Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:18:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: just bought a closed looped water cooled 1080ti, Will I need a new power supply?  (Read 221 times)
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 09:16:49 PM

I went to microcenter and went to ask if they could order me a water cooled card and when I went to New egg, there it was! for $950 the

Graphics Card GeForce® GTX 10 Series AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Edition 11G

AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Edition 11G

http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TAORUSX-W-11GD-rev-10-11#kf

its pretty nice, no more fan issues, or heat issues, I could leave my PC on in the blazing heat and not worry. And the price looks pretty good I think regular 1080tis went for $800-850

So I have this power supply

EVGA 500W 80Plus Power Supply Unit and it has 2x 8pin (6+2)

I have a 1070 in there, would I need a new power supply, if so which one? Is there a golden standard miners go by?
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 10:16:18 PM

I would not recommend using a 500W PSU for your base system, a 1070, AND a 1080ti. *Perhaps* you could get by with the right power adapters and power/clock settings, but I still wouldn't have much confidence in it for 24/7 operation.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Mintycash

Activity: 220
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:24:00 PM

I went to microcenter and went to ask if they could order me a water cooled card and when I went to New egg, there it was! for $950 the

Graphics Card GeForce® GTX 10 Series AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Edition 11G

its pretty nice, no more fan issues, or heat issues, I could leave my PC on in the blazing heat and not worry. And the price looks pretty good I think regular 1080tis went for $800-850

I have a 1070 in there, would I need a new power supply, if so which one? Is there a golden standard miners go by?

The answer is yes! You do need a new power supply!
The webpage below reports 471W JUST for the 2 graphic cards, not counting with cpu, MB, ram, etc...
http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
In addition, bare in mind power supply can lose 5% of capacity per year so you don't know if your power supply still holds the full wattage or if it will next year.
It is true though that the above calculation was done for max peaks of power used and you "might" be able to boot and work at idle, but still you will be totally in the danger zone.
You don't want to risk 2 expensive graphic cards with a small power supply. Get a nice GOLD rated 750W at least, or even higher in case you want to add a 3rd graphic card in the future.
2stout

Activity: 2394
Merit: 593

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:30:39 PM

Upgrade time, would recommend 1000W PSU so you are good for now and phase 1 future expansion, don't want to keep having to buy PSU each time you desire to expand/upgrade.
clyjr

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 12:16:49 AM

FYI, for a real world comparison I run 1- 1080ti seahawk, and 2 - gtx 1070 (fan style).  Kill-a-watt says 570 watts draw, all 3 are 75% power limit.  so if you take out one 1070 (about 140 watts) you are looking at around 430 watts at the wall...
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:33:19 PM

The webpage below reports 471W JUST for the 2 graphic cards, not counting with cpu, MB, ram, etc...
In addition, bare in mind power supply can lose 5% of capacity per year so you don't know if your power supply still holds the full wattage or if it will next year.
It is true though that the above calculation was done for max peaks of power used and you "might" be able to boot and work at idle, but still you will be totally in the danger zone.
You don't want to risk 2 expensive graphic cards with a small power supply. Get a nice GOLD rated 750W at least, or even higher in case you want to add a 3rd graphic card in the future.

my water cooled gpu just came, so your saying I could burn the chips or mother board using my 500 watt power supply, 1 1080ti and 1 1070? Im going to need a power supply with alot of 8 pin connectors right? or can I use the adapter?

BTC22

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:57:48 PM

I got news for you. I run 4 liquid cooled cards and the intercoolers produce a ton of heat. Yes, the cards stay under 50C but the room will get very warm, very quickly.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:26:15 PM

I'm so glad you finally got a gpu.  How long until you want another one?  Trying to figure out how long of a break we'll have from listening to you whine and bitch that gpus are out of stock or too expensive. Smiley

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
BTC22

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:35:52 PM

I'm so glad you finally got a gpu.  How long until you want another one?  Trying to figure out how long of a break we'll have from listening to you whine and bitch that gpus are out of stock or too expensive. Smiley

EVGA has a bunch online yesterday. Got some 1080 ti for $800
gotminer

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:40:14 PM

That comment wasn't aimed at you.  I was talking about the OP ... Lol.  Yeah I saw that EVGA had some, but every link I clicked on said you needed elite status.  I need to set that up tonight.  I'm not really dying for gpu's at the moment.  My small 24 gpu farm is enough for me right now, unless I can find some really good deals somewhere.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 09:50:05 PM

I got news for you. I run 4 liquid cooled cards and the intercoolers produce a ton of heat. Yes, the cards stay under 50C but the room will get very warm, very quickly.

Are you saying the radiator will make heat? My video card just has 2 tubes connected to a fan that's a radiator.

Also the room will be hot in the summer time to so what's your point about outside heat?
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 09:52:53 PM

Are you saying the radiator will make heat? My video card just has 2 tubes connected to a fan that's a radiator.

Also the room will be hot in the summer time to so what's your point about outside heat?

That comment wasn't aimed at you.  I was talking about the OP ... Lol.  Yeah I saw that EVGA had some, but every link I clicked on said you needed elite status.  I need to set that up tonight.  I'm not really dying for gpu's at the moment.  My small 24 gpu farm is enough for me right now, unless I can find some really good deals somewhere.

You have 24 gpus? Thats alot of daily income. Are  you paying your taxes?
If so how? I want 24 gpus but I don't want to be a tax evador
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 09:59:27 PM

If so how? I want 24 gpus but I don't want to be a tax evador. I heard they are looking to make examples out of people
gotminer

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 10:39:03 PM

If so how? I want 24 gpus but I don't want to be a tax evador

You should listen to the Crypto 101 podcast on taxes in the US that was put out a few days ago.  Lots of good info there, if you're curious.

Mintycash

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 10:51:13 PM

my water cooled gpu just came, so your saying I could burn the chips or mother board using my 500 watt power supply, 1 1080ti and 1 1070? Im going to need a power supply with alot of 8 pin connectors right? or can I use the adapter?

Power supplies of decent quality have protections to prevent damage to hardware in case of failure but I would not risk it. Even with good power supplies you can get a faulty one and fry something in your computer. So you spend nearly 1k or more in graphic cards but not sure if spend 100 in a power supply... It's up to you now, you asked and you have been told! Good luck!
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 11:22:53 PM

Power supplies of decent quality have protections to prevent damage to hardware in case of failure but I would not risk it. Even with good power supplies you can get a faulty one and fry something in your computer. So you spend nearly 1k or more in graphic cards but not sure if spend 100 in a power supply... It's up to you now, you asked and you have been told! Good luck!

I ended up getting this one

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0750-X1

its 750watts evga g3, its one of the best, or so the guy said. is it a good one?
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2018, 11:45:54 PM

its 750watts evga g3, its one of the best, or so the guy said. is it a good one?

If I recall correctly, the 750W G3 is done by Super Flower, which is one of the top-tier PSU OEMs. For a 1070 and 1080ti (and nothing wacky with your CPU/mobo/RAM/fans/drives), 750W should do the trick, assuming it has all of the connectors you need.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Mintycash

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:40:09 PM

I don't say anything but reviews are good! Seems a good choice!
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=500
g1orgi

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 06:26:48 PM

i have got the same gpu and i use corsair 750w gold for it including mobo an etc, and corsair 1000w gold for 4x gtx1060 6gb
Gigabyte is the beast for OC Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: