Bitcoin Forum
September 01, 2024, 06:08:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing Private Key into Electrum problem  (Read 109 times)
spczld (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 02:23:28 PM

My private key is 52 digits long, generated via bitaddress.org. I have the latest version, but my problem is, instead of Electrum letting me write down my private key in the window where I should write it (the window that pops after I select my wallet name and create a wallet for importing Bitcoin addresses or private keys), it only lets me write down my Public key. If I write down my Private key it doesn’t let me continue to the next step, aka it doesn’t let me click “Next” (see the img below)
http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/422/9259422C.png
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1475

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 02:35:13 PM

My private key is 52 digits long, generated via bitaddress.org. I have the latest version, but my problem is, instead of Electrum letting me write down my private key in the window where I should write it (the window that pops after I select my wallet name and create a wallet for importing Bitcoin addresses or private keys), it only lets me write down my Public key. If I write down my Private key it doesn’t let me continue to the next step, aka it doesn’t let me click “Next” (see the img below)

That happens when the private key is not recognized as valid.
You can go to the option "Wallet Details" on bitaddress and double check it's OK, or try another format (the one that starts with 5).

If you keep having problems, you can try creating another address, a dummy one which you'll never user and you can share here, just so that we can confirm you're doing it right.

But, why are you importing a private key there? If it does funds, you should sweep it instead (Wallet > Private key > Sweep), it's much safer.
If it's a fresh new address, then don't create it on a website! Just create a new wallet on Electrum with newly generated seed.
spczld (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 02:54:19 PM

You can go to the option "Wallet Details" on bitaddress and double check it's OK, or try another format (the one that starts with 5).

If you keep having problems, you can try creating another address, a dummy one which you'll never user and you can share here, just so that we can confirm you're doing it right.

But, why are you importing a private key there? If it does funds, you should sweep it instead (Wallet > Private key > Sweep), it's much safer.
If it's a fresh new address, then don't create it on a website! Just create a new wallet on Electrum with newly generated seed.
NVM it was all my mistake. I couldn't figure if a part of the text was an "l" or "1". Sorry and thank you for the help. Best regards!
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1475

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 03:00:23 PM

I made a deal with a guy who told me to generate a bitaddress public and private key. via the public key he sent me some btc. He told me to save my private key somewhere and I did so. Now I want to transfer these funds into a wallet, and turns out the private key is wrong, but I don't understand how could it be wrong since I have a screenshot of it from bitaddress.

You really should have just created a new wallet with a new seed. Creating a new address on bitaddress or any other website is a very bad idea.

Didn't you save the QR Codes or the private key as key? Just the screenshot? It's really hard to copy a full private key without any mistakes.
I'm almost certain you made a small mistake when copying it from the screenshot. It must be perfect, including the case. If you swap a single character or make it lowercase instead of uppercase then it will fail.

Just try again. A good method is to copy everything twice and then compare you copied it exactly the same both times.

If the QR Codes of the private key is included on the screenshot then it will be much easier to just sweep it by scanning that code using a mobile wallet, for example Coinomi (install it, create a new wallet, backup the seed, go to Bitcoin, options > Sweep and touch the QR Code icon).

NVM it was all my mistake. I couldn't figure if a part of the text was an "l" or "1". Sorry and thank you for the help. Best regards!
Good. Never do that again. Just use Electrum or other wallet and backup the seed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: