Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:29:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Android wallets for alt-coins  (Read 1088 times)
gudmunsn (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 07:41:04 PM

What is the general consensus about android wallets for alt-coins? do people think they are worth investing time/energy into creating? Would they actually be used? Or, are people worried about potential android bugs and wouldn't use a mobile wallet even if it were available?

Trying to prioritize features/services here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nerdcustoms

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 10:12:38 PM

I think there would definitely be a market for something like this.  You will always have some people that won't trust such things, but I think you would get a decent following as well.  There are more mobile devices than desktops currently in the world, and this gap is going to keep increasing as technology improves.

*Image Removed*
Reputation Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=202142
x^2

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

y=x^2 is a parabola

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 11:46:01 PM

What is the general consensus about android wallets for alt-coins? do people think they are worth investing time/energy into creating? Would they actually be used? Or, are people worried about potential android bugs and wouldn't use a mobile wallet even if it were available?

Trying to prioritize features/services here.

How do you make an android wallet?  I heard it's like Linux so will the Linux qts be compatible on droid?  I'm interested for an android wallet for the parabola project.

A parabola (plural parabolas or parabolae, adjective parabolic, from Greek: παραβoλή) is a two-dimensional, mirror-symmetrical curve.  y = x2
gudmunsn (OP)

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:13:59 AM

How do you make an android wallet?  I heard it's like Linux so will the Linux qts be compatible on droid?  I'm interested for an android wallet for the parabola project.
The thought is to find an android dev who is interested in building one if there is interest. That is yet to be decided though...

Stouse49

Activity: 209

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 06:45:23 AM

There are already two coin apps: Bitcoin and Litecoin.  Copy/Paste and Find/Replace is much harder on these Apps than it is on with the QT source, but it can be done.  That is probably why only a few alt coins have apps now.

BTC:
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 06:49:55 AM

it's my personal goal to develop an Android wallet for a coin (not sure which yet) when i'm done with my java developer course Smiley
samfisher

Activity: 60

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:07:57 AM

There are already two coin apps: Bitcoin and Litecoin.  Copy/Paste and Find/Replace is much harder on these Apps than it is on with the QT source, but it can be done.  That is probably why only a few alt coins have apps now.

Do not use the LTC one.

*Link Removed*
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 09:15:39 AM

Any new insights here ?

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
eddy937

Activity: 61

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:54:40 AM

I heard there are new viruses in some android apps that mine for coins using a smart phone then send them to the hacker who made the virus. Phones are not really powerful enough for mining so it damages them and drains the battery very quickly. Maybe this kind of thing puts people off using android wallets.
WompRat

Activity: 232

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:10:19 AM

I think an Android wallet is as essential as a light multibit style wallet.  I think having both of these things so quickly gave Dogecoin a real boost early on, but I agree that it has to be from a trusted source.  I love carrying around my dogecoins with me like I can carry my bitcoins in the hope that one day I will see a shop that accepts them, but as I browse a lot on my phone it is also a quick way to access them to send.  Never had any problems with the dogecoin wallet.

One thing I would love to see is more multi coin wallets. I am not sure of the practicalities, but a BTC, LTC and DOGE android wallet would be super cool.
ahmed_bodi

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:23:02 AM

if ur going to make one, grab the template that me and hash engineering use. i can guarantee it simplifies things a lot

Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 10:48:49 AM

if ur going to make one, grab the template that me and hash engineering use. i can guarantee it simplifies things a lot

Thank you Ahmed.

Would you be willing to code one for Hirocoin ? The reward for doing so is 2 BTC.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
ahmed_bodi

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:13:04 AM

what algo is hirocoin?

HashEngineering

Activity: 350

Independent Cryptoveloper

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 05:01:55 AM

what algo is hirocoin?

The hirocoin algo is X11. 

For the developers that want to design a X11 based Android Wallet.  Take a look at my Quark Wallet at:
http://github.com/HashEngineering/quarkcoinj
http://github.com/HashEngineering/quarkcoin-wallet

The various hash functions in Java are found here:
http://www.saphir2.com/sphlib/

For DarkCoin and any of its clones or "brothers," look at how Quark handles the block hash function (it has a Java and Native version).  The code from the second link has all the other hash functions that need to be added to X11.

However, do not fork my Quark wallet or java libraries for any of the X11 coins.  Quark is unique in that it has this :

Code:
static const int64 COIN = 100000;
instead of this:
Code:
static const int64 COIN = 100000000;

And that will cause a lot of problems, as much of the code for displaying coin values has been changed to handle this difference.  It would be better to import the Hash parts of the code to from Quark while using a different base library such as bitcoin or my digitalcoin.  First work on the Java version, then take the hashblock.h file and make the native version to speed up the sync process and save battery usage.

To my knowledge, I am the only one to fork the bitcoin app to use a different hash algorithm since the Litecoin Wallet dev did the scrypt version.  If I can do it, others can too.

GRS:  FrFpTbfEAni5Ruf8mNdwVQazJVJaQyEM2Y
BTC:  128Ptecsv4j6NoxdBxdvGzBtipfaAarZMJ
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336215 - Android Wallet Creation Service
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: