Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:18:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you buy such gift cards?
No. The idea suck. - 0 (0%)
No, but the idea is great. - 1 (16.7%)
Maybe, depends on design/price - 2 (33.3%)
Yes, but only a few (3~4 per year) - 1 (16.7%)
Yes, will buy them regularly. - 2 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there interest for bitcoin gift cards?  (Read 473 times)
Severos (OP)

Activity: 268
Merit: 119

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 07:59:27 PM

Good idea!
But the whole market is bearing now and the volatility is too high!
It's too hard to control you risk!
And the regulation from the govs is more strict and strict,that makes
it more difficult to make profit!
Anyway,just do it!

We're working out something for the market volatility as it's one of the main concerns since day 1.
As for the govs, currently we don't have laws about it where I live, and I'm staying on low profile. The only concern would be on the consumer side if he's paying with PP/Credit or whatever other system as they might get aggressive sometimes.

When this project launch? I think many users will be interested with this gift card, i think much better if that gift card would be available for multiple coin Since many users are love to spend other coin like ethereum.

Yeah, it is a good idea to make bitcoin gift cards. If you want to do it then it is good opportunity for you, and now people are buying and selling different things from bitcoin then why not you can do it. I always courage you and now in this forum wise, you can do publicity of your bitcoin gift cards.
Correct, i think many bitcoin users will be interested with this kind of idea, you should need to list all the stores accepting bitcoin right now all over the world to used your card spending with that store like here in our country most of the stores accepting bitcoin is cafe and lodge.

Can you share here the designs of the gift cards.
Agree with this, it will helps to all gift card users where they spend that card and also we can used crypto currency in offline and online transaction.

I'm discussing it with few people to get things started, but we don't have a launch date ready yet, soon as we have one I'll make sure to announce it.
It's a bit hard to start with multiple coins at the same time, and pretty risky, so once we get things rolling on bitcoin, implementing other cryptos will be easy and smooth.

I'm not sure what you expect on offline transaction, so would you mind explaining it more?

The idea is good. I'll just add a little more info here ,more for bitcoin notes, not cards but still informative>
Here is some similar idea > http://www.bitnotes.org/
There are already a banknotes with chip on in. Here is the article > https://hackernoon.com/these-smart-banknotes-could-bring-crypto-to-the-masses-4be57bcca1c7
NOTE: The links are just for information, I do not promote anything!

Thanks for the interesting links, it's always good to see what others have reached.

New question for you guys:
*What special occasions would you like to have the cards for? I'm not that cheerful person who remembers all occasions, the ones I have in mind right now are birthdays, x-mas and new year, not sure if you'd give bitcoin in valentine (there are more suitable coins for that Wink Wink)
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 3442

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 11:41:55 AM

So you'll be buying like 5~10 cards a year? if you'd estimate, how many other users in your area will do the same?
Yes, 5 - 10 in a year. I guess less than 5 other users, since BTCitcoin isn't that known here.

How would you define small amount ? anything less than 10$? 20$? 50$? 100$? or???
This is something that differs from country to country but based on where I am, anything less than $50 should fall on that category.

I think it's possible to implement both solutions. Also, how would you define a well-known or verified people? I can put up my linkedIn, and contact info if necessary, but since I'm just your everyday Joe, there won't be any person who knows my name.
Further steps beyond those would be needed so someone can verify if you or your company are real or not. A company address that others would be able to verify, can be a good start as well.

Would you consider placing it in your iphone cover maybe Grin it'll be a bit hard to put everything in small size card and leave a space for the design, will have to manage to do it somehow.
Not sure how much what I'm about to say adds to the cost but maybe have it as two to three page cards (like how brochures are, just in smaller sizes).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Severos (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:13:59 PM

So you'll be buying like 5~10 cards a year? if you'd estimate, how many other users in your area will do the same?
Yes, 5 - 10 in a year. I guess less than 5 other users, since BTCitcoin isn't that known here.

How would you define small amount ? anything less than 10$? 20$? 50$? 100$? or???
This is something that differs from country to country but based on where I am, anything less than $50 should fall on that category.

I think it's possible to implement both solutions. Also, how would you define a well-known or verified people? I can put up my linkedIn, and contact info if necessary, but since I'm just your everyday Joe, there won't be any person who knows my name.
Further steps beyond those would be needed so someone can verify if you or your company are real or not. A company address that others would be able to verify, can be a good start as well.

Would you consider placing it in your iphone cover maybe Grin it'll be a bit hard to put everything in small size card and leave a space for the design, will have to manage to do it somehow.
Not sure how much what I'm about to say adds to the cost but maybe have it as two to three page cards (like how brochures are, just in smaller sizes).

For the beta phase, I don't think there's enough time for company registration (things here take ages), but I'll see what I can do.
And your suggestion just gave me an idea, I'll see what I can do for it.
BillCoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 259

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:50:04 PM

I think it could be really cool as a gift.
People are searching for goods/gifts for their crypto lovers friends, and sometimes they find them-self buying a worthless shirt( that usually their friends won't wear because they don't want people to ask them a lot of questions)/ paper wallet that you can't really verify that is cold wallet and the one who printed it doesn't really saved the private key.
A bitcoin gift card could also be nice for people who heard and wanted to buy bitcoins, but never found the time for that.

BettingTips

Activity: 238
Merit: 102

OPEN GAMING PLATFORM

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 11:37:27 PM

If you want to develop a cryptos gift card, then it must be online gift card instead of offline. At present, everyone uses the voucher or gift card through online, not the offline form of leaflets as before. And if you make a gift card for cryptos, it's an e-wallet as nature, and I do not think it will be easy for the developers to develop this product.

binting

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 12:30:45 AM

If I make a start up company for bitcoin gift cards, do you guys think there is enough interest for it?

I have a friend working on a nice design for the card, probably will include multiple designs to fit all customer's occasions (x-mas, birthday, daily gift, promo event, etc.), and I'm working on the technical part to make it require absolutely no trust between us (the company) and the buyers. It should be a nice way to give a gift to your family and friend, regardless if they're still getting into crypto, or already are working with it.

I do have some nice use cases that I can use for marketing later, but I'm a bit concerned about the start point.

Therefore, I'm asking you all guys, if there is such a thing (for BTC or whatever other crypto currency), would you guys be interested in buying/using it? and why?

Thanks in advance for you all.

--Edit:
Here are some questions that we'd like you to answer in order to help us better shape the service:
1- Do you prefer a preset amount for each card? or would you like to charge it up to your liking?
2- Would you prefer a complete online order (even if it costs you slight privacy? specially when paying non-crypto like PP) or would you prefer to complete the deal at a shop with cash in hand and no personal info required?
3- If you answered 2 with completing at a shop, would you consider being a local distributor? why? and what would you expect in return?
4- Would you plan on buying larger quantities? continuous supply? or you just buy couple cards on special occasions and forget the service for the rest of the year? as this can affect the way to get local distributor.
5- Would you trust me/us/company to have the private keys in order to make things a bit easier at your end? or would you prefer spending extra couple minutes at your end to complete the deal without me/us/company having any way of touching the money in the card? note that this choice will affect the ability to recover the funds in case the card is lost, at the expense of storing some of your personal info, so this isn't for everyone.
6- Do you have expected shape/size/dimensions for the card? it might end up a bit larger than normal cards, but will make sure the space is well used.
7- What special occasions would you like to have the cards for? I'm not that cheerful person who remembers all occasions, the ones I have in mind right now are birthdays, x-mas and new year, not sure if you'd give bitcoin in valentine (there are more suitable coins for that Wink Wink)
Well more of memevers in bitcoin some are recieving bitcoin gift, i think more ,embers are interst of this bitcoin gift because i think its a good from us and its very nice to all of us by joining bitcoin so if i recieve the gift of bitcoin i dont know what is this but i think its nice and good
ricardobs

Activity: 1204
Merit: 505

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 12:05:34 PM

I am not sure whether I would ever use it for not, but though its a good idea.
I don’t really know if there are a lot of people that are interested in buying gift cards in this forum. Even if I wanted to buy a gift card, it would be Amazon gift cards and not in large quantities, but just for the amount of things I planned to buy with it. I’m not the type that will buy gift cards and store them, please I don’t sell cards. One thing about people in this forum– even if you say you’re selling caterpillars for Bitcoin, they will all say they are interested, but when you start, they might just call you scam. Unless the best thing you will do is to promote the business on social medias.
BlockTechnology

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 12:44:44 PM

This is an interesting idea, I think that in 2019 similar ideas will already be implemented. This is quite convenient, you can give a person a bitcoin-check, and he will used it, when he wants
player514
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:29:41 PM

If I make a start up company for bitcoin gift cards, do you guys think there is enough interest for it?

I have a friend working on a nice design for the card, probably will include multiple designs to fit all customer's occasions (x-mas, birthday, daily gift, promo event, etc.), and I'm working on the technical part to make it require absolutely no trust between us (the company) and the buyers. It should be a nice way to give a gift to your family and friend, regardless if they're still getting into crypto, or already are working with it.

I do have some nice use cases that I can use for marketing later, but I'm a bit concerned about the start point.

Therefore, I'm asking you all guys, if there is such a thing (for BTC or whatever other crypto currency), would you guys be interested in buying/using it? and why?

--Edit:
Here are some questions that we'd like you to answer in order to help us better shape the service:
1- Do you prefer a preset amount for each card? or would you like to charge it up to your liking?
2- Would you prefer a complete online order (even if it costs you slight privacy? specially when paying non-crypto like PP) or would you prefer to complete the deal at a shop with cash in hand and no personal info required?
3- If you answered 2 with completing at a shop, would you consider being a local distributor? why? and what would you expect in return?
4- Would you plan on buying larger quantities? continuous supply? or you just buy couple cards on special occasions and forget the service for the rest of the year? as this can affect the way to get local distributor.
5- Would you trust me/us/company to have the private keys in order to make things a bit easier at your end? or would you prefer spending extra couple minutes at your end to complete the deal without me/us/company having any way of touching the money in the card? note that this choice will affect the ability to recover the funds in case the card is lost, at the expense of storing some of your personal info, so this isn't for everyone.
6- Do you have expected shape/size/dimensions for the card? it might end up a bit larger than normal cards, but will make sure the space is well used.
7- What special occasions would you like to have the cards for? I'm not that cheerful person who remembers all occasions, the ones I have in mind right now are birthdays, x-mas and new year, not sure if you'd give bitcoin in valentine (there are more suitable coins for that Wink Wink)

What does this bring in terms of new functionality? Can't people just gift paper wallets on a nice card to another bitcoin enthusiast? I'm not discrediting your idea, but I think it's the major competitor you'll have if you go down this route. I don't think the idea is bad at all.

1) Definitely charge it up to liking.
2) If it's a gift to another crypto user, I'm sure that anonymity would be very useful. I think there can be a better way to keep anonymity rather than a shop, but I'm not too sure. Maybe some from of ATM type machine?
3) N/A
4) I'm sure I would much rather do special occasions, like the birthday of a tech enthusiast maybe.
5) That's where it gets a little icky. I think a lot of crypto users would be split on this point. Most people who use bitcoin avidly would want anonymity, that's for sure. For others, I don't think they would care much.
6) Normal gift card size / ID card size. You could do a couple of cooler designed cards like the bitcoin logo (BTC)
7) Probably birthdays and national holidays as you said. Maybe if I need to pay for something with complete anonymity.

This area is up for grabs! PM me if you're interested.
just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:35:00 PM

--Edit:
I think almost everything connected to cryptos has a chance to become popular. I like the idea, I would purchase some gift cards, because as for me there couldn't be better gift, than Bitcoin.
1) I think it's alright if they'd be charged, if there is a big variety of amounts.
2) Purchasing BTC gift card in shop would be super cool, because personally I would slightly trust online crypto shop. But then you need to figure something to make it worldwide.
3) Yes, because I like this idea and I would do anything to make cryptocurrencies more popular. Some percentage of a bargain, or fixed payment per week/month.
4) I would buy couple cards and see how it goes, and if it's on demand - then bigger quantities.
5) No, even though there's a risk, I wouldn't give my private key to anyone.
6) Any credit or gift card size would be ok, a bit larger size is not an issue though.
7) Birthdays, New Year, x-mas, Women's Day, wedding gift, work corporate party gift, it actually can be used on any occasions, if not as a main gift, then at least as an icing on the cake.
Good luck with your project!
Severos (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

If you want to develop a cryptos gift card, then it must be online gift card instead of offline. At present, everyone uses the voucher or gift card through online, not the offline form of leaflets as before. And if you make a gift card for cryptos, it's an e-wallet as nature, and I do not think it will be easy for the developers to develop this product.

Both online and offline versions will be available.

This is an interesting idea, I think that in 2019 similar ideas will already be implemented. This is quite convenient, you can give a person a bitcoin-check, and he will used it, when he wants

Bitcoin-check... now that would be a funny thing to have, I mean writing a check and handing it to someone is like signing a transaction without broadcasting it to the network. But it certainly shouldn't work as todays checks since it means we're going back to centralized system.

What does this bring in terms of new functionality? Can't people just gift paper wallets on a nice card to another bitcoin enthusiast? I'm not discrediting your idea, but I think it's the major competitor you'll have if you go down this route. I don't think the idea is bad at all.

1) Definitely charge it up to liking.
2) If it's a gift to another crypto user, I'm sure that anonymity would be very useful. I think there can be a better way to keep anonymity rather than a shop, but I'm not too sure. Maybe some from of ATM type machine?
3) N/A
4) I'm sure I would much rather do special occasions, like the birthday of a tech enthusiast maybe.
5) That's where it gets a little icky. I think a lot of crypto users would be split on this point. Most people who use bitcoin avidly would want anonymity, that's for sure. For others, I don't think they would care much.
6) Normal gift card size / ID card size. You could do a couple of cooler designed cards like the bitcoin logo (BTC)
7) Probably birthdays and national holidays as you said. Maybe if I need to pay for something with complete anonymity.

For now, I don't bring new functionality, I just save you the time, effort and money of making a nice design, exchanging BTC and printing it out neatly.
Answer 2: if you're paying in USD then it's a bit hard to stay anonymous online, that's why I suggested a shop, but if you're paying in crypto then it's easier to place the order.
Answer 5: I'm providing both options for both your every day Joe, and the advanced user

I think almost everything connected to cryptos has a chance to become popular. I like the idea, I would purchase some gift cards, because as for me there couldn't be better gift, than Bitcoin.
1) I think it's alright if they'd be charged, if there is a big variety of amounts.
2) Purchasing BTC gift card in shop would be super cool, because personally I would slightly trust online crypto shop. But then you need to figure something to make it worldwide.
3) Yes, because I like this idea and I would do anything to make cryptocurrencies more popular. Some percentage of a bargain, or fixed payment per week/month.
4) I would buy couple cards and see how it goes, and if it's on demand - then bigger quantities.
5) No, even though there's a risk, I wouldn't give my private key to anyone.
6) Any credit or gift card size would be ok, a bit larger size is not an issue though.
7) Birthdays, New Year, x-mas, Women's Day, wedding gift, work corporate party gift, it actually can be used on any occasions, if not as a main gift, then at least as an icing on the cake.
Good luck with your project!

Thanks for your answers, just want to let you note regarding answer 5, what I mean is to trust us with the keys required to get the card money not your personal keys.
ASHLIUSZ

Activity: 994
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:23:46 PM

Just create a polling section whether people are interested to go for a crypto gift card or not. This will let you understand the necessity of the users. Later upon the results obtained move forward with the plan or plan something else which is more effective for the growing community. I feel gift cards to be an old thing which needs to be replaced with something really impressive, easy to use and interesting.
Severos (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 08:36:30 AM

Just create a polling section whether people are interested to go for a crypto gift card or not. This will let you understand the necessity of the users. Later upon the results obtained move forward with the plan or plan something else which is more effective for the growing community. I feel gift cards to be an old thing which needs to be replaced with something really impressive, easy to use and interesting.

I've tried adding a poll, but can't seem to do it :/

It may turn out to be a good project at the long run but their is a high probability of people to only purchase the cards only at festival periods, don't you intend selling on normal days? On the issue of private keys; Nobody will be quite confident to trust anyone to give out a thing like that, even if you mean well for them. And for selling offline, well this might work for those who may not trust you for offline purchase but know that this will limit your business and also most bitcoin owners or holders prefer been anonymous coupled with the recent news on bitcoin stealing at gunpoint.

I wouldn't mind making it a seasonal project, but ideally I'd like it to be running all time, that's why I've thought of birthday design.
As for the anonymity part, I'm working on it all the time, I've nearly nailed it but it will add some extra steps in the process. Both online and offline payments would be implemented (just not at start) along with multiple payment options.
Robin_Good

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 11:05:58 AM

It is an interesting and funny idea. I would love to have such a gift card for my birthday or to give it to my friends Smiley

Kiweikoo

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 07:52:10 AM

Yep, setting up a poll in the forum will be the best way to get people’s opinion and know exactly what the people want. Those that don’t see what they need can then comment exactly what kind of service they prefer. By the way, I have a question.

I thought that gift cards are being given by Amazon or similar sites like eBay? So this gift card that is being talked about, will it allow people to purchase on Amazon and other online shops, including offline?
zhangxie29152784

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 08:24:26 AM

Yes, I think it would be a very good idea.

It's a great opportunity for you, and now people are buying and selling different things from bitcoin.
Severos (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 05:37:04 PM

I thought that gift cards are being given by Amazon or similar sites like eBay? So this gift card that is being talked about, will it allow people to purchase on Amazon and other online shops, including offline?

This gift card stores the value in bitcoin, you can use them after that to buy things at any place that accepts bitcoin.

You have a nice point there. My point here (according to my current vision) is that I'm giving you a nice design to present it (and some other marketing stuff I'm working on), so instead of asking them for their address (then they'll know what you're up to), or creating an address and giving it to them (then they'll have to immediately move the funds) you buy a nice card with nice design and the value you wish, and give it to them with a smile on the face.

A presentable gift card will be really great like in marketing strategy, you will get the attention of the consumers. People will get more curious about what are these cards all about. As what I've said previously in my reply, disposable and temporary wallet as it is. In fact that when these gift cards you're gonna sell will boom out, then you could prove a stable business right there, my friend. However there will always be a threat when you succeed in this type of business, it is the price. Somehow I don't see it as a major threat instead I still see it as more of a great way to save Bitcoin from such crashes. Why?

*As what I've said, you're marketing 2 things: Bitcoin and your business. It is both beneficial. There will be investors in the market same goes for that money to your profit. I'm talking about large factors affected in here. A serious business with Bitcoin could impact the whole economy.

*Since it is a business, you can't expect to monopolize it, people will start up their business the same as yours and you will compete. It is to be expected and it contributes to the economy because people will recognize Bitcoin and the whole crypto currency. Through competition, it generates attention due to media and the technology advancement of your country (might vary sometimes).

*You're not just saving one coin from such crashes. Since Bitcoin is like the mother of the cryptos, people will tend to explore more in the crypto. There will be various investors in various coins.

This is a bit of too much large point because I'm talking about the economy right here, but I'm pointing out the things that will be greatly affected once these simple gift/prepaid cards starts to be implemented that will turn the economy up. This is a green light for me, I could somehow regulate the financial system of a country.

I've never really thought such small project could have such impact.
neoband

Activity: 17

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2018, 02:06:11 PM

Many shops sell giftcards which are of course empty until the retail adds the amount to the card (activates it) . I think it makes sense for the retailer to activate the card and add the balance requested from the till. The card would be available in a similar way to most cards i.e. 0.01 BTC (or LTC) 0.02, 0.0.5, 0.1 , not so sure for anything bigger from a gift card perspective. To provide a selection of coins would be great BTC, LTC, Ripple and perhaps a privacy coin in there too . I think this would make great birthday and wedding gifts.
MIDCAZY1987

Activity: 58

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 05:46:10 PM

The idea, but its essence is still a coin:)
mersal

Activity: 1204
Merit: 38

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 06:27:43 PM

The idea, but its essence is still a coin:)

Yeah new idea is always welcome. We need to do something for the to reach more people you aren't that kind of things but could a situation the competition is very tough we need to make alternative things for doing something better than others so it is one of the kind I always will come.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: