Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:24:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DeepOnion: An "unbiased" Review, Part 2  (Read 262 times)
Ebenezar64 (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:52:01 PM
Merited by 777asianinvasian (1)

It has been a little over a month since I did "An 'unbiased' coin review of DeepOnion". I have had some request to follow this up and also some questions raised that I would like to answer:

• Do my arguments still stand up?
  • Do I still see DeepOnion as a good investment?

So welcome to "DeepOnoin: An "unbiased" Review, Part 2". If you haven't read the original article you can find it as a Steemit Article, BitCoinTalk Thread or as a DeepOnion Thread. To prevent this article from becoming unbearably long I will assume that you are already familiar with the topics brought up in Part 1. If not, I would suggest having a look in one of the links and get back here when you are all caught up.

For those that just need a short reminder:
“DeepOnion  is a crypto currency that is natively integrated into the TOR network and ensures anonymity of the users by hiding their IP address to the other nodes. It is a combined PoW and PoS coin with most of the coins being "pre-mined" and distributed through AirDrops and Bounty campaigns”

New and Previous Questions on the DeepOnion Project

In the last article I brought up some points that people had lifted in regards to why they (at the time) avoided to invest in DeepOnion:

• The development team is anonymous
  • The technology isn’t unique
  • There is no whitepaper

Except to follow up on my conclusions on these points I would like to raise another two points, that people have raised to me, which made them hesitant to invest in DeepOnion

• DeepOnion isn’t fully secure since it is integrated to an old version of TOR
  • TOR integrated cryptocurrencies are not always a possibility since some countries are blocking access to TOR

Anonymous Development Team

I will mention that the DeepOnion team is still anonymous and I don’t see that changing. This is something that should be taken into account as a potential risk before deciding to invest.
DeepOnion has announced that at least two new developers have joined the team in the last month and work is ongoing.

To remind the readers, there are ways to validate the work/progress of a team, even if they are anonymous, and it is something that I already covered in the last article and won’t rehash what has already been said. If you want to find out more I suggest you check out the previous article.

The technology isn’t unique and there is no Whitepaper

I am combining these bullet points to one since the major change for DeepOnion since the last article is that they have released their Whitepaper. I mentioned that the release was imminent and “lo-and-behold” a week later it was available for the public.

If you haven’t read it I certainly recommend you do. It is a fairly easy read and clearly shows that DeepOnion is very open and honest with the parts of the technology that isn’t unique and that by "using existing industry-leading standards, within cryptography and network security, provide security on multiple levels".

The “industry-standards” (TOR, Zero Knowledge, CoinJoin + Multi sig -> DeepSend) isn’t anything unique but the multi-layered approach chosen by Deeponion, by combining these, is very much unique and interesting.

I think the whitepaper proves exactly the point I wanted to make in Part 1. “Is not the whole greater than the sum of its parts?”

The “whole” that DeepOnion is trying to create is something unique, a privacy platform where DeepOnion Native Apps can be developed and used safely, securely and completely anonymous: DeepVault, WooCommerce plug-in, Mobile Wallets and more…

Is DeepOnion really secured via TOR and what about blocked regions?

In ANN threads and in comments I have read some input detailing that the DeepOnion wallet use an old version of TOR and is therefore not fully secure. Some also noted that even if a TOR update occurs not everyone will be able to benefit since TOR traffic is blocked in certain regions/countries. These were actually legitimate concerns that I hadn’t considered in my first review and that I started to look into. As it turns out it seems that the DeepOnion development team beat me to the punch, so-to-say.

• This week (2018-29-01) DeepOnion launched a new Desktop Wallet which is natively integrated into the latest TOR upgrade (0.3.3.0) and also supports OBFS4

The integration of OBFS4 into the latest DeepOnion wallet makes it possible for people, even in blocked regions, to use the TOR network. This is because OBFS4 obfuscates the message protocol details so that all traffic looks random and it can’t be identified as TOR traffic. This will allow apps to connect to TOR from anywhere.

In answer to this I will begin by starting off to quote the DeepOnion whitepaper:

“We incorporate the latest privacy standards into our technology stack, such as the inclusion of the latest TOR protocol to ensure that our community members remain secure and anonymous in all aspects of their finances”

I think everything in this section goes back to something I brought up in the previous article: How to evaluate an anonymous team?. Two of the points I covered were:

• How well does the coin adhere to the roadmap?
  • What is the status of the features that are already launched?

In my opinion this last month gives a strong indication that the DeepOnion team is very much active and listening to the inputs of the community. And also that they are working to live up to the roadmap and promises in the whitepaper.

Note: If you think the TOR update will involve downloading a new wallet every time TOR makes an updates, this is currently not in the plan. The plan is to keep the integration to the current version, unless any specific need for another update is discovered, so that won’t be a cause for continuous wallet updates.

If you want to find out more about the DeepOnion wallet update feel free to check out this thread in the DeepOnion forum: https://deeponion.org/community/threads/introducing-deeponion-1-5-0-wallet-for-windows-integrated-with-obfs4.27626/.
If you want to find out more about what OBFS4 is and how to set it up I found this thread on the Deeponion forum: https://deeponion.org/community/threads/deeponion-has-integrated-with-obfs4.28106/

Price Movement

As a final topic I would like to look on the price movement of DeepOnion in the last month and what a ride that have been. At the time, when I wrote Part 1, DeepOnion price was at: $3/ONION (BTC = $14 000). Since then it soared up to a staggering $20/ONION, as ATH, and has since experienced a correction down to $7/ONION which is the price as of writing today. It is worth noting that some of these movements have been due to big fluctuations in BitCoin price which had an ATH at $20 000 and is now down at around $10 000.

Still DeepOnion has had a good run with over 100% gain in the last month and this is despite an overall drop in BTC (-30%). The DeepOnion price has now dropped 65% from ATH and it might be a good time to step in if you think BTC has reached the bottom and that this project has merit.

Final Words

Do I have nothing negative to say about this coin?! Nothing that stands out but what bears mention is that the major functions such as the Zero-Knowledge Proof, DeepSend and Private Smart Contracts have not yet been released. These are the functionalities that will act as the base for the multi-layered communications protocol and on which all the native Apps will operate. No one can predict the future whether Deeponion will be able to fulfill on delivering this "privacy platform" and should always be taken into any risk assessment.

Personally I see great potential in the Deeponion project and I am comforted by the fact that they are using tried and tested technology, which in my opinion reduces the risks involved (compared to when developing something entirely new).

Those of you who might think that with the recent releases it might be quiet for a while, and there will be time to step in later, might end up regretting those thoughts. The word is that the DeepOnion Android Wallet release is imminent (I even saw the first transfer done during the last Live Q&A session, held last week) and VoteCentral  has been promised to follow in a close second. Following those releases development is said to continue with iOS wallet, Zero-Knowledge integration, the DeepSend feature and Private Smart Contracts. Who knows, in a month or two I might make a Part 3 with further updates.

Lets now think back to the questions that I stated in the beginning of this article

Do I still consider DeepOnion a good investment?
The answer is maybe obvious: Yes!
Since this ended up being a lot more “pro-ONION” than I had initially planned. I had this whole thing set up, with positives and negatives to remain objective by lifting up the issues that I had researched with outdated TOR version and blocked regions. Since these were the only “questionable” points I had found so far, in regards to DeepOnion, I must admit that I was perfectly foiled by the recent Wallet update.

Do I think my arguments still stand up?
I would say yes and even stronger than before, especially regarding verifying the work of an anonymous team and the promise of the whitepaper release. The argumentation in regards to “not having unique technology” was very well addressed in the whitepaper and concurred with my own views. DeepOnion has chosen tried and tested technologies for a reason and are combining these to something new.

Some might think I should change the title to a “biased” DeepOnion review but I can’t really change my conclusions just because it came out very positive for DeepOnion. This time I won’t apologize this time for the long article but rather say Thank You to all of you that made it all the way here to the bottom and I hope you enjoyed the reading.

For more information on DeepOnion check out the links in my signature for DeepOnion Homepage, Whitepaper, AirDrop and ANN Thread.

Disclaimer: I am no financial advisor so you should always do your own research before choosing to invest in any project

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheOnionKnight

Activity: 68
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:03:25 AM

Great post, I hope they can deliver on those tech promises as well. If they can do that then I think this project can really take off after week 40.
MadZ

Activity: 908
Merit: 657

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:13:54 AM

How much DeepOnion do you own? I have to say, I don't think any coins are shilled harder on BTCtalk.
CryptoCY3366

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:14:34 AM

Good job my friend, DEEP ONION is a solid project that will dominate the competition soon. What a sale on Onions today, i weighted down my bags some more..

https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1760267
DeepOnion - Tor Integrated - 100% Anonymous
===> Join DeepOnion Team NOW! <===
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:15:36 AM

There's no such thing as unbiased reviews. The act of reviewing DeepOnion above all other coins is biased in itself. My real opinion on this, is that you're trying to acquire more coins, or apart of the VIP dominator shit, but that can never be proven and is strictly my opinion/conspiracy.

decent read with all things considered, but DeepOnion's team and early adopters still remains one of the most arrogant and foolish individuals, out of any cryptocurrency, i've ever seen. The admins have relaxed a bit, but the whole show remains a rodeo of whores, hotheaded fools and mooners.

And because of that fact, half of DeepOnion's potential will be lost, no matter what advancements occur or how inciting the coin itself is.
777asianinvasian

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

🌟 MIRA ICO 🌟

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:17:28 AM

I gotta honestly say you don't get many objective views on any coins let alone DeepOnion on here. Kudos to you for providing such a perspective and I actually learned a few things I didn't know before, thx bro Grin.

PapaJ

Activity: 158
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:18:41 AM

Thx, it was very pleasant to read, not often such articles come across the BCT. Once I received this coin in AirDrops, until they canceled the rewards for activity on the forum! I hope you are a member of the VIP DOMINATION TASKS, because such articles deserve a reward!
Sponsoredby15

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:19:37 AM

Well if look at it deeponion is an copypaste coin as lauda said "DeepOnion is a copy/paste project with a massive amount of shills. This user will censor any mention of this, which makes his behavior and project even shadier than it already is. "
I will trust lauda than your beliefs
koehlebd

Activity: 32

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:36:06 AM

Good review. I'm a fan of Deep Onion, and I hope the project keeps up the good work!
GayOfThrones

Activity: 479
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:50:08 AM

I find this a good fact based review. Some people don't like this coin because they don't like some attitude of team, but while judging a coin we should in the first place looks a the coin itself, if it is following the roadmap, if it is delivering what promised in due time, the quality of what is delivered, and this is the analysis that you have done.

⚪ Byteball          I T   J U S T   W O R K S .  
Sending Crypto to Email   -   Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments   -   ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD                  TELEGRAM                     TWITTER                  MEDIUM                  SLACK                  REDDIT
Ebenezar64 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 06:52:17 AM

There's no such thing as unbiased reviews. The act of reviewing DeepOnion above all other coins is biased in itself. My real opinion on this, is that you're trying to acquire more coins, or apart of the VIP dominator shit, but that can never be proven and is strictly my opinion/conspiracy.

decent read with all things considered, but DeepOnion's team and early adopters still remains one of the most arrogant and foolish individuals, out of any cryptocurrency, i've ever seen. The admins have relaxed a bit, but the whole show remains a rodeo of whores, hotheaded fools and mooners.

And because of that fact, half of DeepOnion's potential will be lost, no matter what advancements occur or how inciting the coin itself is.

I agree that it is hard to stay objective and that most people have done reviews on coins that they find interesting. I think that hotheads and mooners can be found in almost any coin, it is true because of their choice for a marketing campaign with AirDrops and Bounties these "hotheads and mooners" might be a bit more vocal than usual.

Not sure what you are refering to in regards to the admins and early adopters since all I have met in the DeepOnion community has been a warm welcome and open to different views and questions.

If you read my Part 1 I try to be open that I am an investor in the coin but I am trying to take into account the remarks I have heard about DeepOnion. I actually focused on the negative remarks and try to meet them head on and explain my thinking and why I am still an investor in the coin.

Since you don't seem overly sold on the project I am actually feeling that "decent read" is a good compliment and I will take it to heart. If there are any faults in my reasoning, please bring that to bear. I try to consider all opinions (unless it is unbased Hype or FUD) when making my investment decisions and reviews.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Ebenezar64 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 06:55:38 AM

Well if look at it deeponion is an copypaste coin as lauda said "DeepOnion is a copy/paste project with a massive amount of shills. This user will censor any mention of this, which makes his behavior and project even shadier than it already is. "
I will trust lauda than your beliefs

If that is someone you trust that is absolutely fine, but still I would suggest that you have a look for yourself to see if your views concurs with him or not. I mentioned in the article that the Whitepaper brings up the technology that Deeponion is absing their platform on and it is true that they have based the different parts from other projects. Those are opened sourced and i see nothing wrong with trying to make something more uot of the different parts.

But feel free to give your own views on the matter, why you think it is bad to do it this way.

Ebenezar64 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:00:03 AM

I gotta honestly say you don't get many objective views on any coins let alone DeepOnion on here. Kudos to you for providing such a perspective and I actually learned a few things I didn't know before, thx bro Grin.

It is really hard to stay objective in a coin that you are interested in and I know that in the end it will come out positive since I have chosen to invest. But what I think many people don't do is list the problems you see/hear about and give the reasons why they still invest.

If you see people shilling a coin but then ignoring all negative comments/evidence towrds teh contrary that is not something I would like to invest in or would recommend anyone to invest in. That is why I chose to do the review in this way, take in everything negative about DeepOnion that seemed to have merit and do research from that point of view. Based on these facts, would i still invest? The conclusion i came to was yes (as stated in the article).

I am very glad to hear someone appreciate my attempt at neutrality and point of view!  Smiley

Rabbai89

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:01:18 AM

I love DeepOnion! Great project, team, and community!

▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
yanesna3

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:58:55 PM

Good job my friend, DEEP ONION is a solid project that will dominate the competition soon. What a sale on Onions today, i weighted down my bags some more..

DeepOnion is one of the most discussed projects, and it has proved already that many people support it. Meanwhile, I am still not sure if I want to use these coins or not.

Watched this video about DeepOnion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brCfJxQTt0c
mvplol

Activity: 62

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 02:15:54 PM

Thank you. As this coin is part of my portfolio, i appreciate reading neutral opinions whether they're good or bad. I think it healthy for investors to read the positive and the negative on their investments and then do their research. I'm not sure if you do this already but maybe you should make this a series? Unbiased reviews on different projects.
3months18w

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 02:21:16 PM

I have only 2 questions :why is there no main exchanges  to list DeepOnion ? why its 24 hours volume is so low ?
There 2 questions proves how is DeepOnion like .

Ebenezar64 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 09:28:08 AM

I have only 2 questions :why is there no main exchanges  to list DeepOnion ? why its 24 hours volume is so low ?
There 2 questions proves how is DeepOnion like .

Great points and something that maybe I should have addressed in the article but I will take some time to answer here

Why no major exchanges listed DeepOnion yet?
DeepOnion is listed on KuCoin and Cryptopia as the current top exchanges. The reason why Bittrex and Binance haven't listed the coin is because DeepOnion isn't allowed to be listed until after the AirDrop is finished, which will be in about 10 weeks. After the AirDrop the developers will apply to be added to the major exchanges: Bittrex, Binance, Poloniex and Bitfinex. I am not sure if DeepOnion will be added to all of these exchanges since I have heard that having an anonymous development team might be a hindrance.

Why is the 24H volume so low
This is hard to approach since what do you consider a low 24H volume? The 24H volume is now around 2-300K USD and it topped out at 3-4M USD at the ATH. The market cap of the coin is around 40-50M currently. If we just randomly look at some coins in that area: CloakCoin, Hive and Decision token the 24H volume is very similar. CloackCoin and Decision token are slightly higher at 3-400k USD but I would say the difference just depends on popularity at the time. As for CloackCoin it is already listed on Bittrex which helps drive the volume a little higher.

I think that the volume is not overly low for a 40M market cap coin that has yet to be listed to Binance or Bittrex but please elaborate on your question and I will have a deeper look.

Ebenezar64 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 09:33:52 AM

Thank you. As this coin is part of my portfolio, i appreciate reading neutral opinions whether they're good or bad. I think it healthy for investors to read the positive and the negative on their investments and then do their research. I'm not sure if you do this already but maybe you should make this a series? Unbiased reviews on different projects.

I have been thinking about it and it might be something that I will start up more regularly. So far the responses have been fairly low on Steemit which is why I haven't spent more time on it. But if I see that people are appreciating it and asking for more, that is something I would like to do.

Again, neutrality is hard since the project I bring up are probably going to be projects that I am interested in, or that I am thinking about investing. Since otherwise, I will pretty much not do the research needed. But almost no project is perfect so I would still try to highlight the points where there are gaps and hopefully that will be enough.

Glad that you at least would like to see a future series and hopefully more will feel the same.

borpolev

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 10:14:41 PM

Why is the 24H volume so low
This is hard to approach since what do you consider a low 24H volume? The 24H volume is now around 2-300K USD and it topped out at 3-4M USD at the ATH. The market cap of the coin is around 40-50M currently. If we just randomly look at some coins in that area: CloakCoin, Hive and Decision token the 24H volume is very similar. CloackCoin and Decision token are slightly higher at 3-400k USD but I would say the difference just depends on popularity at the time. As for CloackCoin it is already listed on Bittrex which helps drive the volume a little higher.

I think that the volume is not overly low for a 40M market cap coin that has yet to be listed to Binance or Bittrex but please elaborate on your question and I will have a deeper look.

Perhaps because nobody wants to buy it as everyone can get some free coins on airdrop, and nobody wants to sell after the price plunge as everyone now waits for the bullish leg?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: