Bitcoin Forum
September 05, 2024, 05:19:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptoblog monetisation  (Read 98 times)
Auralea (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:50:23 PM
Merited by d5000 (1)

Dear fellow cryptopians,

How would you feel if there was a Medium like blogging site where instead of advertisements the creator of the content would get payed in monero through browsermining? Everyone could post a blog on this site after which they would receive the majority of monero mined while reading their blog. It could be a non privacy sensitive and quite censorship resistant website. If any of you have any questions or feedback, I would like to hear it. I am currently working on this project as a website.

Kindly,

Auralea
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 7190

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:10:40 PM

Content monetization via cryptocurrencies is surely an interesting topic. In my opinion, Steem has found an interesting way to reward content creators because there it doesn't feel like you're really "paying" the creators (but you do). However, Steem has some flaws that make it inviable for a massive platform (mainly that most content is stored on the blockchain).

I am however a bit skeptical about browser mining. Think about the effects of a massive adoption: Will it still be profitable if lots of bloggers rely on this kind of income? Difficulty surely would go up, and the "mining spiral" will come into effect. I read that there was already some Monero browser mining - do you know stats about it?

A Slimcoin community member is working currently on a similar mechanism but for independent (and possibly decentralized) websites.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Auralea (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:52:52 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I am aware of the Steem blockchain, however I see a problem with it that is quite more fundamental than all of the data being stored forever (although now that I think of it, that is a pretty damning flaw as well). My main concern is that creators are paid through the inflation of the Steem token. This clearly only works in the short term, since there is no value behind newly minted Steem. No one is paying anything or anyone, which only works in a ''greater fools'' market in which the value of Steem tokens rises on pure speculation.

The idea of browsermining would be that it is easily accesible, no registration would be required and it would be bot protected by design. The mining spiral is an interesting question, but I believe that this would only come into play when the application would be of a substantial size. This size would allow it to pivot to other currencies, as well as provide a legitimate use case for Monero, thus driving the price up, thus driving profitability back up.

Greets,

Auralea
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: