Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:41:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does system memory speed matter for Cryptonight?  (Read 171 times)
Snow_Dog (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 12:30:09 PM

I just purchased a Ryzen 1600 and have a BIOSTAR TB350-BTC motherboard on the way from Newegg and want to try cpu mining (I currently have two GPU rigs and if this does not work out I can use the MB to make a 3rd rig).  I can't seem to find a definite answer to whether the type of system ram makes a difference in hashing rates.  Will a cheap 4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston stick produce the same results as say a faster dual channel low latency pair?
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:38:39 PM

My understanding - which has been borne out by testing on 2 different machines - is that the only memory that matters with CPU mining Cryptonight is the L3 cache; the faster it is, and the more of it, the faster Cryptonight can be mined.

FYI, the ideal number of threads for mining Cryptonight is L3 size in MB / 2. For example, the Ryzen 5 1600 has a 16MB L3 cache so the ideal number of threads is 8.

Also, avoid the use of Core 0 / Thread 0 if you run Windows 10 and need to use the computer for other things.

I highly recommend XMR-Stak in CPU-only mode and posted below is the relevant part of my cpu.txt file that sets up the thread configuration for my Ryzen 5 1600 and which gets around 440 H/s on average with minimal impact to usability:

Code:
"cpu_threads_conf" :
[
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 1 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 3 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 4 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 5 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 7 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 9 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 10 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 11 },

],

This configuration was figured out with the help of PM conversations between me and fellow user @Set Ready Go.

Snow_Dog (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 02:06:17 PM

My understanding - which has been borne out by testing on 2 different machines - is that the only memory that matters with CPU mining Cryptonight is the L3 cache; the faster it is, and the more of it, the faster Cryptonight can be mined.

FYI, the ideal number of threads for mining Cryptonight is L3 size in MB / 2. For example, the Ryzen 5 1600 has a 16MB L3 cache so the ideal number of threads is 8.

Also, avoid the use of Core 0 / Thread 0 if you run Windows 10 and need to use the computer for other things.

I highly recommend XMR-Stak in CPU-only mode and posted below is the relevant part of my cpu.txt file that sets up the thread configuration for my Ryzen 5 1600 and which gets around 440 H/s on average with minimal impact to usability:

Code:
"cpu_threads_conf" :
[
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 1 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 3 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 4 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 5 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 7 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 9 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 10 },
    { "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 11 },

],

This configuration was figured out with the help of PM conversations between me and fellow user @Set Ready Go.

Thank you for the great information.  I was hoping someone would respond who has experience with the Ryzen 5.  I was planning on trying it as a dedicated CPU miner to get a benchmark hash rate and then try it with windows and a few GPU's mining something other than Cryptoknight (Not sure how much impact GPU mining will have on CPU mining).  I will read up on XMR-Stak as i noticed on monerobenchmarks.info that most of the "good" benchmark entries were using it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: