Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:48:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux noob trying to run bitcoin via SSH  (Read 8904 times)
ghotir

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 08:13:57 AM

I'd be fine with Debian if it actually worked with the latest bitcoind.   Roll Eyes  Maybe they have Debian 6.0 available, not sure.  That's one thing I'll be checking out.
Sid is the cutting edge. Try that. Should have the up to date libs, but as with any cutting edge stuff my usual disclaimer applies: "You might break stuff. Don't blame me, I didn't force you to installed it"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 01:03:43 PM

You can not update the Kernel in a VPS! Because the Kernel is shared with the main machine. VPS's are not VDS's.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:12:25 PM

You can not update the Kernel in a VPS! Because the Kernel is shared with the main machine. VPS's are not VDS's.
Haha, good to know...!
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:07:23 PM

Haha, good to know...!

VPS vs VDS Pros: They're way cheaper

VPS vs VDS Cons: Everything else.  Grin

A VPS is just like a shared host, except that each container has its own IP and shell. But from the main machine they look like: /vps/vps1/<and your filesystem>, /vps/vps2/<other guy filesystem>(...) whereas a VDS/DS mounts exactly at / and can have its own Kernel, swap and filesystem.
Actually one thing to look carefully with VPS's is the memory, because it has no swap or any virtualization of memory, if you run out of memory your system will most likely hang.

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:08:06 AM

So, got access to the VPS control panel, and am thinking about installing a different OS.  Below are my options.  Can I be assured that bitcoind-0.3.24 would run on any of them?  Or should I just start installing them and trying them out?

Gentoo
Debian 5.0
Ubuntu
CentOS
Fedora
OpenSuse

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:20:55 AM

So, got access to the VPS control panel, and am thinking about installing a different OS.  Below are my options.  Can I be assured that bitcoind-0.3.24 would run on any of them?  Or should I just start installing them and trying them out?

Gentoo
Debian 5.0
Ubuntu
CentOS
Fedora
OpenSuse

try ubuntu, it 'should' work. but be careful when you install a different OS, you will wipe your data.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
CERN

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:50:38 AM

bitcoind's dependencies are very minimal

It should run on just about any proper Linux distribution, including all of the ones you mentioned

I didn't read this entire thread to know what the problem is, but I gather from bits and pieces that libgthread was missing in your current distribution?  Simply install glib (not glibc) to fix that

Whatever the case may be, use whatever is most comfortable for you and whatever you have the most experience using.  If there's ever a problem regarding missing libraries or dependencies, you can likely get an answer in a few minutes by visiting the distribution's forums and asking what package you need to install/how to install it/etc Smiley

Rest assured, the very few distributions that bitcoind won't run on are rare, and I have a lot of faith that you will never encounter them unless you begin doing some embedded design work on different architectures
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:06:09 AM

It should run on just about any proper Linux distribution, including all of the ones you mentioned
not the CentOs, it is likely to be very old-but-stable, and would therefor not work.
Gentoo it not recommended, it requires too much memory, becuase it build anything from source. more memory -> bigger price
Debian, we already tryed that one, it did not go well.
fedora or opensuse, i don't know they might work.

i recommend ubuntu, if its 10.04 LTS, or newer.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:39:34 AM

not the CentOs, it is likely to be very old-but-stable, and would therefor not work.
Gentoo it not recommended, it requires too much memory, becuase it build anything from source. more memory -> bigger price

Why don't you just use linuxcoin ? It's debian based and has the latest bitcoin software ?
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:48:30 AM

Why don't you just use linuxcoin ? It's debian based and has the latest bitcoin software ?
OMFG! it can't run in a vps, or at least it would require very much work to get it running.
the problem with vps is that it is running in some kind of chroot-jail, it not your own machine like a VM is.
its cheaper and a bit faster then a VM, but your control over it is more limited, than with a VM.

you can't just slide in a cd and install/run from it.

btw. your linuxcoin posts a beginning to be annoying, it can't be used for everything. and please read and understand the thread before posting

(yes im an @$$ again)

drgr33n

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:10:27 AM

OMFG! it can't run in a vps, or at least it would require very much work to get it running.
the problem with vps is that it is running in some kind of chroot-jail, it not your own machine like a VM is.
its cheaper and a bit faster then a VM, but your control over it is more limited, than with a VM.

you can't just slide in a cd and install/run from it.

btw. your linuxcoin posts a beginning to be annoying, it can't be used for everything. and please read and understand the thread before posting

(yes im an @$$ again)

OMFG kokjo you are certainly a cock !! Hence the name right ? Your not even the OP so why do you care so much lol Jumping on everyone like a little Jack Russel.

@ the OP sorry forgot I already read this use Ubuntu I'd say and

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:stretch/bitcoin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bitcoin
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:17:29 AM

OMFG kokjo you are certainly a cock !! Hence the name right ?
no its a mis-spelling of a danish chocolate milk drink called "Cocio" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocio

drgr33n

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:19:22 AM

OMFG kokjo you are certainly a cock !! Hence the name right ?
no its a mis-spelling of a danish chocolate milk drink called "Cocio" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocio

lol if its as bitter as you I bet it tastes like sh*% hahaha only joking Wink
CERN

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 12:10:09 PM

CentOS version 6.0 was announced and released on July 10th, 2011; I'd hardly call that old.  Wink  It runs a modern kernel version and very adequately supports every dependency of bitcoind.

Gentoo requires no more memory than any other operating system running an equivalent kernel and software payload, and any of their stage3 tarballs does indeed contain all the libraries that bitcoind depends on without any need for compilation or recompilation of anything existing or extra

Debian, likewise, should have no trouble running bitcoind -- what is your experience with it?  From a fresh installation, if bitcoind doesn't run right away, it should not take more than two minutes to diagnose and resolve the issue to get it working properly

I don't mean to sound rude, but if these aren't working for you, you're doing it wrong Wink
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 12:22:59 PM

CentOS version 6.0 was announced and released on July 10th, 2011; I'd hardly call that old.  Wink  It runs a modern kernel version and very adequately supports every dependency of bitcoin.
very often vps only support CentOS 5, sadly.

Gentoo requires no more memory than any other operating system running an equivalent kernel and software payload, and any of their stage3 tarballs does indeed contain all the libraries that bitcoin depends on without any need for compilation or recompilation of anything existing or extra
Code:
emerge --sync
emerge --update --deep world
uses much memory, and its needs to be runned some times, because of security upgrades.

Debian, likewise, should have no trouble running bitcoind -- what is your experience with it?  From a fresh installation, it is nothing that can't be solved within two minutes if bitcoind does actually not work
it seems that, OP has already tried debian. it did not work. its likely to be an old version like CentOS.

I don't mean to sound rude, but if these aren't working for you, you're doing it wrong Wink
oh. they work for me, on my own computers. but its not likely to work on a vps.
in my experiences ubuntu works best in a vps.

BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 02:27:01 PM

VPS Servers require CentOS 5, because it's still the only OS to run with Kloxo, which is the best option to run as replacement of a regular hosting; which is the primary use of a VPS; and the system flavor which requires less memory to run as whole.

Gentoo/Knoppix in a VPS, you need to be insane to try that one, since you can't touch the Kernel, what's the use? Blast your memory (and I don't know about your experiences with VPS's, but there's no swap nor any RAM virtualization, if you run out of physical memory the only thing to do is a VPS reboot as the system will hang) with builds?

uses much memory, and its needs to be runned some times, because of security upgrades.
In order to replace old bugs with new ones...  Grin

|

|
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:06:52 PM

CentOS version 6.0 was announced and released on July 10th, 2011; I'd hardly call that old.  Wink  It runs a modern kernel version and very adequately supports every dependency of bitcoind.

Gentoo requires no more memory than any other operating system running an equivalent kernel and software payload, and any of their stage3 tarballs does indeed contain all the libraries that bitcoind depends on without any need for compilation or recompilation of anything existing or extra

Debian, likewise, should have no trouble running bitcoind -- what is your experience with it?  From a fresh installation, if bitcoind doesn't run right away, it should not take more than two minutes to diagnose and resolve the issue to get it working properly

I'm sure my VPS provider has not yet updated their CentOS version to the latest.

I might give Gentoo a try...

Debian 5.0 was a disaster.  The only version of bitcoind that I could get to run was a modified version of 0.3.22, and I tried for like a week with the help of this forum to get it to work.  I've given up on that front.  You only need to read through this thread to see what happened with Debian.

And of course I was doing something wrong.  But no one here could help me to do it right, so obviously, it's not just my head that its over.

Believe me, I'd love to use linuxcoin, but the VPS doesn't allow me to install my own OS - only the ones that they have listed.

I'll try Ubuntu first though, thanks for the advice kokjo.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:12:00 PM

I might give Gentoo a try...
don't, gentoo uses a hell of a lot memory, becuase its compiling from source. it is not a good idea to run it in a vps.

my offer still stands, i can fix it for you. for 2 btc/hour. but it should not require more then 30-45 min.

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:18:10 PM

Ok, no Gentoo.

Thanks kokjo, and I appreciate the offer, but I think it's important for me to go through this so that I can learn what I am doing on linux to some extent.  I don't want to be dependent on others to fix anything that might go wrong.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:23:39 PM

Thanks kokjo, and I appreciate the offer, but I think it's important for me to go through this so that I can learn what I am doing on linux to some extent.  I don't want to be dependent on others to fix anything that might go wrong.
fair enough. Cheesy

new offer:
i can learn it to you over irc, if you like Smiley
maybe for a coin or two.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: