Bitcoin Forum
July 18, 2024, 07:29:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Participation in airdrops and Ledger Nano - safe?  (Read 97 times)
Mc_Moneysack (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:28:14 AM

I have participated in a number of airdrops in the past and provided my MEW public address to receive the tokens. I have now started to wonder if there is anything that could happen to me in case I end up falling victim to a scam.

Is there anything that can be done with my public address to steal my coins? I use a Ledger Nano with my wallet, so technically no one should be able to access it without holding my Ledger Nano in their hands, right? I therefore also don’t have a private key, which could somehow get stolen.

Am I safe, or did I miss something here?

SHIVOM  ──  The Future is your Genome! Own it.
Join our Token Campaign!  ──  https://shivom.io/
MoonIsBlue

Activity: 406
Merit: 111

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:44:57 AM

I have participated in a number of airdrops in the past and provided my MEW public address to receive the tokens. I have now started to wonder if there is anything that could happen to me in case I end up falling victim to a scam.

Is there anything that can be done with my public address to steal my coins? I use a Ledger Nano with my wallet, so technically no one should be able to access it without holding my Ledger Nano in their hands, right? I therefore also don’t have a private key, which could somehow get stolen.

No no one can do anything malicious with just a public address, you should however have a private key for MEW aswell as your Ledger Nano. Just don't share the private keys with anyone and keep them safe and you will be fine. No worries.

thepo1m

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:33:17 PM

You don't need to worry about your public address, what you need to protect greatly is your private keys, there are alot ethereum address in the space with millions in the account and nothing has happended to their accounts, worry not about your public address
Mc_Moneysack (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:53:19 PM

Thank you guys for reassuring me. You can never be too careful with all those scamers out there.

SHIVOM  ──  The Future is your Genome! Own it.
Join our Token Campaign!  ──  https://shivom.io/
Kaplogs

Activity: 16
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:57:20 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2018, 03:48:23 AM by Kaplogs
Merited by ace4549 (2)

You need to know the difference between public and private keys,but why you are joining these free airdrops? most of them wont have any value in the future,if i were you i will focus in bounty hunting like social media campaigns and if you ranked up here you might participate some signature campaigns,back to your keys private keys are the most important thing to your transactions,and remember no airdrops would require your private keys if they does require it stay away because surely it is a scam.
cannycassiopeia

Activity: 266
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:03:20 PM

This is also the same question in my mind. Is participating in bounties and airdrops safe or not? I read many stories in the forum about stolen coins/tokens, how can we avoid it?

I'll be active when the bull market comes back
APICEMTECH

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

Blockchain Just Entered The Real World

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:03:43 PM

As long as you are using a hardware wallet you are good. Even if you system gets infected with a malware still the funds can't be sent without physically pushing the buttons on your nano-s.

Lerikaweb

Activity: 392
Merit: 12

The Fourth Generation of Blockchain in DeFi

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:33:42 PM

Your MEW address is public, and nobody can make anything with your tokens, calm down:) If i knew your e-mail address, i still wouldn't be able to read your mail. A person needs your password to enter your wallet.

DRK Defi| The Fourth Generation Of Blockchain In Decentralized Finance
────── The Epicenter of the DeFi Ecosystem ──────
WebsiteDraken ExchangeDrakenXTelegramTwitterFacebook
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: