Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:06:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Found old .dat files, how do I open then into wallets?  (Read 119 times)
blue5dragon (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 10:11:47 PM

Help!

I managed to find some wallet .dat files on my comp that I thought were lost and gone forever! The trouble is I don't know what to do to open them into a wallet. I had been clearing stuff out of my comp years ago and deleted the wallets (I'd bought the coins with my now ex and I was kinda deleting anything to do with him- stupid but true).

I'm guessing to start with I have to download the wallets again, but after that I really don't know. How do I get the wallet to use the old dat file rather than the new one?

I've got a few different coins, so it's gonna take a while to sync everything up.

I have no idea how much I have, could be hardly anything. I'm looking forward to getting into them to have a look.

Thanks for your help

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crypto42

Activity: 119
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:49:37 PM

Well first you must know from which coins are those .dat files. If you know for sure then download their wallets and open it from the official wallet of the coin.
It's most secure to do that from the official wallets only.
Of course you can do that in the top right menu FILE -> OPEN and find the .dat file where you have saved it and open it.

But again, you must know from which coin is that .dat file or you won't be able to open it Smiley
cheers*
blue5dragon (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 11:39:53 AM

Well first you must know from which coins are those .dat files. If you know for sure then download their wallets and open it from the official wallet of the coin.
Of course you can do that in the top right menu FILE -> OPEN and find the .dat file where you have saved it and open it.

But again, you must know from which coin is that .dat file or you won't be able to open it Smiley
cheers*

I downloaded the wallets and opened the old dat files fine. It turns out most of them were empty, except for 2 Aurora coins. So I'm definatly not rich! Worth having a look though.

Thanks for your help Smiley
paulmaritz

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:15:23 PM

cheers*

I downloaded the wallets and opened the old dat files fine. It turns out most of them were empty, except for 2 Aurora coins. So I'm definatly not rich! Worth having a look though.

Thanks for your help Smiley

I am glad you've managed to get into the wallets. I recently discovered a .dat file of way back that gives access to 1 LTC. The only problem is that I cannot find the passphrase that I used to lock it. And when I find it, I will need to decipher the lock to it first - lock upon lock. Chances of me succeeding is zero.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: