Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:13:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Impossible to Buy GPUS  (Read 2000 times)
TRexMcStubyArms (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:08:18 AM

I have auto notify on multiple legit venders
I get google group notifications
I get emails from nowinstock
I've searched far, wide, low, high
I've even sacrificed my first born.

Well maybe not the last one but sometimes...I'm so frustrated with just trying to buy one damn GPU to start my next rig.  Within literally seconds, 5-6 at most, from getting my auto notifications the stock is gone.  I can't even login fast enough to hit pay.  People must just have Captcha work around and auto buy scripts going for everything.  Is there a pre-order site?  Anything where I can put money down in a card that isn't asininely priced by vultures?  Angry
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:15:20 AM

Well maybe not the last one but sometimes...I'm so frustrated with just trying to buy one damn GPU to start my next rig.  Within literally seconds, 5-6 at most, from getting my auto notifications the stock is gone.  I can't even login fast enough to hit pay.  People must just have Captcha work around and auto buy scripts going for everything.  Is there a pre-order site?  Anything where I can put money down in a card that isn't asininely priced by vultures?  Angry

Patience is virtue, this has been a main requirement in crypto world, not only to traders but to miners as well. another thing do is to talk with known local suppliers and take a reservations if possible.

Are you serious with this? Man.. this is sad Sad
TRexMcStubyArms (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:20:01 AM

Patience is virtue, this has been a main requirement in crypto world, not only to traders but to miners as well. another thing do is to talk with known local suppliers and take a reservations if possible.
I've been trying for 4 weeks now just to get one.  I have patience, but it's running thin and I thought I'd vent to others who'd understand.  I've actually checked with my local shops and they've all said good luck, even ones that are mining savvy.

Are you serious with this? Man.. this is sad Sad

He understood  Grin

Tongue in cheek matey.  Though I think he's getting pretty disappointed he can't put another rig together with me.  Good father/son tech bonding.
Riptide_NVN

Activity: 294
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:21:14 AM

Everybody buying GPU right now is a vulture except the casual computer gamer who wants just ONE card to play games with.

Your best bet is to find a local retailer and be there the morning they open when a truck comes in.

Otherwise you better get a script working or you'll never get anything.
eleceng1979

Activity: 44
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:22:06 AM

How about our own forum's marketplace?  Plenty for sale if your willing to pay.
TRexMcStubyArms (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:22:41 AM

Seriously  Angry Angry Angry

Another stock came into Amazon of MSI 1080ti's just in the last 30 seconds.

I couldn't even add them to my cart in time before they were gone.
friendlychap

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:23:35 AM

I work for Amazon and indeed, a huge complain we receive from our customers are the insane demand GPu's have and the inflated prices. I suggest you to go to a physical dealer or even purchase a GPU with some use, nowadays and depending the location is truly impossible...
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:24:07 AM

You just have to wait it out at this point or get really lucky.  The market isnt going to get better anytime soon.  If anything the last week has been the worst.  People have figured out all the bots and quick checkout scripts for all the major retailers.  Used to be able to get a few cards a week before they sold out.  Now you have to be on the second they are listed or the bots grab them all.  Emails and notify really only work for EVGA elite members if you are lucky to get one quick.  Its possible I picked up a 1080ti this evening from EVGA.  Just gotta be patient and act fast.
plavirudar

Activity: 78
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:25:27 AM

I've had some success with the official EVGA website, they seem to restock at the same time (1-2am GMT) every day and if you refresh for a bit you have a good chance of catching some.
Neo-Geo

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 02:42:54 AM

Ironically, there's more supply of current gen GPUs available for purchase eBay than ever before, thanks to arbitrage gone wild.
Digital Drug Lord

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:45:58 AM

Well maybe not the last one but sometimes...I'm so frustrated with just trying to buy one damn GPU to start my next rig.  Within literally seconds, 5-6 at most, from getting my auto notifications the stock is gone.  I can't even login fast enough to hit pay.  People must just have Captcha work around and auto buy scripts going for everything.  Is there a pre-order site?  Anything where I can put money down in a card that isn't asininely priced by vultures?  Angry

I was able to put place a couple of items on new egg....had them snatched out
placed an order on nvidia even got my 2 1080tis in to the cart, typed in my credit card....went to hit pay.....had them snatched out

im on auto notify also, and nothing not 1 email. the first month of the year has been a total disaster.

think of the gamer whos card broke, and cant game because he cant find one, or, cant afford one.

all the while my 1070, which is selling for $999 (and dont listen to anyone who says they are in stock at at retail price because you cant buy them) struggles to make $2 dollars a day!!!'

when does the price go down? January is over and done with, February looks to be disastrous for anyone looking for GPU.

I call bullshit on it all! I say the video card cartel, all sat together and thought about creating a shortage, and have bots buying everything with automated software and now the prices you see are the prices that will always be.

Of course the low IQ people will say other wise, but common sense tells you no human is that fast
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:54:01 AM

30 days ago you could buy any GPU for close to MSRP. Amazing what difference a few weeks make. According to Angry Chicken's last video on Youtube the shortage is due to Nvidia's manufacturing shifting to the new Volta GPU's. It may be a rough couple months until the new line is released. I also got a feeling the current price run up is going to lead to sticker shock once the new GPU's are out due to increased manufacturing costs from the smaller 12 nM process for Volta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op3h_bV3ohA
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:55:32 AM

They fluctuate. Just keep an eye on prices; when I bought my 1060s, 580s were way too expensive. Two months later I snagged 6 of them at around $290 each (while 1060s were double what I'd paid), now the 580s are double as well. Patience and luck.

In the meantime, look into used, or even into CPU mining (there are a couple interesting threads that explain how to do it with cheap old servers off ebay)...
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:18:07 AM

I've had some success with the official EVGA website, they seem to restock at the same time (1-2am GMT) every day and if you refresh for a bit you have a good chance of catching some.

EVGA_Jason has been bouncing restock time around quite a bit for the last 2 weeks or so.

Restock numbers also seem to be TINY there.

I suspect Nvidia might be regretting a bit their decision to have TSMC switch production over to Volta consumer cards "around the end of the year", as it seems to be a MAJOR or even THE PRIMARY reason Nvidia cards above the 1050ti are in crazy-short supply since right after Christmas.

eBay isn't the only source for "cheap old servers" usable for CPU mining, though some of the sources FOR those servers do have eBay shops as well as their own sales page.

"open compute" servers in particular tend to be quite low cost compared to their CPU mining performance, if you look at the older "Windmill" and "Winterborn" generation surplus refurb gear.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:21:31 AM

30 days ago you could buy any GPU for close to MSRP. Amazing what difference a few weeks make. According to Angry Chicken's last video on Youtube the shortage is due to Nvidia's manufacturing shifting to the new Volta GPU's. It may be a rough couple months until the new line is released. I also got a feeling the current price run up is going to lead to sticker shock once the new GPU's are out due to increased manufacturing costs from the smaller 12 nM process for Volta.

40 days ago more like, and ONLY on the Nvidia side - AMD cards haven't been close to MSRP (except Vega) since spring, and the Vega low prices evaporated before Thanksgiving when the "killer on Monero" guides got widespread.

I don't anticipate a huge price jump on MSRP for the Volta cards - we didn't get one from Maxwell to Pascal after all, despite 28nm being a MUCH bigger jump on cost to 16nm vs 16nm to 12nm (which is the same NODE, just upgraded on the process and misnamed).
 I DO anticipate a 10-15% jump due to the move to GDDR6 and memory pricing jumps in general, and won't be shocked at 20%.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:47:00 AM

40 days ago more like, and ONLY on the Nvidia side - AMD cards haven't been close to MSRP (except Vega) since spring, and the Vega low prices evaporated before Thanksgiving when the "killer on Monero" guides got widespread.

I don't anticipate a huge price jump on MSRP for the Volta cards - we didn't get one from Maxwell to Pascal after all, despite 28nm being a MUCH bigger jump on cost to 16nm vs 16nm to 12nm (which is the same NODE, just upgraded on the process and misnamed).
 I DO anticipate a 10-15% jump due to the move to GDDR6 and memory pricing jumps in general, and won't be shocked at 20%.

Here is archive.com's snapshot of Newegg's GPU page from 12/31. You could buy just about any Nvidia card for close to MSRP and they were in stock, albeit 1 per customer in most cases.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171127075041/https://www.newegg.com/Desktop-Graphics-Cards/SubCategory/ID-48

The last AMD RX 580 8GB I bought was in the middle of last month for $279 which is ALOT closer to MSRP of $229 than the $500+ they are now.
manji

Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:49:18 AM

I work for Amazon and indeed, a huge complain we receive from our customers are the insane demand GPu's have and the inflated prices. I suggest you to go to a physical dealer or even purchase a GPU with some use, nowadays and depending the location is truly impossible...

this's nice sounds reason why very difficult get GPU although rise price. atm almost all dealer or offline store GPU said: empty stock, the stock will arrive 2 weeks, or said I send a message if the stock is ready, whatever that's.

the manufacturer, dealer, the seller has monopolized GPU prices.

lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:56:34 AM

Just buy Asics from bitmain,  They got a T9 and A3 in stock for a few days so far.

You'll make more than GPU at least 15+ dollars a day, Why pay top dollar 1080 ti at around $1300 that will only bring  3.5-4 dollars a day. Makes no sense

Stop crying over gpus  and get some ascis that are in stock.

ikicha

Activity: 788
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 05:39:45 AM

Yes. in indonesia, price of Amd RX570 card is very expensive, about $575 each
it is insane!
recomended buy ASIC mining, because GPU card shortage at the moment
ibuycrypto2

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 05:42:12 AM

I ordered 3 1080 TIs at MSRP the past couple days. Just need to be quick.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: