Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:08:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: India Want to Kill all Cryptocurrencies - No need to panic though  (Read 524 times)
Alterer (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:22:27 AM
Last edit: February 01, 2018, 01:51:47 PM by Alterer

News came today as Indian finance minister finally clarified that they will take actions to ban all cryptocurrencies.
https://qz.com/1148361/budget-2018-indias-government-wants-to-kill-bitcoin-but-it-loves-blockchain/
https://www.bloombergquint.com/global-economics/2018/02/01/india-to-curb-cryptocurrency-use-while-embracing-blockchain
http://www.keralanews247.com/budget-2018-arun-jaitley-speaks-about-bitcoin/

Personally I believe it's a mistake; but hey we are talking about government, which is naturally should be against mostly free and decentralized power of cryptocurrencies.

So, don't panic people. Hold your coins.

Edit 1: After all the news, maybe it's early to say India will ban it soon. Misinterpretation to say India will ban everything. But today's news showed their stance about bitcoin and cryptocurrencies. We will follow further news...

Edit 2: For people who doesn't know how big India in cryptoworld: India is making 1 of every 10 bitcoin transactions anytime.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChickenDuck

Activity: 113

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:29:39 AM

Is this true? Indian gov wants to ban BTC?

I would suppose some days later the India gov will say it's a mistake again like Korean gov.

News came today as Indian finance minister finally clarified that they will take actions to ban all cryptocurrencies.
https://qz.com/1148361/budget-2018-indias-government-wants-to-kill-bitcoin-but-it-loves-blockchain/
https://www.bloombergquint.com/global-economics/2018/02/01/india-to-curb-cryptocurrency-use-while-embracing-blockchain

Personally I believe it's a mistake; but hey we are talking about government, which is naturally should be against mostly free and decentralized power of cryptocurrencies.

Alterer (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:42:16 AM

Yes, it's true. That's why bitcoin dropped suddenly last 1hr.
India is accounting 1 of ever 10 bitcoin transaction in the world. So you can imagine the impact.
dvabit

Activity: 294
Merit: 22

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:45:56 AM

Headline said - India’s government WANTS to kill bitcoin, but it loves blockchain
Jannalsieh

Activity: 81

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:49:44 AM

That's quite bad for crypto. This has got to be the reason to the sudden drop of btc price.
Hope the Indian government will enlighten themselves and open up to cryptocurency like many other countries do.
But look at it in the optimistic point of view, you can btc at low price..hold to it cause eventually exchange will bounce back.
nitrousteam

Activity: 154
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:50:13 AM

India is known for their strict religious laws. Cryptos as such are representing a threat to their religious and financial aspects. They don't want to embrace the progress that the crypto market is providing. Instead of joining like some of the other countries they are trying to vanquish the crypto for their people. Bad choice ba my opinion and in a long aspect that will make cryptos only stronger.

CONTRACTNET     |     At the intersection of Blockchain, IOT & SMART CONTRACTS             
|     WHITEPAPER     |     TWITTER     |      TELEGRAM     
████████████████████████  [  JOIN ICO   ●   10th MARCH  ] ████████████████████████
lncm

Activity: 388
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:50:53 AM

How? Will they ban internet?
ChConcept

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:52:40 AM

This news has already impacted the value of Bitcoin for the past hour or so. But do not panic, I am sure that this will just be like what happened to South Korea last time, the will eventually realize it and will change the "BAN" to just regulations with taxes or so, well what do you expect, government will always allow something as long as they are getting something out of it. Sad

╔═◼ CARDSTACK ◼═╗
The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet (https://cardstack.com/)
Haunebu

Activity: 3052
Merit: 969

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:02:21 AM
Merited by Lauren Smith (3)

Exactly my thoughts. The collective power of all the governments in the world cannot stop bitcoin since it is a dominant force which will only continue to power forward no matter what which is why I feel that the news posted by op seems like FUD and nothing else. Best to ignore such FUD in my opinion since the Indian government know that they can never ban bitcoin, but they are simply trying to regulate it which will obviously not work out at the end of the day. More and more FUD is driving the value of bitcoin down currently and am expecting a rally in the middle of this month.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Alterer (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:02:51 AM

What is most stupid about the indian finance minister is that he says "we will ban cryptocurrencies but we will encourage blockchain in payment systems".
Is it a joke?
hadveach

Activity: 448
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:03:31 AM

Thanks for the information, I think India is a developing country, a lot of citizens,and crime rates are high, and I see countries that ban bitcoin are more developing countries. they want to reduce the criminal rate by banning bitcoin, because the Indian government judges that bitcoin has always been a criminal facility.
pat4cryptoreal

Activity: 630
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:03:43 AM

This is another means India government want to implement taxation on cryptocurrency. Let us just wait and see in the next few weeks what will be the outcome of the banning.
Nerman

Activity: 364
Merit: 107

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:06:04 AM

I do not know if this is certainly true but if it is then this explain the dip in the prices. This rumor was already circulating back in 2017.

They should reconsider because i know some people back there are using bitcoin for their livelihood. Back in the day i chatted with an indian where they use decode  captcha and they will earn a few sats.

I hope they reconsider.
Lauren Smith

Activity: 1050
Merit: 277

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 11:13:56 AM

Exactly my thoughts. The collective power of all the governments in the world cannot stop bitcoin since it is a dominant force which will only continue to power forward no matter what which is why I feel that the news posted by op seems like FUD and nothing else. Best to ignore such FUD in my opinion since the Indian government know that they can never ban bitcoin, but they are simply trying to regulate it which will obviously not work out at the end of the day. More and more FUD is driving the value of bitcoin down currently and am expecting a rally in the middle of this month.

They will glue your hands together if caught using bitcoin. I mean how dare you try to further enrich your life by using a powerful currency run on powerful technology when you could be using our government issued currency that's doing so well that why most of India is not poor at all. It is like china banning facebook and all that crap. It will never work.

What is most stupid about the indian finance minister is that he says "we will ban cryptocurrencies but we will encourage blockchain in payment systems".
Is it a joke?

They know they can't really control crypto so they want to use it's technology to create their own currency that they can control.

IamAltcoinfan

Activity: 462
Merit: 103

homt.net

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:22:48 AM

Op have to change the concept as
The original Points   Finance minister said Its not legal tender . And its been said form 2013 December . The same quote repeated . Stop creating fud am creating new thread about healthy discussion happened in union budget.

► HOMT ◄ ♦ World’s First Crypto Based Students Rental Platform ♦ ► HOMT ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Website|Twitter|Medium|Telegram|Facebook|LinkedIn
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:28:27 AM

I guess they will send a policeman to every household, schools and companies across India and the coops will search for cryptos on every HDDs, USB sticks, scraps of paper and cloud accounts. Probably they will finish in 200-300 years Smiley.
aoihs00

Activity: 700
Merit: 300

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:30:30 AM

If you guys go through that document in detailed manner then we will come to know that they are going to explore the advantages of the block chain which means they are going to use it. So the guy Jatley whose finance minister will be going to open the roadmap for the exploration. I also see that southern India has already adopted the block chain in proactive ways and they are having the tie ups with Swedish startup ChromaWay! That is actually more good news than bad I believe. This is major change but the whole idea seems to be going towards the positive direction only. I think its no need to panic.  But the effect of this news can be seen clearly on the todays market.
mOgliE
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:10:58 PM

Hi,

So you are saying it changes nothing, right?

I agree with you, this is not a reason to start panic selling. Still, the news is quite interesting.

I read the articles and... Well, I am not sure that what they are planning to do is actually technically feasible. I truly don't know. I understand the concept behind it and the idea, but I don't see how they can think it will work. Internet is an open world, without any frontiers and... Well, even though you have a physical address, you can always manage to change it and go through another one, anywhere in the world!

So, of course the Indian government is planning to prevent such "cryptos" from spreading and to become too powerful. The idea is understandable. The means of action though...

glowing10

Activity: 812
Merit: 142

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:17:10 PM

This is another means India government want to implement taxation on cryptocurrency. Let us just wait and see in the next few weeks what will be the outcome of the banning.

Well as far as taxation is concerned it is already being told that you have to pay short term tax i.e if you sell within 3 years and if profit is earned then its 30% of the profit. If you are from India than do consult your CA and file proper taxation. Also in coming days thing will become more clearer as what is the exact outcome of that statement.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 01:23:20 PM

Exact words from Mr. Jaitley: "The Government does not consider Cryptocurrencies "as Legal Tender or Coin" and will take all measures to eliminate the use of these Crypto Assets in Financing "Illegitimate Activities or a Part of the Payment System".

Wrong interpretation: Bitcoin is illegal.
Correct interpretation: Bitcoin cannot be used as legal tender. Bitcoin cannot be used for illegitimate activities.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: