Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:24:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking out initial investment as a means to reinvest?  (Read 75 times)
bennylava (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:42:05 AM

I'd like to lay out some thoughts and hopefully you guys can help me sort through them. I'm still a beginner but I'm trying to learn from my past mistakes. And I've noticed that many people (if not most people) will sell half of a given coin, once their initial investment is covered. So basically, when they've doubled their money.

A hypothetical example to help me understand: If you bought $100 worth of coin X at 50 sats, you would then sell half of the coins, once it reached 100 sats. Because your initial investment would be covered. And you're still invested $100 into the coin, you just have half the amount of coins now. But you've got $100 extra to play with. Likely in bitcoin, which is what you traded half of coin X for once it doubled in price.

But, you are interested in long term investing in this coin. You like coin X, think its a good project, and have done your research and decided that you want to be a long term investor in coin X. And you want to acquire as much of coin X as you possibly can. That way 5 years from now when its time to sell, of course you make a lot more money because you have a lot more coins to sell.

So is selling off half, to cover your initial investment, a viable strategy when it comes to long term investing? You could just wait until you saw coin X plummet back down to 25 sats, or 35 sats, or whatever, and take your $100 and buy more of coin X. In this way, you actually end up with more of coin X, than if you had never sold at all. Is doing this a good idea? Or is it too risky? Because perhaps coin X never goes back down to 25 sats. That has been my fear, and why I have yet to be able to convince myself to do this. What are your thoughts and opinions on this? As a strategy for acquiring more of a coin you want to hold for the long term.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:24:41 AM

there are lots of different strategies when it comes to investment and managing your money. it is not really easy to say if one strategy is good and the other bad. not generally anyways. sometimes this strategy you described is a good one for certain coins under certain circumstances but not good always.

I usually use this strategy if I want to get the money out for good. meaning if I see the risks of investing in some coin is high so I cash out the initial investment and keep the profit and then continue working with that. and never invest that initial amount ($100 in this case) back in it. and it is a viable strategy!

but in some cases for example when investing in bitcoin I invest the profit back in. in other words I keep the profit in bitcoin not in fiat. for example I buy 0.01BTC price goes up and I expect a correction, I sell and buy back in the dip with the money I got and receive 0.013BTC

Only Bitcoin
bennylava (OP)

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:31:35 AM

there are lots of different strategies when it comes to investment and managing your money. it is not really easy to say if one strategy is good and the other bad. not generally anyways. sometimes this strategy you described is a good one for certain coins under certain circumstances but not good always.

I usually use this strategy if I want to get the money out for good. meaning if I see the risks of investing in some coin is high so I cash out the initial investment and keep the profit and then continue working with that. and never invest that initial amount ($100 in this case) back in it. and it is a viable strategy!

but in some cases for example when investing in bitcoin I invest the profit back in. in other words I keep the profit in bitcoin not in fiat. for example I buy 0.01BTC price goes up and I expect a correction, I sell and buy back in the dip with the money I got and receive 0.013BTC

Yeah I could see where some coins, it would be a bad idea. But when you say:

And never invest that initial amount ($100 in this case) back in it.

Do you mean that you never invest what you made, back in? That $100 that you skimmed off the top, never goes back in? But what if its a solid coin? That you know is just going to go right back up, after the market recovers from the crash?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:56:11 AM

The rational reasons for selling part of an investment would be to reduce risk and to maintain diversification. While the purpose of selling to cover your initial investment is to reduce risk, the amount sold is not based on reason.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Heidim

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 02:02:01 PM

I am married to a lot of coins.. Wink So those I will keep for at least 5 years. The other coins, I will take profit and fork into new coins. But its really is up to you how you do it.
amir.malik

Activity: 55

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 05:09:44 PM

That's up to you. What they are doing is making sure that they will not incur loss. Since they were able to get the amount they invested in, there is no chance of losing the capital/initial investment. You can do what you want with your investment, but remember that they come with risks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: