Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:07:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When will altcoins be independent of bitcoin's movement?  (Read 342 times)
bstewart (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 07:58:27 PM

I understand that since altcoins are paired with BTC for trading, the price is based off bitcoin's.

However, even if an altcoin is doing well, it can tank (in terms of sats) when bitcoin's price corrects.

Will we ever see a market that isn't so heavily dependent on bitcoin? Is this possible for the future?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
randythered

Activity: 434
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:48:47 PM

I understand that since altcoins are paired with BTC for trading, the price is based off bitcoin's.

However, even if an altcoin is doing well, it can tank (in terms of sats) when bitcoin's price corrects.

Will we ever see a market that isn't so heavily dependent on bitcoin? Is this possible for the future?

This will come with time as the public are more aware of other cryptocurrencies and their benefits, right now for many bitcoin and cryptocurrency are the same thing when in fact bitcoin is just the tip of the iceberg.

chutchmcgillicutty

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:52:45 PM

Once youxcan buy an altcoin without buying btc to buy it, it becomes free from one side of the connection. However a lot of people like to keep their assets in crypto, so they will trade out of alts into btc and/or eth, so until btc lises its spot as the top dog, it will always have some correlation to the market as a whol ie alts

Cool

GLOBAL DECENTRALIZED ADVERTISING EXCHANGE

Token sale: MAY 21

▄█▄      ▄█▄        
                                 █████    █████       
                        ▄██▄     ▀█▀      ▀█▀        
                ▄█▄    ▀██▀                           
         ▄     ▀█▀                        ▄█▄        
        ▀█▀                      ▄█▄     █████       
                        ▄██▄    █████     ▀█▀        
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀                  
         ▄     ▀█▀                        ▄█▄        
        ▀█▀                      ▄█▄     █████       
                        ▄██▄    █████     ▀█▀        
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀                  
                ▀█▀                                    
          ▄                      ▄█▄      ▄█▄        
         ▀█▀           ▄██▄    █████    █████       
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀      ▀█▀        
                ▀█▀                                    
           ▄                      ▄█▄     ▄█▄        
          ▀█▀            ▄██▄   █████   █████       
    ██            ▄█▄   ▀██▀    ▀█▀     ▀█▀        
             ▄    ▀█▀                                 
            ▀█▀                         ▄█▄           
       ██              ▄█▄   ▄██▄    █████          
                  ▄    ▀█▀   ▀██▀     ▀█▀           
                 ▀█▀                                   
            ██                   ▄██▄                 
                    ▄     ▄█▄   ▀██▀                 
                   ▀█▀    ▀█▀                          

▄█   ▄█  ▄█        ▄█████▄   ▀█▄     ▄█▀
██   ██  ██▄▄▄▄▄   ██▀   ▀██    ▀█▄  ▄█▀
██   ██  ██▀▀▀▀██  ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ████   
██   ██  ██   ██  ██▄   ▄█    ▄██▀▀██▄   
▀██████▀  ▀██████▀  ▀███████▀   ▄██▀   ▀██▄
Telegram
Facebook
ANN Thread
Youtube
LinkedIn
Twitter
Medium
Reddit
Github
Tatzky

Activity: 162
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:58:35 PM

ever since trading begun way back on the history of barter when the currency was created, all people in the market need something standard or common practice to compare all the value of their currency, they have many kinds of coins before like copper, bronze, silver but the most valuable is the gold but the value of ll coins was based on the value of gold, like ten copper is equivalent to 1 piece gold coin , etc, same with the digital coin, they need a standard and basis to give their coin a price.

▐|     KRYPTOBITS     ▐|   THE NEXT GENERATION EXCHANGE
●》 Pre ICO start on May 17th 2018     [     kryptobits.com     ]
d_crypto

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:01:45 PM

It would be very hard for alt-coins to be separated from bitcoin...Once they have bigger trading pair than btc then this might be slightly independent.
Hui8

Activity: 602
Merit: 259

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:04:51 PM

I think that is what not allowed for the crypto currencies because they are literally decentralised and very manipulative. If we do not make any trades in the bitcoin but makes loads of transactions in the altcoins then they can get affected in sever ways and thus can get pumped or dumped depending upon the situation. So its like altcoins are neither too dependent on the bitcoin and sometime they are so much dependent that their graph moves in similar manner as with the bitcoin. This is what happened in todays trades also, when bitcoin started jumping upwards it actually drove the market of altcoins upwards too.
kevoh

Activity: 448
Merit: 110

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:08:45 PM

For this to happen, bitcoin will have to lose it's market capitalization completely and possibly become a worthless currency only then can the altcoins become independent. But then again the altcoins will have to be traded against the new coin that dominates the market.
cryptogeek101

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

homt.net

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 08:16:47 PM

There is no way altcoins will be totally independent of Bitcoin because Bitcoin is regarded as the base currency in the the Blockchain world. Any time there is movement in the price of Bitcoin it will automatically affect other cryptocurrencies. That's the reality of Bitcoin impact the crypto space. Thanks

HOMT