Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:12:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP Jalapeno USB connector fell off  (Read 2243 times)
MoneyMorpheus

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 05:31:05 PM

Can you take a better close up picture with good light and without flash? If there are tracks left you could easily scratch some of the insulation, and rework it with flux. That job was done by caveman though...

is it a 5 or a 7 ghs jalapeño?

If you are going to auction it I would start with a more humble price and see where it goes, like 1 btc, at a reasonable price I might be interested.

Best altcoin exchange: https://vircurex.com/welcome/index?referral_id=241-35101
https://bter.com/signup/121418 | You may run into issues some time, but support will take care of you threw qq in chinese hours
1EGoA5LMV391Psf8ZHShTkTd3tQ6URKQEp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tk1337

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 06:47:04 PM

Can you take a better close up picture with good light and without flash? If there are tracks left you could easily scratch some of the insulation, and rework it with flux. That job was done by caveman though...

is it a 5 or a 7 ghs jalapeño?

If you are going to auction it I would start with a more humble price and see where it goes, like 1 btc, at a reasonable price I might be interested.

Exactly, if you were going to auction it, I'd say starting at 1BTC would be smarter, since it is damaged & it is going to take some work. As like I said earlier, they're going for 2.5BTC-4BTC randomly, especially now that people seem to be receiving them somewhat. Heck, there was a local on craigslist that sold one for $200 (with nothing wrong with it and damn it, I wish I had seen that sooner, I was a day late). So, used, broken but possibly fixable, I wouldn't ask near the going rate, even though that's the low side of the going rate. (That's my opinion and what I would do if i couldn't fix it and in your situation.)
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 02:01:58 AM

http://imgur.com/JRrscF3

Yeah I said $500 when I thought it was more fixable. I'll auction it really low soon and let everyone know.

gbx

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 02:43:40 AM

Had this happen to a Lorex baby monitor of mine.

I was able to fix it with a temp controlled soldering iron and a pencil thin tip. 

Ultimately, it will break again if you ever want to use it.  It's a weak point in the design...
chanberg

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 03:43:27 AM

Did you refund the buyer back fully? I mean its kinda the shipping fault, but also the buyers fault too...
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 03:52:28 AM

Yeah he bought two. I refunded one fully. It was insured but I doubt usps will approve it. I can't show shipping broke it.

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 04:05:17 AM

Just took a look at the pics. That repair is going to be fun. My guess is the repair person used a big soldering iron at way too high a temp, the pad just fell off. Probably easier to do a bypass wiring at this point.

Ah well. Do-able with air tools, but not simple. I've repaired blown up IGBT drivers that did things like that, at least there are no shorts inside the board :-)

And as a side note: I took apart my Jally this evening for the daily flashing of the code (can't help it, tweak tweak) and noticed that with the board on the floor and a USB cable plugged in that any pressure on the board would cause a serious amount of torque on the USB plug. So I put my board sideways so it would not break.

I could see that happening by accident. Pretty easily. So if you're tweaking, be careful of that connector outside the box; it has limited support.

C
tk1337

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 01:08:52 PM

http://imgur.com/JRrscF3

Yeah I said $500 when I thought it was more fixable. I'll auction it really low soon and let everyone know.

I'll be honest, I would probably bid on it... I've got some creative ways of fixing things like this (as I've done in the past), but it's still a pretty decent crapshoot imo, putting that in perspective, I'm not sure how far I would go on bidding on it.
Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 01:51:52 PM

Good Lord! I've resoldered one of these sockets on a dash camera with a 60w unregulated braising soldering iron and done a better job than that! The dashcam also worked afterwards too. I'd get either a short socket on a cable and solder the lines direct to the traces or FTDI chip, or remount the socket to the PCB with glue then run some fine enameled wire to either the traces on the board or the FTDI chip...

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 01:55:41 PM

I'll be honest, I would probably bid on it... I've got some creative ways of fixing things like this (as I've done in the past), but it's still a pretty decent crapshoot imo, putting that in perspective, I'm not sure how far I would go on bidding on it.
Likewise, if for nothing else I can float off the BGAs and put them on my Jally. However like everything else in the bitcoin world, it's a matter of calculations:

Estimated chance of repair * value of unit in mining bitcoins=max price you should pay.

Given that difficulty is screaming up, time to repair needs to be factored in as well as these things are losing their ability to make value by the second. Then again that is reflected in "value of unit" :-)

And of course add in the "entertainment factor" for being able to play with one. But the emotional factor of "oooh I have a jally!" would be zero for me since I have one, so it will probably go to someone who wants a jally at any cost less than what you can get it for on Ebay.

I went through the same mental math with a block erupter on Tuesday. I'm going to strap it to my house's water pipe inlet and use it to pre-heat water, so it has a practical value (hah). :-)

C
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 02:58:27 PM

Looks like the pads are totally gone.

Ask BFL for the other points on the board that are tied to the same nets as the USB pins.  Then, have someone that knows what they are doing solder small wires to those points, and then to a socket.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 03:39:01 PM

My Foxconn mini-PCs use a short pigtail and then a bulkhead connector on its own bracket for the external wifi antenna in order to avoid exactly this problem.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
tk1337

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 04:32:48 PM

Likewise, if for nothing else I can float off the BGAs and put them on my Jally. However like everything else in the bitcoin world, it's a matter of calculations:

Estimated chance of repair * value of unit in mining bitcoins=max price you should pay.

Given that difficulty is screaming up, time to repair needs to be factored in as well as these things are losing their ability to make value by the second. Then again that is reflected in "value of unit" :-)

And of course add in the "entertainment factor" for being able to play with one. But the emotional factor of "oooh I have a jally!" would be zero for me since I have one, so it will probably go to someone who wants a jally at any cost less than what you can get it for on Ebay.

I went through the same mental math with a block erupter on Tuesday. I'm going to strap it to my house's water pipe inlet and use it to pre-heat water, so it has a practical value (hah). :-)

C

pretty much yea, I don't have one, so it would give me a reason to fix it and I do have some creative ideas on this one... I've repaired a lot of issues like this, but I've had some new things I've been wanting to try
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 07:32:53 PM

I'll give ya US$50.00 for it. Shocked
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 10:43:45 PM

AUCTION
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=309934.0

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:48:59 AM

Glad to see it's going to auction. Did you try anything else on it before giving it up for a new home?

C
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 03:28:58 AM

Nope tried insurance but no luck.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: