Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:42:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling Organic Fair Trad Coffee to Canada  (Read 1643 times)
strigona (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 06:38:51 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2011, 12:23:02 AM by strigona

Hi all,

I'm setting up an online store (still a work in progress) to sell organic fair trade coffee.

All Coffee comes in 400g sealed foil bags.
Coffee is roasted to order so it's always fresh.

Regular Coffee:
  • Dark Colombian
  • Medium Colombian
  • Dark Mexican
  • El Salvador
Pricing:
  • 5lbs  -  4.20 BTC each
  • 400g  -  .86 BTC each or .71 BTC for 2+
  • 200g  -  ??
  • 40g  -  ??

Other Coffee
  • Decaf Dark Colombian
Pricing:
  • 5lbs  -  4.34 BTC each
  • .93 BTC each or .79 BTC for 2+
  • 200g  -  ??
  • 40g  -  ??

Shipping:
  • 400g x (1-3)  .62 for British Columbia
  • 400g x (1-3)  .98 for the rest of Canada
  • More information on the way...

Orders of 2-3 bags is recommended as they fit well in our packaging.

Will grind coffee if requested (not recommended as it looses freshness).

Feel free to ask any questions.

Canada ONLY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 07:18:01 PM

Bump
Exo

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 09:29:19 PM

How good is this compared to regular Starbucks coffee?
bjorn

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 12:44:03 AM

When do you think you'll be ready for business?
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 01:06:00 AM

When do you think you'll be ready for business?

We're ready for business now.

The online store is a work in progress. I'm running it by a friend who's a web designer. Then I have to sort a couple things out with the domain name and SSL. Finally I have to do a quick security check and make sure the payment system works as it should. Could be ready in a week or two depending on how things move.
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 03:25:41 AM

How good is this compared to regular Starbucks coffee?

It's a tough comparison in the sense that they're very different. Our coffee is roasted to order so it's much fresher - Starbucks can't compete with that. Taste-wise it comes down to what you like. Personally I generally don't like dark coffee, but I do like our dark Mexican roast.

It's a bit of a leap of faith. You have to shell out a bit of money and you risk not liking the roast, but on the other hand you might find a roast that you love.
indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 04:00:28 AM

Haroooo!!!

Nice to see a few fellow Canadians around.  Sorry I can't help with your venture...I live too dam close to a Timmys....but will keep you in mind!

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:33:25 AM

Haroooo!!!

Nice to see a few fellow Canadians around.  Sorry I can't help with your venture...I live too dam close to a Timmys....but will keep you in mind!

Fair enough, each to their own.

I will say that our coffee makes a great gift - we can ship straight to them with a message/card.
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:47:22 PM

Bump
Azure Maiden

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 03:45:17 PM

I don't drink coffee, but I will wish you luck in selling your product since it's fair trade. Grin
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:04:23 PM

I don't drink coffee, but I will wish you luck in selling your product since it's fair trade. Grin

Thanks!
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 06:14:01 PM

You can see the work in progress here: http://coffee.exiledcode.ca/
Payment has been disabled until it goes live. Prices should be accurate but are subject to change. PM me with your order details and I'll process it manually.

Simon
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 04:56:06 AM

Bump
Niann

Activity: 691
Merit: 511

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:16:50 AM

Congratulations on your initiative to support bitcoins and I hope it works well for you my friend.
I would buy some, but I'm not on Canada. =/
Yatta99

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I need an new box...

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:40:40 AM

Several different comments:

1. Since coffee is really a personal taste type thing, perhaps you should offer a sample pack? You have five different coffees listed so five small foil packs of 40g each, one for each blend, for .6 BTC + shipping? That's enough to make one press (about 4 cups) of each type to sample. Just a thought.

2. Not to pick on you specifically but Bitcoin is something that's suppose to be a worldwide type thing. While adding more merchants that take Bitcoin is nice, it kinda defeats part of the purpose if everyone is going "We accept Bitcoins, but we only ship to Canada/EU/US/Japan/somewhere." If someone is willing to pay the shipping, I don't see the problem in selling them whatever is for sale. Granted that they might end up paying 10 Bitcoins in shipping a 2 Bitcoin item, but that should be left up to the buyer. Give fair warning, then let them do what they want.

I like my Eight O'Clock Original Roast  Cool

Tips for new box to: 16s14wcsNo5TcdsGLttL7B1XWiCv8E4L6A
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 06:42:11 AM

1. Since coffee is really a personal taste type thing, perhaps you should offer a sample pack? You have five different coffees listed so five small foil packs of 40g each, one for each blend, for .6 BTC + shipping? That's enough to make one press (about 4 cups) of each type to sample. Just a thought.

2. Not to pick on you specifically but Bitcoin is something that's suppose to be a worldwide type thing. While adding more merchants that take Bitcoin is nice, it kinda defeats part of the purpose if everyone is going "We accept Bitcoins, but we only ship to Canada/EU/US/Japan/somewhere." If someone is willing to pay the shipping, I don't see the problem in selling them whatever is for sale. Granted that they might end up paying 10 Bitcoins in shipping a 2 Bitcoin item, but that should be left up to the buyer. Give fair warning, then let them do what they want.

There is nothing dictating that Bitcoin products must (or even should) be shipped globally. The nice thing about a totally free market is that it is, well, free.

Congrats on the venture strigona. I have a massive Costco bag of coffee that I rarely dip into but when it runs out I may try a bag out.
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 02:35:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback, it really is appreciated.

Small sample bags is a great idea, I will talk to my roaster today. In terms of international shipping, we're small and want to keep things simple. I don't know much about what regulations or limitations are in place. If things pick up within Canada, it's possible we'll look into expanding our reach.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 12:14:06 AM

I talked to my roaster today and we also have 40g bags and 200g bags. Pricing and shipping hasn't been determined for them yet, but the larger bags will be better value.

I have edited the first post with a bit more information.
Pleaseuserealmoney

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 12:15:51 AM

I prefer hot chocolate...
strigona (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 12:23:44 AM

I prefer hot chocolate...