Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:46:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Risers: Advice needed with my delima  (Read 140 times)
Mark899 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:48:04 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07333WKX7/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've purchased about 12 of these total. My last batch, 3 of them had issues. I'm either getting bad stability, or my cards wont even show. Not only that, but 2 1x adapters wont even fit into a PCI-E slot. The notches don't appear to be cut correctly.

I haven't decided if I'm going to get a refund for the last 6 that I purchased, or contact S-Union to see if they'll just swap out these 3 that I know are faulty. The thing is, even running the one's that are working I feel are in question. This 6x 1070 ti rig is by far more touchy with OC'n than my other. Both are exactly the same.

I noticed on the past few builds from BitsBeTrippin, he's used...

https://www.amazon.com/Onvian-Mining-Dedicated-Graphics-Supply/dp/B01MU51491

The only real difference I see between the 2 are the capacitors. The ones I have are 330, and the other uses 270.

I could very easily have the same issues with the Onvian, but I tend to use things that I see others that are more experienced are using.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?

Is there a better set of Risers that I should be looking at?

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:34:15 AM

You should read the forums a bit - your problem is nothing new or unique, risers are always a bit of a balancing act to get right.  For all the risers I use, the first thing I do is replace the USB cables they come with, with these:

http://amzn.to/2rTWrCJ

They cost more but more than make up for it in reduced problems - you can try other cheaper brands and may get success, but for my builds I always go with these and haven't had an issue.

In the literally thousands of breakouts I've built systems with, I would say only a handful of them were actually defective - all the other ones were related to the USB cable.

And in terms of one version being better than another - they all were about the same for me, the only real difference is how you connect power, and I always use the PCIe 6-pin versions.
Onbusy

Activity: 43

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:38:06 AM

I run these Mintcell risers, so far I'm 6 out of 6 good ones.  I use the 6-pin power connector with no adapters.  Newegg also has the Mintcell Ver 009S on sale.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7256P88179
Mark899 (OP)

Activity: 19

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:32:57 AM

Thanks for the information!!

@Onbusy

Man, that's a good price. I'm currently looking into those now.

@MarkAz

Going off of your information, I ordered a 6 of those USB cables. In my mind, it'll be good to use them to test out what I have now.

whoismoses

Activity: 247
Merit: 59

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:57:24 AM

42 of 42 work just fine...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Z754LT/

MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:55:59 AM

@MarkAz

Going off of your information, I ordered a 6 of those USB cables. In my mind, it'll be good to use them to test out what I have now.

Glad to be of assistance - it's cheap and simple to test, and as I said, most of the time it solved any issues I've had.
Onbusy

Activity: 43

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 01:56:48 AM

These things look identical to the Mintcell ones I have.  May be manufactured at the same place.
pickleburglar

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 02:20:49 AM

Don't shop on amazon for risers. The brands are worthless, the "versions" are worthless, they are just reselling you a random batch of risers for a silly price they got from china.

There are dozens of factories there splurting out risers in every color, version and design they currently feel is hot. Out of the 100+ risers i've bought, around 20% are crap in one way or another, I've noticed no pattern in how to spot them. Some are black, some are blue, some are v3, some v9, some have an extra capacitor, some an extra transistor.. whatever.

Unless you are a major purchaser looking for thousands of units you have no real hope of finding out what you're buying with unmarked chinese electronics anyways. Best you can do is just go on some chinese amazon equivalent (like aliexpress), get a few samples from resellers with big batches (for much cheaper than you find on amazon btw) and hope that the batch doesn't run out before you take delivery so you can order more of the good ones.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: