Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:37:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bots have stalled Bitcoin trading on MtGox @ $14.02  (Read 5475 times)
Oldminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 06:42:39 AM

1. Bots have stalled Bitcoin trading on MtGox @ $14.02

2. GOXED

3. I'm bored

4. 'Tux should B7 this shit

5. Discuss

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Oldminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 06:53:01 AM

Here's a fix for the current stalemate if anyones interested https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=6297.msg361755#new

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:07:40 AM

I thought stability was desired. Two days and you're already complaining?
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:13:20 AM

catch22, it looks like we are not ready for stability because there is no marketplaces developed yet. people want action =)

agree with the link in second post, want to run bots - pay for it
DamienBlack

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:15:41 AM

catch22, it looks like we are not ready for stability because there is no marketplaces developed yet. people want action =)

agree with OP, want to run bots - pay for it

I don't see the problem. If you think 14.02 is a low price, buy. If you think it is a high price, sell. Never mind the bots, the market will sort it all out.
Oldminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:18:18 AM

Nah fuck stability. Volatility separates the men from the boys.

DamienBlack

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:19:59 AM

LOL, I see now.
Serge
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:20:17 AM

agree with OP, want to run bots - pay for it

I don't see the problem. If you think 14.02 is a low price, buy. If you think it is a high price, sell. Never mind the bots, the market will sort it all out.

I'm quiet fine with whatever value BTC is.  re "the market will sort it all out" - aren't we the market?
DamienBlack

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:25:28 AM

I'm quiet fine with whatever value BTC is.  re "the market will sort it all out" - aren't we the market?

Collectively, yes. Which is my point. The price is $14 because many of us think it should be. If a lot more were willing to buy the prices would move up, bots be damned. Same with selling.

In any case, I don't think bots are completely to blame for the price stability. A big buy, or a big sell, could still move the market.
Serge
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:33:20 AM

Collectively, yes. Which is my point. The price is $14 because many of us think it should be. If a lot more were willing to buy the prices would move up, bots be damned. Same with selling.

In any case, I don't think bots are completely to blame for the price stability. A big buy, or a big sell, could still move the market.
You are right. Unless bots have deep pockets they won't matter much in large movements.
jed

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

Jed McCaleb

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 11:39:40 AM

Bots aren't making the market stable. You are just pointing to a random thing and saying that is the cause of the stability.
There have been bots almost from the time the exchange opened and it was rarely stable. Why do you think they are having a big effect all the sudden?

stellar.org   |    twitter
killer2021

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:48:32 AM

First people complain that bitcoin price is too unstable, jumping up and down out of control

now people complain that the bitcoin price is too stable.

It never ends.

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
1H6mqgB6UcqKt2SrCmhjxUp9np1Xrbkdj7
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 12:19:50 PM

First people complain that bitcoin price is too unstable, jumping up and down out of control

It never ends.

And then people complain about the complainers!

Cheesy

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
angelo95

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 12:31:25 PM

You guys have no idea how a bot works. Bots love volatility too because they can buy low sell high. There is nothing to do on a flat market, even for a bot. At this time there is about 300 to 400 BTC exchanged per hour on Mtgox. The volume is very low... The issue might be the 0% fee though. This actually flattens the market.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 12:45:47 PM

You are right. Unless bots have deep pockets they won't matter much in large movements.

Or, unless the bots belong to the same people, and it's the same BTC going back and forth. With zero fees, there's no penalty to pay, and no matter what the rest of the market might wish, it would keep coming back to around $14 almost instantly.
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 01:43:23 PM

Or, unless the bots belong to the same people, and it's the same BTC going back and forth. With zero fees, there's no penalty to pay, and no matter what the rest of the market might wish, it would keep coming back to around $14 almost instantly.

Keep buying at $14 and the price will eventually rise, since the bots will run out of bitcoins.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:11:48 PM

It never ends.

well come on, this is Oldminer we're talkin about.
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:18:59 PM

Yeah, the thing about that is the world contains both men and boys, and also women and girls, gender-indeterminate/unassigned people and the trans-gender community. Nonetheless they can all find utility in bitcoin. Hopefully stability helps that.

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
dinzy

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:30:10 PM

But to make any money that way they need volume.  The 24 hour volume has been ~ 20k or less each day, not all going to these imaginary bots.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 05:40:15 PM

I have a simple solution to increase trading volume. Put some USD in the exchange and buy some BTC. Cheesy

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: