Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:39:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you feel it's necessary to force new members to post in the Newbie Forum before posting anywhere else (including the tech/support forum!)?
Yes - 40 (66.7%)
No - 15 (25%)
I'm too n00b to answer... - 5 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: is Newbie Forum necessary?  (Read 1201 times)
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 08:50:19 PM

Well, yes it is necessary but the restrictions are too high. I have to wait till my activity is 16 to get over this 360second limit, even though I'm pretty much informed about BTC.
I'm involved in a lot of coins, but since I didn't create an account here in time now I have to go through this.

It doesn't matter how experienced you are. It doesn't matter if you didn't make a account before now. It's too reduce spammers. If you want to get whitelisted you will have to comment in the whitelist thread stating so. A staff member will whitelist you if they think it's a good idea.
Well nothing matters here. I'm not a spammer and I've been here before(registered recently again).
Can you link me that thread?

Yeah, no problem.

Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15911.0
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MadsTrundte

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:54:24 AM

I think it is fine. Even though i would like to become a full member. Just be patient Smiley
Gorgoy

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:12:02 AM

Long ago there was a magical time where there was no Newbie section, and no user limitations for new members. No one needed X Posts and X time logged to post elsewhere, and all was wonderful. Except the literal thousands and thousands of spam bots and advertisers who would make 10,000 accounts and 100,000 posts in 10 minutes and advertise paypal and such all over the place, where it was hard to track and repair.

After that, the newbie system was added, so that before someone or some bot could cause havok to the rest of the boards, they would have to post in the newbie section, where the Newbie section moderators are ever vigilant looking for the likes of them. It is unpleasant for like 4 hours until you have full rights, and then after that the newbie restrictions are gone, and you are free to enjoy a less spammy forum.

I understand and accept the need for a newbie post forum. It is a good way of controlling the huge amount of post that just do not add anything of value to the community and just take up space. At least if you make people wait a while and come back, you think they might have some time to reflect on the community and want to actively participate. Well, at least we can all hope that is the case.

Thanks

Ɏ : YEojPD2QxFVaSUypTLYhwJgmVekqoAtdE3
฿ : 1946hwLbBdLNSA1FFUY3ZvRx6j6dqvbzcE
Ł : LczTrStBZ8b1Y4DJU59CjtYRtjKufbTXPE
Ғ : 6i4S4BfHfC9LLmTBhjYDVKe7g8XfPz9uj8
Ψ : AGpoWwc6N59PPqKbzRTAiFG5WmDEQU7Ydp
ζ : ZLYFK2KNrFDDGVbEJPKnTdWuGk3iA3CNY2
G : GQbjHcGPgUwRBKZcdoMCpuf24QSXY5t5bf
Kyle91

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:10:07 AM

If there was no Newbie forum, there would be a huge amount of spammers and scammers. So yes, it is entirely necessary.
MadsTrundte

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:35:56 AM

If there was no Newbie forum, there would be a huge amount of spammers and scammers. So yes, it is entirely necessary.

I agree, good point
brodude

Activity: 38

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:02:06 PM

It's probably ok as it is now... i'll just have to wait i guess  Huh
Moogle

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 10:38:13 PM

i've seen other forums run a similar way like this. personally i'd rather see more efford gone into stopping scammers on here. things like being able to openly buy and sell accounts on here still amazes me Cry

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:48:40 PM

i've seen other forums run a similar way like this. personally i'd rather see more efford gone into stopping scammers on here. things like being able to openly buy and sell accounts on here still amazes me Cry

If you go to the members tab, you will find that there are 145,235 members registered on BTCTalk right now. With that amount of accounts, it is very difficult for the 38 forum staff members to catch alt accounts and scammers. So rather than give people a false sense of security by saying, "No alt accounts or scammers are allowed here" we make it openly known that alt accounts and account selling is present, so people can use due vigilance to avoid scams.

If we told people that they were safe here, and one, or one thousand of those 145,235 members got around whatever protection methods we put up, people would be off guard, and there would be far more scams, than if we told people to just watch out for scammers.
DyslexicZombei

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:02:54 AM

I voted yes. We need some sort of way to reduce spammers & scammers.

Most scammers don't have the patience to go through newbie jail, IMO.
sam_yeah

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:25:40 AM

LOL, if there's no Newbie Forum, where can newbies post?
Moogle

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 12:39:05 AM

If you go to the members tab, you will find that there are 145,235 members registered on BTCTalk right now. With that amount of accounts, it is very difficult for the 38 forum staff members to catch alt accounts and scammers. So rather than give people a false sense of security by saying, "No alt accounts or scammers are allowed here" we make it openly known that alt accounts and account selling is present, so people can use due vigilance to avoid scams.

If we told people that they were safe here, and one, or one thousand of those 145,235 members got around whatever protection methods we put up, people would be off guard, and there would be far more scams, than if we told people to just watch out for scammers.

If you feel understaffed then take on more moderators. If you see people openly selling accounts then ban them. At least it'll make it that bit harder to do it. I'm not saying to tell everyone its safe and There would not be far more scams if more afford was made into stopping them. Its just crazy how easy it is to do and how little it seems the mods care about it happening.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: