Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:04:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Imported wallet: transferring funds from an address partially  (Read 162 times)
ankuzn (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 08:43:26 AM

Hi guys.

I've imported several BTC keys into Electrum. As far as I know, technically it's possible to transfer only full amount of funds from the address, not a partial one. So when only a part is withdrawn, the change is sent to another BTC address. The question is: if I try to send a part of the amount from my imported BTC address, will Electrum pull the additional change address into the wallet automatically? Or will my change just be lost forever in this case?

Thank you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3428

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 10:18:40 AM

As far as I know, technically it's possible to transfer only full amount of funds from the address, not a partial one.
You're wrong.

So when only a part is withdrawn, the change is sent to another BTC address.
Depends on your preferences. You can switch this off by doing the following steps: Tools > Preferences > Go to "Transactions" tab > Remove the check on "Use change addresses". By doing this, the excess will be sent back to the originated address.

The question is: if I try to send a part of the amount from my imported BTC address, will Electrum pull the additional change address into the wallet automatically? Or will my change just be lost forever in this case?
No, it won't be lost.

Take note: Don't forget to back up the wallet itself (just in case).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
codewench

Activity: 93
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:35:37 AM

No, it won't be lost.

I think ankuzn was talking about importing keys to a specific address, not importing HD seeds.

In this case, the imported key only applies to one specific address. If change was sent to a different address, then that address's key will also need to be imported.
ankuzn (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:47:58 AM

Thanks guys.

I think ankuzn was talking about importing keys to a specific address, not importing HD seeds.
Exactly

In this case, the imported key only applies to one specific address. If change was sent to a different address, then that address's key will also need to be imported.
But if talking not about the past but the present Smiley If I send now a part of my funds from an imported specific address via Electrum, will the address to be used for change appear automatically on Electrum list?
codewench

Activity: 93
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:00:57 PM

But if talking not about the past but the present Smiley If I send now a part of my funds from an imported specific address via Electrum, will the address to be used for change appear automatically on Electrum list?

You've created a "special wallet" (as the manual calls it) that, instead of a seed, has a list of private keys. Correct?

I don't know where the change will go - the manual doesn't say. Presumably it will go back into the same address. Without a seed, the wallet can't generate change addresses.

Note - Bitcoin addresses don't automatically have a change address associated with them. This is just a fiction that wallets create. The wallets create two lists of addresses. One to give out to others when requesting payment. A second for internal use for change. This keeps the wallet from sending change to an address at which you are expecting a payment.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 09:02:08 AM

Change will go to one of the addresses whose private keys control the inputs to the transaction that is the same addresses controlled by the imported private keys. You won't lose bitcoins.

Also you were partially right about how bitcoins can be spent. Unspent outputs can only be spent whole. However there may be many unspent outputs controlled by one address' private key.

There is no need to change anything in preferences.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: