Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:23:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin investments & leverage  (Read 1345 times)
Gordonium (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 06:28:23 PM

Have any of you taken loans to invest even more into Bitcoins? Or what are your thoughts about leveraging with Bitcoin in general.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 06:34:49 PM

The most stupid thing one can do ever.
Gordonium (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 06:46:47 PM

Said everyone when the price was $10/BTC...

And I don't understand why everyone kind of associate leverage with something like using you home as a collateral and going all-in. I mean if you for example you use leverage that is 5-10% of your investment portfolio, how could that be so bad thing? I actually think that it might be the smartest thing to do in some cases if you have access to low interests loans.
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 07:08:09 PM

I've entered a leveraged long position for BTC just a couple of days ago. $1000. 4.4x leverage. A climb to $166 will net me $500. A drop to $120 will wipe out my position.

Yes, gambling is stupid but boy is it fun Smiley

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 07:14:14 PM

Not a proper "leverage", but I took a loan in bank & bought at $75.
So far it was very profitable Grin

No, that's leverage too. May I enquire as to the size of the mentioned loan ?

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 07:22:20 PM

Said everyone when the price was $10/BTC...

And I don't understand why everyone kind of associate leverage with something like using you home as a collateral and going all-in. I mean if you for example you use leverage that is 5-10% of your investment portfolio, how could that be so bad thing? I actually think that it might be the smartest thing to do in some cases if you have access to low interests loans.

Because it isn't worth the risk. There are people out there accumulating Bitcoins just for one thing: Squeeze the suckers who did it into default.
Gordonium (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:49:52 PM

Because it isn't worth the risk. There are people out there accumulating Bitcoins just for one thing: Squeeze the suckers who did it into default.

Well, for example most of my net worth is already invested in stocks, and I don't wont to withdraw my money from them because tax issues and because I wont to invest in other interesting things also. So without little leverage, it wouldn't be convenient for me to get large Bitcoin position just for the case that this will really go big. And missing this opportunity of lifetime is the risk I am not willing to take. Everybody talks about the risk of losing your money, but I think that they should also talk about the risk of missing the train. And even if Bitcoin would totally crash I could still pay my loans with just little percentage of my other investments. So basically there is limitless upside and very little downside.

PS. And this very conservative way for me. There was a time when I was basically all-in with Bitcoin. Now I am  investing significant percentage of my net worth into Bitcoin but I have other holdings too.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 07:54:37 PM

Well, for example most of my net worth is already invested in stocks, and I don't wont to withdraw my money from them because tax issues and because I wont to invest in other interesting things also. So without little leverage, it wouldn't be convenient for me to get large Bitcoin position just for the case that this will really go big. And missing this opportunity of lifetime is the risk I am not willing to take. If Bitcoin would totally crash I could still pay my loans with just little percentage of my other investments. So basically there is limitless upside and very little downside.

Smells like Bullshit.
Gordonium (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:55:22 PM

Well, for example most of my net worth is already invested in stocks, and I don't wont to withdraw my money from them because tax issues and because I wont to invest in other interesting things also. So without little leverage, it wouldn't be convenient for me to get large Bitcoin position just for the case that this will really go big. And missing this opportunity of lifetime is the risk I am not willing to take. If Bitcoin would totally crash I could still pay my loans with just little percentage of my other investments. So basically there is limitless upside and very little downside.

Smells like Bullshit.

Care to elaborate a little bit?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 07:55:51 PM

Not really.
Gordonium (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:58:06 PM

Not really.

I rest my case.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 02:51:05 AM

Actually not doing this like I wanted to at $15 was.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 02:54:01 AM

if bitcoin falls below 60

i'm doing it...

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 07:43:38 AM

Actually not doing this like I wanted to at $15 was.

In hindsight that's easy to say.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 10:51:03 AM

Have any of you taken loans to invest even more into Bitcoins? Or what are your thoughts about leveraging with Bitcoin in general.

I thought you were "fucking panicking" about 2 months ago! Your heart rate would have red-lined to flat-lined had you been leveraged into the $65 dip  Smiley

Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:37:30 AM

Taking loans and leverage with bitcoin increases the volatility of bitcoin and creates bubbles and crazy panics during sell offs. I don't think it's good for bitcoin and it's always a gamble. Personally taking a loan to invest into bitcoin is against my own moral principles and I would never do it, and I do hope that those who do get burned. But suit yourself. Smiley

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Gordonium (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:07:04 PM

I thought you were "fucking panicking" about 2 months ago! Your heart rate would have red-lined to flat-lined had you been leveraged into the $65 dip  Smiley

Fair enough Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: