was planning to change this also once i get some suggestion of better replacement for this.

Also, it is impossible to keep all these commandments.

If I follow #3 (sell high), then I break and #10 (HODL), and vice versa.

And #7 has nothing to do with Bitcoin!  Why would you recommend that someone diversify into scams?  If they are going to diversify, then they should think about precious metals or other commodities, or securities (stocks), or bonds.  Moving form Bitcoin to other cryptocurrencies is NOT diversification.
I remove the idea of storing on exchange, The reason of adding the sell on high is because of too much fluctuation lately, I can just remove this later if it is not effective. And the #10 is for long term.
If you can give a better suggestions and contribution, we can change or replace the #7.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: