Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:51:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pay to get rid of ads?  (Read 218 times)
bubbagump (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 05:32:57 AM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

Is there a way to get rid of all of the advertising?  I'm using an adblocker to filter out all of the eyesores but I'd rather pay a one time fee to permanently block it all out instead of having to add new filters every time a new banner gets added.  I know that the website needs funds and I guess people are being paid to advertise with their accounts as well but I'd rather just pay to not see any of it.  There's enough crap to wade through as it is from the shitposts themselves and the thousand page threads.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MadZ

Activity: 908
Merit: 657

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 05:39:14 AM

Is there a way to get rid of all of the advertising?  I'm using an adblocker to filter out all of the eyesores but I'd rather pay a one time fee to permanently block it all out instead of having to add new filters every time a new banner gets added.  I know that the website needs funds and I guess people are being paid to advertise with their accounts as well but I'd rather just pay to not see any of it.  There's enough crap to wade through as it is from the shitposts themselves and the thousand page threads.

Are you referring to paid signature advertisements or the forum placed ad in each thread? You can disable signatures in user settings, which will pretty much eliminate most advertising. As for forum ads, hero members have the option to disable those, although they really aren't that intrusive to begin with.
tomleung1996

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 06:12:14 AM

They will love to see people paying fee to disable ads, I think. But instead of a one time fee, monthly or yearly is more realistic. At least Bitcointalk doesn't have a anti-adblock plugin XD
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 06:16:01 AM
Merited by Vod (2)

I believe its hero members and higher already have the option to disable ads in the Forum Profile Information section of their profiles.

bubbagump (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 06:31:32 AM

Are you referring to paid signature advertisements or the forum placed ad in each thread? You can disable signatures in user settings, which will pretty much eliminate most advertising. As for forum ads, hero members have the option to disable those, although they really aren't that intrusive to begin with.

Yeah, I meant both.  I literally just looked through the settings and didn't see the signature one in there but I see it now that you pointed it out.  Thank you.
magpie_lover

Activity: 182
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 07:37:57 AM

if a solution is to be implemented in the future, I suppose it can't be a one time fee, a subscription model would be more realistic in my opinion.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 12:27:54 PM

I started a thread suggesting that merits could be used in a BitcoinTalk shop, but there was no interest, so I closed the thread. If this were enabled, members could purchase smaller and less intrusive button images to promoter sponsors. Disabling banners or othe functions could be other items that could be purchased.

As  Hero member, merits don't have a great deal of value for me, except as a means of helping me to direct my posting in directions encouraged by other members. The other use is to award sMerit of course, but I am still finding it difficult to discover new posts that I want to award with points. Making them exchangeable in a forum shop would increase their usefulness.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Lasvista

Activity: 396
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 04:21:06 PM

There is or should I say there's some adblocker but always be aware on what you gonna download because some are using it for what so called the spyware or spam ad , virus to be specific so I just wanted to share and suggest to be more wise and aware thats all.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 06:56:33 PM

You can disable ads if you are a donator (cost - 10BTC), or a VIP (cost - 50 BTC). Otherwise you need to wait until you are a hero member, as Salty mentioned.

Perhaps this would not be a bad thing if an additional feature was added to Copper Membership that allows users to disable forum ads, I would think the cost of the membership would likely outweigh the value of the lost revenue from having one less person viewing forum ads.
Andruha1993

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 04:51:46 PM

I'm already used to all the ads and just do not pay attention to them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: