Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:03:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux noob trying to run bitcoin via SSH  (Read 8904 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 09:02:17 AM

Tasty - what would be the benefit from doing so?

Thanks for the links too!  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 09:48:07 AM

Tasty - what would be the benefit from doing so?

Thanks for the links too!  Smiley

I hope I'm not defeating the purpose of you building it on the target system, but the main benefit is having something you can mess up and replace very easily. You can even create an extra layer of security by having someone help you build it inside your VM, package it, then you could transfer the build over to the remote server yourself.
That is quite a few extra set of steps. Though after having read more of the thread in detail I noticed you are in this with a partner, so it could make things a bit easier on trust letting someone on the outside help you.

The main/biggest downfall is not building directly on your remote system. As you will surely want to update often, you may want the remote server to have all the libs unless you keep building them in the VM.

What drGr33n wrote here could most certainly help you:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=28718.msg366587#msg366587

It's very good info, I've wondered if that was possible.
After some research I found it relatively easy to do too:
http://www.math.umn.edu/systems_guide/putty_xwin32.html

Interesting thread Bro.
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 10:10:01 AM

I don't completely understand why this isn't working for you, but look at this:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=29035.0
Later on today try updating and installing it.

here is how you do it.

copy/paste this:
Code:
add-apt-repository ppa:stretch/bitcoin

the output will look similar to this:
Code:
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv CD1034FCBFA4E05DCFAD0C2A8741DDC3A4FF3776
gpg: requesting key A4FF3776 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key A4FF3776: "Launchpad PPA for David Armstrong" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1
then
Code:

sudo apt-get update
then
Code:

sudo apt-get install bitcoin
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:31:54 PM

Sgtspike send me a detailed description on what you are trying to achieve and I'll screenshare and talk you through it.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:41:31 PM

Tasty - more problems.  Tongue

I tried the first command, but got an error.
Code:
vserver-mrme94e38:~# add-apt-repository ppa:stretch/bitcoin
-bash: add-apt-repository: command not found
Googled it, and apparently that command is part of the python-software-properties package, so I followed the instructions to install said package.

Still getting the same error.  Undecided

Any ideas?

At least all of this googling and package installing is getting me more familiar with linux commands.
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:43:52 PM

Tasty - more problems.  Tongue

I tried the first command, but got an error.
Code:
vserver-mrme94e38:~# add-apt-repository ppa:stretch/bitcoin
-bash: add-apt-repository: command not found
Googled it, and apparently that command is part of the python-software-properties package, so I followed the instructions to install said package.

Still getting the same error.  Undecided

Any ideas?

At least all of this googling and package installing is getting me more familiar with linux commands.

Like I said get in touch and I'll get it setup for you. I'm available for the next 30 mins and I charge 3BTC per hour. Your problem will take me about 15 mins max Wink
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:00:46 AM

Got XAMPP working on the server, so that makes me happy.  Smiley

Ok, so I'm still up against this error trying to run bitcoind:
Code:
./bitcoind: error while loading shared libraries: libgthread-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I've uninstalled the libgthread2.0-0 package using "sudo apt-get remove libglib2.0-0" and reinstalled it using "sudo apt-get install libgthread2.0-0".  Still getting the same error.

Now, I've read a few people suggesting symlinks.  From what I understand, a symlink is basically an alias or pointer for another file?  Is there a possibility that the library file is misnamed, and I can point libgthread-2.0.so.0 to the proper file via a symlink?
drawoc

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 175wn

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:27:00 AM

You could try installing the package "ia32-libs-gtk", which contains a 32 bit version of libgthread (just a warning: it includes some GTK+ stuff too).

Donate: 175WNXmJ1WVhFgVGKUqEhYtAQGRYAvqPA
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 05:06:47 AM

You could try installing the package "ia32-libs-gtk", which contains a 32 bit version of libgthread (just a warning: it includes some GTK+ stuff too).
Interesting... now I'm getting the same error as the 64-bit version of bitcoind when trying to run the 32-bit version.  I suppose that's a good thing, now that I have one error out of the way...  Just need to figure out this one.  I'll do some more googling, but if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to give me a shout.

Code:
./bitcoind: /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./bitcoind)
./bitcoind: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by ./bitcoind)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 05:51:21 AM

Well, I managed to find a working version of 0.3.22 to run.  It was meant for centOS, but seems to work on debian without a problem.  I have yet to test RPC calls though.

The version I am using was downloaded from this post:  http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=685.msg371171#msg371171

Why is it such a problem to run bitcoind on Debian and so many other headless linux OS's?  From what I have read, it seems like the dependencies are not something you can upgrade - it's part of the core OS.  It seems silly to have such dependencies that exclude so many linux OS's from running bitcoin...

I could be wrong, and if I am, I would very much appreciate someone pointing out how it might be possible to run one of the later versions of bitcoind on debian.
ghotir

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 09:00:56 AM

Well, I managed to find a working version of 0.3.22 to run.  It was meant for centOS, but seems to work on debian without a problem.  I have yet to test RPC calls though.

The version I am using was downloaded from this post:  http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=685.msg371171#msg371171

Why is it such a problem to run bitcoind on Debian and so many other headless linux OS's?  From what I have read, it seems like the dependencies are not something you can upgrade - it's part of the core OS.  It seems silly to have such dependencies that exclude so many linux OS's from running bitcoin...

I could be wrong, and if I am, I would very much appreciate someone pointing out how it might be possible to run one of the later versions of bitcoind on debian.
What Debian release are you running? Squeeze, Wheezy, Sid?
From what I know of the Debian Way, Squeeze is stable due to the lack of "latest, greatest and cutting edge" - could be part of the problem?
Rock-solid Stable doesn't always mean "everything is going to work just fine"
As far as I know, the Boost libs are the only  so-called "nonstandard" libraries that bitcoin depends on (I could be wrong).
have you tried building just the daemon (no gui, no Wx Widgets)?
drawoc

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 06:23:51 PM

The issue here is that your libc isn't new enough for the precompiled binaries - they were compiled against a newer version of libc. libc is the C standard library, so anything written in C or C++ (basically everything) depends on it, so it's hard to upgrade.

Anyway, what's confusing me is that I'm running debian stable on my desktop right now, and bitcoin runs fine. I checked the package repos, and all the libraries are a new enough version.

Are you sure you're not on oldstable? Try running:
Code:
 cat /etc/issue 
If you're running stable, it should say "Debian GNU/Linux 6.0"
If it says 5.0, then you're running oldstable, and that's your problem. You're probably going to need to upgrade to stable sometime anyway, and that would let you run the precompiled bitcoind just fine.

Another option is to compile the binaries yourself. It shouldn't be too hard since you won't need UPnP or wxwidgets.

The reason why the centos binaries work is because centos also has an older libc, so compiling against that older version lets it run on your system.

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 10:30:27 PM

Code:
Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 \n \l

So the issue boils down to this:  Someone else compiled it for bitcoin.org on a flavor of linux with newer libraries, and since my version of linux has older libraries, I can't run it.

I'll look at compiling it myself then, that seems to be the only route to go.

Is there a way to update from 5.0 to 6.0 without losing my files and configs?
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 10:41:53 PM

SgtSpike, It is possible I missed something but can you tell me why do you need to run bitcoin in your rented headless box.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
drawoc

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 11:43:42 PM

Code:

So the issue boils down to this:  Someone else compiled it for bitcoin.org on a flavor of linux with newer libraries, and since my version of linux has older libraries, I can't run it.

Yes, you can upgrade. Here are instructions:
http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 12:13:42 AM

The latest bitcoind binary doesn't work under Debian 5, you need to recompile it to old versions of libstdc++
Last version of pre-compiled binaries that works with Debian 5 is 3.21.
I'll probably need to recompile my own, but 32 bit version, so I put the binaries once I take some time to do it.

Welcome to wonderful world of Linux, where versions come after each others for no reason at all...
Hail to Cobol! Since 1960 to our days minimal changes and versions came out.
The reason? When you create something that just works, you don't need to keep releasing new versions. BSD is also stable, so you don't see any new version of BSD "pooping out every year", now Linux... is just in competition with Windows when it comes to see which of them crashes most!  Grin

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 02:53:40 AM

Code:

Yes, you can upgrade. Here are instructions:
http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
Well, been following those instructions for the past two hours, and when it finally came to the kernel + udev install, then a reboot, SSH didn't come back up.  Sad

Guess I'll ask my VPS provider to reset it and start over.  Or maybe look at what other OS's they have available...
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 02:58:59 AM

SgtSpike, It is possible I missed something but can you tell me why do you need to run bitcoin in your rented headless box.

It'll be for a new website I am developing.  I'll be running XAMPP and bitcoind.
drawoc

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:09:21 AM

Well, been following those instructions for the past two hours, and when it finally came to the kernel + udev install, then a reboot, SSH didn't come back up.  Sad

Guess I'll ask my VPS provider to reset it and start over.  Or maybe look at what other OS's they have available...
Sorry to hear that. I'd try to help recover, except I've never run a VPS, only local machines, so I don't have a clue what to do without physical access.

Anyway as for other OS's, I'm not sure what else you'd use. CentOS and Debian are some of the best for servers (and CentOS is a pain to get bitcoind working on). The main difference with Ubuntu on servers is that you end up upgrading more often than debian, so I'm not sure why you'd want to. If you want to run Windows, it'll likely be more expensive, and less reliable.

Maybe I'm biased because I use Debian, but it really seems to be the best choice to me.

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 05:42:51 AM

I'd be fine with Debian if it actually worked with the latest bitcoind.   Roll Eyes  Maybe they have Debian 6.0 available, not sure.  That's one thing I'll be checking out.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: