Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:37:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux noob trying to run bitcoin via SSH  (Read 8904 times)
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 03:27:53 PM

Kokjo you're quite an @$$.
yes sometimes. i did only think that it was two noobs, who did not know what they where taking about. sorry for being an @$$.

Let's think about this for a minute. He has a VPS. So he doesn't have local access to the machine. So, a teamviewer session would work like this. Mr VPS user logs into SSH into the VPS on his windws/linux desktop. He then allows you to have teamviewer access to his desktop which has the SSH shell. Several other people appeared to understand what he was talking about. And you're the nice person trying to help? Come on.
sorry i did not see that possibility, but sure i will do it. Smiley

sure i will do the teamviewer thing, i what to help. and im quite capable of handling an linux server via ssh.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 04:36:04 PM

Interesting regarding the teamviewer aspect... so it's basically VNCing into my desktop while I'm VNC'd or SSH'd into the server?  I can't see anything wrong with that.

Let me get an ok from the other person on the project, and then I'll send you a PM.
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 04:58:58 PM

@OP

If you want to run bitcoind from SSH extract bitcoin and cd into the bin folder and type

Code:
/path/to/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind -<your_flags>&

If you want to run the client it's slightly different. You need to setup X11 forwarding and ssh into the machine. Then you can run the bitcoin software remotely. On the remote machine add the folloing lines to the bottom of /etc/ssh/ssh_config

Code:
ForwardX11 yes
ForwardX11Trusted yes
AllowTcpForwarding  yes

Restart ssh on the remote machine and your good to go. If your using a linux box to connect then

Code:
ssh -Y <your_ip>

Windows userscan grab putty and tick this ..

If you want to start the client on the server's screen then use

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 /path/to/bitcoin/bin/bitcoin

Here's it all setup and working

Hope this helps Wink
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 06:04:13 PM

@OP

If you want to run bitcoind from SSH extract bitcoin and cd into the bin folder and type

Code:

If you want to run the client it's slightly different. You need to setup X11 forwarding and ssh into the machine. Then you can run the bitcoin software remotely. On the remote machine add the folloing lines to the bottom of /etc/ssh/ssh_config

Code:
ForwardX11 yes
ForwardX11Trusted yes
AllowTcpForwarding  yes

Restart ssh on the remote machine and your good to go. If your using a linux box to connect then

Code:
ssh -Y <your_ip>

<removed pic>

Code:

<removed pic>

Hope this helps Wink

not to be an @$$ again. but we are not talking about starting bitcoind in X over ssh. bitcoind runs fine headless.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
drgr33n

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 09:12:09 PM

@OP

Code:

Code:
ForwardX11 yes
ForwardX11Trusted yes
AllowTcpForwarding  yes

Code:
ssh -Y <your_ip>

<removed pic>

Code:

<removed pic>

Hope this helps Wink

not to be an @$$ again. but we are not talking about starting bitcoind in X over ssh. bitcoind runs fine headless.

that's why i covered both.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 09:15:11 PM

@OP

Code:
./bitcoind accomplishes the same thing, right?  That's basically what I tried to do, and got the following error message:

Code:
./bitcoind: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./bitcoind)
./bitcoind: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by ./bitcoind)
./bitcoind: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.8' not found (required by ./bitcoind)
./bitcoind: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by ./bitcoind)

What is the ampersand at the end of the flag for?  I haven't seen that used previously...
drgr33n

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 09:44:36 PM

The error's your getting seems to suggest you've built bitcoin on another machine ? It's looking for libs it cannot find and failing. If you run that version locally you will get the same result. Why don't you just use the pre compiled binaries ?

The ampersand at the end is so bitcoind starts and runs in the background so you can still use the shell,
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 10:11:42 PM

The error's your getting seems to suggest you've built bitcoin on another machine ? It's looking for libs it cannot find and failing. If you run that version locally you will get the same result. Why don't you just use the pre compiled binaries ?

The ampersand at the end is so bitcoind starts and runs in the background so you can still use the shell,
I tried the precompiled binary the first go around, and got an error about a missing lib (see posts near beginning of this thread).  Then, Joel posted a version for me to try, and it has different missing libs.

Does & = -daemon then?

EDIT:  This is the error I got from the precompiled binary:
Code:
"./bitcoind: error while loading shared libraries: libgthread-2.0.so.0: cannot o$"
drgr33n

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 10:27:33 PM

I tried the precompiled binary the first go around, and got an error about a missing lib (see posts near beginning of this thread).  Then, Joel posted a version for me to try, and it has different missing libs.

Does & = -daemon then?

Code:
"./bitcoind: error while loading shared libraries: libgthread-2.0.so.0: cannot o$"

Your missing libgthread then Cheesy What version on linux ? If your ubuntu / debian

Code:
apt-get update;apt-get install libgthread
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 10:45:50 PM

Debian.  Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:53:38 AM

Does & = -daemon then?

Code:

Your missing libgthread then Cheesy What version on linux ? If your ubuntu / debian

Code:
Tried it.. seems like it got the update (?) ok, but then comes back with this on the second command:
Code:
E: Couldn't find package libgthread
drgr33n

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:08:14 AM

Does & = -daemon then?

Code:

Code:

Sorry my mistake :D You need [b]libglib2.0-0[/b]

[code]
apt-get install libglib2.0-0

[/code]
Tried it.. seems like it got the update (?) ok, but then comes back with this on the second command:
Code:
E: Couldn't find package libgthread
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:38:34 AM

Thanks, that install seemed to go through!  Unfortunately, still having errors trying to run bitcoind...

Code:
./bitcoind: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./bitcoind)
./bitcoind: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by ./bitcoind)

I googled around for a bit, couldn't find a solid answer.  Seems like some software called ccam uses the library, and lots of people had trouble with it related to ccam, but very few threads actually had solutions, and the ones that did were specific to that software.  Gave up on the search, since I'm still unfamiliar with what I'm looking for...
drgr33n

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:55:35 AM

Thanks, that install seemed to go through!  Unfortunately, still having errors trying to run bitcoind...

Code:
./bitcoind: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by ./bitcoind)

I googled around for a bit, couldn't find a solid answer.  Seems like some software called ccam uses the library, and lots of people had trouble with it related to ccam, but very few threads actually had solutions, and the ones that did were specific to that software.  Gave up on the search, since I'm still unfamiliar with what I'm looking for...

Use the precompiled binaries. Your modded bitcoin binaries have been compiled on a different machine and those are version mismatch errors to do with the migration.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:58:53 AM

Code:

Use the precompiled binaries. Your modded bitcoin binaries have been compiled on a different machine and those are version mismatch errors to do with the migration.
I'll redownload it and try again, but I deleted the whole bitcoin subforum, and untarred it again from scratch just before that error.  I'll delete the tar this time and redownload, just to be certain.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:03:28 AM

This is just after deleting all the bitcoin files and folders, redownloading, unzipping, and going at it again.  Interesting that the 64-bit bitcoind gives a different error than the 32-bit bitcoind.  Perhaps I should have specified which version I was trying to run?  I don't really care if it runs 64-bit or 32-bit, either one working would be fine.

Code:
vserver-mrme94e38:~# cd bitcoin-0.3.24
vserver-mrme94e38:~/bitcoin-0.3.24# cd bin
vserver-mrme94e38:~/bitcoin-0.3.24/bin# cd 64
vserver-mrme94e38:~/bitcoin-0.3.24/bin/64# ./bitcoind -daemon
vserver-mrme94e38:~/bitcoin-0.3.24/bin/64# cd ..
vserver-mrme94e38:~/bitcoin-0.3.24/bin# cd 32
vserver-mrme94e38:~/bitcoin-0.3.24/bin/32# ./bitcoind -daemon
./bitcoind: error while loading shared libraries: libgthread-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
vserver-mrme94e38:~/bitcoin-0.3.24/bin/32#
drgr33n

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:15:16 AM

This is just after deleting all the bitcoin files and folders, redownloading, unzipping, and going at it again.  Interesting that the 64-bit bitcoind gives a different error than the 32-bit bitcoind.  Perhaps I should have specified which version I was trying to run?  I don't really care if it runs 64-bit or 32-bit, either one working would be fine.

Code:
./bitcoind: error while loading shared libraries: libgthread-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Got your PM I'll reply in the after I get some sleep Wink Thats why your getting the version number mismatch. Your 32bit version will work after you type in terminal.

Code:
sudo apt-getr update
sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-0

Then run the 32bit version.
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:17:49 AM

i still firmly agree with davidonpda

step one.
SgtSpike installs team viewer on his computer, sets record sessions.
then sends session invite to computerized guy.

step two.
SgtSpike logs into his remote server.

step three.
computerized guy accepts session.

step four.
profit.

no password dataz to computerized guy, unless computerized guy is some how able to manage changing passwd right in front of sgt spike. however, nice computerized guy wouldn't do that.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:43:55 AM

This is just after deleting all the bitcoin files and folders, redownloading, unzipping, and going at it again.  Interesting that the 64-bit bitcoind gives a different error than the 32-bit bitcoind.  Perhaps I should have specified which version I was trying to run?  I don't really care if it runs 64-bit or 32-bit, either one working would be fine.

Code:

Got your PM I'll reply in the after I get some sleep Wink Thats why your getting the version number mismatch. Your 32bit version will work after you type in terminal.

Code:
sudo apt-getr update
sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-0

Then run the 32bit version.
Code:
sudo apt-getr update
didn't work, but
Code:
sudo apt-get update
did... did you mean it without the r?

Regardless, I went through those two steps.  The install step said:
Code:
libglib2.0-0 is already the newest version
and didn't update any files.

Then, when I went to launch bitcoind, it came up with the same error:
Code:

i still firmly agree with davidonpda

step one.
SgtSpike installs team viewer on his computer, sets record sessions.
then sends session invite to computerized guy.

step two.
SgtSpike logs into his remote server.

step three.
computerized guy accepts session.

step four.
profit.

no password dataz to computerized guy, unless computerized guy is some how able to manage changing passwd right in front of sgt spike. however, nice computerized guy wouldn't do that.
I'm leaning towards this, though it would be nice if I could find my way around linux a bit more, just in case something needs to be adjusted in the future.  I just wish it wasn't so dang hard to figure all these libraries and dependencies out.  Just makes me thankful that I have Windows so I don't have to deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis.  Sorry for making all you linux gurus cringe.  Tongue
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 08:58:11 AM

I'm leaning towards this, though it would be nice if I could find my way around linux a bit more, just in case something needs to be adjusted in the future.  I just wish it wasn't so dang hard to figure all these libraries and dependencies out.  Just makes me thankful that I have Windows so I don't have to deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis.  Sorry for making all you linux gurus cringe.  Tongue

I don't want to derail your thread but, if you end up doing this yourself. I suggest setting up a VM (virtual machine) with virtualbox to build it, using the same distro or a similar debian core distro your remote server is using. Then transfer the binary over to your remote server. If you want to do that start another thread, and I will find material for you on how to do it.

this will help for accelerating your learning linux:
linux commands reference & tutorials:
http://www.pixelbeat.org/cmdline.html
^that one you can c/p with
http://fosswire.com/post/2007/08/unixlinux-command-cheat-sheet/
^pdf
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-unix-commands-cheat-sheets.html
^ a bunch of different getting started links, some of the sites linked do have broken links, I'm mainly just talking about the linux command reference The Ultimate collection. that one is full of broken links.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: