Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:29:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a good idea to buy a secondhand 7950 previously used for minning?  (Read 1816 times)
yrtrnc (OP)

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:09:35 PM

Im building a gaming pc because Ive just got Rome 2. Do you think its a good idea to get a 7950 previously used for mining, or are they just gonna die on me?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:16:40 PM

Depends on the card.  Some have better VRM cooling than others.  Some have better fans than others.
gadman2
Legendary

Activity: 977
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:32:32 PM

It's not really a good idea to buy a video card for mining right now anyways...

ChronoX5

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:00:36 PM

Im building a gaming pc because Ive just got Rome 2. Do you think its a good idea to get a 7950 previously used for mining, or are they just gonna die on me?

It depends on how cheap the card is. I probably wouldn't risk it if the card was used for mining for longer than 6 months since there are plenty of other used cards for sale.

Please keep in mind that I am currently trading/holding shares of ASIC Miner, ActiveMining, Rentalstarter, Labcoin and may be posting in my own interest. Always do your own research.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 12:23:50 AM

He said he needs the GPU for gaming
yamancool63

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 12:36:37 AM

On a related note, I have a Sapphire 7950 that I've been using from April-end of July if you're interested  Smiley
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 03:04:14 AM

From what I've seen the 7900 series are amazingly resilient. Out of more than 100 GPUs that I mined with, I only had 1 7970 die on me, while I had around 5 5870's and nearly 10 5970's. I ran the 7970's at 1100MHz as well (non GHz editions)

polarhei

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Firing it up

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:59:51 AM

Hmmm,think so. If you have plenty space for cooling, then you shall consider as lowering the temperature the safer it is. I used to purchase a new 7970 for the run, but out of order due to temperature, I think, at this moment, Better not to trust anything vapor-X related as vapor-X may be the B.S after I have found a passage, Intel proven seriously. I think if you dip 7950 into oil rig (using vegetable oil), should last longer.

DyslexicZombei

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:51:03 AM

It depends on how cheap the card is. I probably wouldn't risk it if the card was used for mining for longer than 6 months since there are plenty of other used cards for sale.

I agree with ChronoX5 on this. I probably would look askance at anything used longer then 4 months.

Another thing to consider: you have no idea how hard they pushed the card; you could be getting their rotten eggs, so to speak. If possible, try and ask these types of questions:

- Did they overclock? If so, how much & how long?
- What's the ambient temps like in their region? I'd say GPUs used in colder temps during the winter have gone thru less abuse to a similar card running in the tropics (fans will be working like a mofo in warm climates). If possible, I'd rec. GPUs from colder climates used in the winter if you had a choice.
yrtrnc (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:44:56 PM

I agree with ChronoX5 on this. I probably would look askance at anything used longer then 4 months.

Another thing to consider: you have no idea how hard they pushed the card; you could be getting their rotten eggs, so to speak. If possible, try and ask these types of questions:

- Did they overclock? If so, how much & how long?
- What's the ambient temps like in their region? I'd say GPUs used in colder temps during the winter have gone thru less abuse to a similar card running in the tropics (fans will be working like a mofo in warm climates). If possible, I'd rec. GPUs from colder climates used in the winter if you had a choice.

Good points, thanks!
yrtrnc (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:46:05 PM

On a related note, I have a Sapphire 7950 that I've been using from April-end of July if you're interested  Smiley

What u looking to get out of it?

Also, what is the cond.?
yrtrnc (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:49:10 PM

Trust me, I wouldnt mine with gpu's unless it was for LTC.

I figured people would be willing to sell their GPU's at lower rates as the GPU minning biz is over u see.
Reckman

Activity: 711

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 11:41:27 PM

no
yamancool63

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:24:23 AM

What u looking to get out of it?

Also, what is the cond.?

Truly, it's still in pretty good shape. It's got some dust on it, but the fans still spin really well, and the card still performs like brand new. It was run in Michigan over May-June-July, never pushed over 80C, the fans rarely hit >75%. It overclocks very well also, past 1150MHz engine with zero problems (I've seen several people going to 1200 bumping up the voltage and going for a different cooler).

As far as price goes, whatever you're willing to pay really; I understand that the card's been used for mining and not for regular everyday usage. PM me and we can discuss further.
d0qtrx

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 02:14:35 PM

It would depend on how badly the previous owner abused it. How hard was it OC? Did it run @ 85ºC 24x7 for 6 months?

It might be fine, or it might give you trouble down the road. I would think that if the card was used in mining and worked well at full stress and didn't crash, then it's a good card. The prev owner just did some aggressive burn-in testing on it Smiley

As long as it wasn't chronically overheating or stressed too hard and the electronics are all intact and the price is right, go for it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: