Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:54:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Samsung to Manufacture BTC Mining ASIC  (Read 210 times)
shamzblueworld (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 05:42:40 PM

Korean electronics giant Samsung is the latest chip manufacturer to enter the bitcoin mining hardware market. The company’s foundry has reportedly already began producing ASIC chips for a Chinese client earlier this month.

News: https://news.bitcoin.com/samsung-enters-bitcoin-mining-asic-manufacturing-business/

Do you think now that there is more competition: bitcoin mining equipment will become cheaper?
What impact will this have?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6115

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:46:56 PM

The more competition, the better. We don't want for Bitmain to control the market forever. I'm not sure I understand what 'began producing ASIC chips for a chinese client' means though. If not everyone will be able to buy them then there will be no impact.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jlanzago

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

Cryptomooniac - to the moon and beyond...

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 05:47:19 PM

I think it depends on power consumption. Mining is no longer very attractive unless you have very cheap energy and power efficient equipment. Currently mining is not decentralized and this is in my opinion one of the problems to be solved in Bitcoin.
Jr.

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

Blockchain with a Purpose

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:50:40 PM

As for me the more option the better, just think if you have many option then you can choose between them, like how's the quality differ from each other, and what's more they can offer....

tge.HORYOUToken.io    ■))   BLOCKCHAIN WITH A PURPOSE
▐ ███████████████   JOIN THE TGE   《《《 ▀ ▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Minnie1928

Activity: 140
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:52:43 PM

And this is the reason why the crypto industry will not fall and vanish. Samsung is just a start of integration among the global companies. All the companies will follow this lead step by step. The price of the ASIC will for sure be extremely high but with the technology that the Samsung can provide buyers will be more than satisfied. Samsung is taking this first step very smartly by my opinion and this will lead to the acceptation of the cryptomarket amongst the ones that still ain't convinced yet what the term decentralization can bring to them.

▶▶  [ WHITEPAPER ]  ◀◀              i v y              ▶▶  [ JOIN US NOW! ]  ◀◀
Ivy Disrupts The US$5 Trillion Per Day Money Transfer Market
TELEGRAM   ●   FACEBOOK   ●    TWITTER    ●   YOUTUBE   ●   LINKEDIN
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:17:47 PM

The more competition, the better. We don't want for Bitmain to control the market forever. I'm not sure I understand what 'began producing ASIC chips for a chinese client' means though. If not everyone will be able to buy them then there will be no impact.

Lol, all the people already mining with the GPU and the asic hardware will find heavy difficulty even for mining cheap altcoins they who will mine the mines that would become difficult and fees may grow like anything before.
Since China banned I don't like that it should be go to better place like bitcoin is legal.
Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:20:59 PM

The competition follows to prices go lower, but the quality go higher. I just wander why exactly BTC? They should to wide the assortment with other coins as well, but maybe that is only in perspective.
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:24:06 PM

Seems a bit vague, and it doesn't look like they're explicitly producing ASICs for the public.

In the unlikely scenario that they actually are going to be competing with BITMAIN, it would certainly be helpful, since the more competition there is in the market the better in the context.

It's interesting to see that Samsung is at least showing some interest in crypto anyway - like when they repurposed some old phones to create a mining rig.
farhaan

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:33:01 PM

Korean electronics giant Samsung is the latest chip manufacturer to enter the bitcoin mining hardware market. The company’s foundry has reportedly already began producing ASIC chips for a Chinese client earlier this month.

News: https://news.bitcoin.com/samsung-enters-bitcoin-mining-asic-manufacturing-business/

Do you think now that there is more competition: bitcoin mining equipment will become cheaper?
I think that the pleasant days of Bitmain,the chinese company when it dominated the entire mining industry would come to an end soon.

Just before few months,japan's internet giant GMO said that it would start manufacturing ASIC miners and now the korean electronic company has entered the mining market.More the competition,the price of ASIC miners would get cheaper which would help more mining farms to develop all over the world which would avoid centralization of bitcoin mining.

▄▄ ▀█▄▀█▄ ▄ ▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀ ▄
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀█ ▄█▀  ███▀██▄▄▀
█████▀▀█ ██  ███ ██████▄▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄█ ██▌  ███▄▀██████▄▀
█████▀ ▀▄ ██▄  ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▄█▄▀
 ▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▀▄ ▀██▄  ▀▀████████▐▌█
  ██████  ▀▄ ▀██▄▄   ▀▀▀▀▀ ▐▌█▀
   ▀██▀  ▄▄▀▀▄ ▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ █▀▄
       ▄███▀  ▀█▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▀ ▀▄
       ▀██▀  ▄███  ▀█▀▀█▀▀▀▄ █▄
            ▄███  ▐██▌ ██▌ █▄ ▀
              ▀   ███  ███  ▀
ONSTELLAR   ▄████▄▄
  █████  █▄
 ▐██████████▄▄
 ▐███████████▀█▄
 ██████▀▀▀▀████▀
 █████           ▄▄▄▄                        ▄▄▄
▐█████▌       ▄▄███████        ▄▄████▄      ▀▀███
███████      ███████████      ████████▌       ███
███████▌    ███████▀▀▀███    ▐████   ▀▀
████████   ▐██████▌    ▀▀     ▀▀▀
█████████  ███████
▐█████████   ▀▀▀▀
  ▀██████▀
FROM THE PARANORMAL TO THE METAPHYSICAL
THE WORLD'S FIRST SOCIAL NETWORK
WHERE THE UNEXPLAINED LIVES...

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄▄▄▄▄█████████████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄█████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████▄
█████████████████▀
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄▀█████████████████
████████████████
███████████████ ████████████████
▀██████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀▄██████████████▀
▀▀▀██████████████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████▀▀▀▀▀
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
TELEGRAM
drwhobox

Activity: 756
Merit: 133

- hello doctor who box

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:36:25 PM

Bitcoin equipment for mining would just be cheaper than tha useual price. We don't want Bitmain to take over the mining business here. They have alot of negative feed backs with their services and products. It's time for someome to step on the game and change the way it is rather than sticking to one companey that has alot of power in mining.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:36:55 PM

I got hyped out at this, turn out we aren't going to be seeing a clash of Bitmain vs Samsung anytime soon. I think if I understood the news correctly, that Samsung isn't going to be competing as a mining brand.

There are lot of clickbait articles out there that were misleading people making them thinking Samsung will not be manufacturing their own ASICS but it's something else.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 06:44:00 PM

I got hyped out at this, turn out we aren't going to be seeing a clash of Bitmain vs Samsung anytime soon. I think if I understood the news correctly, that Samsung isn't going to be competing as a mining brand.

There are lot of clickbait articles out there that were misleading people making them thinking Samsung will not be manufacturing their own ASICS but it's something else.

Yeah that's also what I got out of the article, seems like they're only going to manufacture chips for existing mining hardware makers.
But Samsung is actually making the asic chips, just not under their own brand so to say.

It'll still be good for miner, I think, if Samsung starts mass production of these chips, prices could very well drop?

tomahawk9

Activity: 2086
Merit: 994

Cats on Mars

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:52:15 PM

Well, it's good to see that the biggest conglomerate in South Korean has taken an interest in Bitcoin, but from the article:

" It has earlier signed a contract with a Chinese bitcoin mining hardware maker to supply it with chips".

I'm all goof for more competition and decentralised mining, but if Samsung is just helping the mining cartel (Jihan & Co.), then I don't think this will have that much of an impact unfortunately, unless the chinese company decides to sell the chips to the public.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW
Reatim

Activity: 2828
Merit: 357

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 07:23:47 PM

It will not have any significant impact to the current price of bitcoin mining gear. It says that Samsung will just manufacture it for a Chinese client (I'm assuming its Bitmain). On the contrary, the price will be more expensive because its already outsourced outside of China.

Let's see how GMO reacts though. I understand that they are building their own mining hardware to compete with Bitmain but it will probably take a year to mass produce it. Unfortunately, we are still at the mercy of Jihan and his company.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 08:06:04 PM

Yeah that's also what I got out of the article, seems like they're only going to manufacture chips for existing mining hardware makers.
But Samsung is actually making the asic chips, just not under their own brand so to say.

It'll still be good for miner, I think, if Samsung starts mass production of these chips, prices could very well drop?

I don't think Samsung would just accept that they were just the manufacturer and not putting their name to that product. Besides, Samsung is a big company and i'm sure there must be something that's why they would do it but it has really no impact if they don't sell it all over the world. Bitmain will be bothered if Samsung sell it globally and the impact is great that could make the mining hardware price to get low. If this article is real.

bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:06:21 PM

I don't think Samsung would just accept that they were just the manufacturer and not putting their name to that product. Besides, Samsung is a big company and i'm sure there must be something that's why they would do it but it has really no impact if they don't sell it all over the world. Bitmain will be bothered if Samsung sell it globally and the impact is great that could make the mining hardware price to get low. If this article is real.
All depends on price. Bitman can pay a higher price for the chips and they can agree that Samsung won't sell them to anyone else. If Samsung wants to start selling these chips to the masses (to generate a higher income), they should build up the marketing, the sales channels, logistics, etc. which costs money for them, and resources, staff, etc.  So if they can agree on a decent price (Bitmain can buy it's monopol status), Samsung won't bother to sell the chips globally. Anyway, the chips are useless on their own, they have to be implemented into some cards, boards, etc. that means there will be less potential customers, mainly GPU or mainboard manufacturer companies.
digger888

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 06:04:46 AM

It’s not clear exactly what sort of products Samsung will be making, but according to reports from Korean media, it’ll be working with Taiwanese firm TSMC. The company currently supplies chips for a number of firms set up solely to mine cryptocurrencies, including the China-based Bitmain. Meeting the demand for these chips has added around $350 million to $400 million to its quarterly revenue, says TSMC.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/31/16954366/bitcoin-cryptocurrency-mining-asic-chips-samsung

It is a bit of speculation at the moment as no one knows for certain. It is best to load up on BTC and BCC to get ready for the next batch of new miners in the coming months. Maybe weeks?Huh
NeedNoFee

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 06:05:54 AM

This is good news, I' will look foward this and see if they bring some of this excelent product to my country, shipping charges for miners nowadays are huge for me.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 06:11:51 AM

price of anything is based on supply and demand more than anything else.
so far the companies producing ASICs have not been so competitive, it is mainly Bitmain out there!!! so the more competition in different countries such as Japan, Russia, Canada,... will create a more competing market which not only reduces the price of it but also improves them a lot.

it can also contribute to decentralization of mining.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Wind_FURY
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1825

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 06:30:52 AM

Earlier this month the Korean government announced that they might be banning cryptocurrencies or impose strict regulations on them. At the end of January one of the biggest Korean based companies is announcing that they will produce Asics for cryptocurrencies.

I am confused.  Huh

██████████████████████