Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:52:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of wallets?  (Read 173 times)
CazzataMalanga (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 02:39:48 PM

Hello all!

I've never used any wallets (like Electrum and such) but everybody tells me I should because of safety reasons. Why?

Isn't it like a fiat wallet where I put my cash in and it can't grow anymore? I'm confused  Huh

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
khendjer

Activity: 157
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 03:16:22 PM
Merited by QuestionAuthority (10)

Hello all!

I've never used any wallets (like Electrum and such) but everybody tells me I should because of safety reasons. Why?

Isn't it like a fiat wallet where I put my cash in and it can't grow anymore? I'm confused  Huh

Thanks.
Consider Electrum and Electrum-like wallets like your own vault which you have at home and your keep your money in. The only way to get an access to it is to use the key which have only you and no one else. You can be sure that nobody can steal funds from your vault until they somehow get the key from you. From the other side consider another type of wallets, most commonly online wallets, as something similar to your friend's vault where he keeps your money on your behalf. When something happens to him, his vault or key, that's all. You no longer have your money and you probably wouldn't be able to find out who stole your money, your friend or someone else who stole your friend vault's key. You have to trust a lot to your friend to allow him to keep your money. That's the most important reason you have to use a wallet which allows you to control private keys. Not less important is to keep the private keys from your wallet safely so no one could steal them.

CazzataMalanga (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 03:41:45 PM

So everytime I buy fresh crypto I should ASAP put it all in some offline wallet to be safe(r), correct?

Thx
SungkZ

Activity: 50
Merit: 3

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 04:12:14 PM

A Wallet allows users of it to store the crytocurrency they have like in my case, I used MyEtherWallet (Because most of the projects now a days are all Ethereum based) for me to receive my reward from the bounties I have participated. You're also correct that it's like a wallet for fiat money but it's not true that the current funds you have will not grow in there, since cryptos are Volatile, you will often see changes about their values when converted to USD. It may be a pump or a dump  Grin Grin Grin

ONe Social Network  Bringing it all Together!   [   ONe   ]
PRESALE  »  12 June   |   https://www.onesocialnetwork.io
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 04:33:44 PM

Hello all!

Thanks.
Consider Electrum and Electrum-like wallets like your own vault which you have at home and your keep your money in. The only way to get an access to it is to use the key which have only you and no one else. You can be sure that nobody can steal funds from your vault until they somehow get the key from you. From the other side consider another type of wallets, most commonly online wallets, as something similar to your friend's vault where he keeps your money on your behalf. When something happens to him, his vault or key, that's all. You no longer have your money and you probably wouldn't be able to find out who stole your money, your friend or someone else who stole your friend vault's key. You have to trust a lot to your friend to allow him to keep your money. That's the most important reason you have to use a wallet which allows you to control private keys. Not less important is to keep the private keys from your wallet safely so no one could steal them.

This is probably the single best plain English answer to any question I’ve ever seen come from a Jr. Member.

Panda_Pendek

Activity: 134
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 04:59:34 PM

If we have plunged into the world of cryptokurensi of course we must have a wallet to store our assets, at least we must have the wallet of the most widely used people such as ETH wallet. As we know the common usability of the wallet is to save our money as well as our digital wallet used to store the digital coins we have. Because Wallet is a storage place of our assets of course we must be extra careful, and secure our wallet especially his private key we should not know anyone else, if others have our private key then they can access our wallet and make transactions with it. With his or her wallet we can accept or mail our coins with others.

(((   BIDIUM.io   )))    PRE-ICO ACTIVE
█████████  JOIN NOW!  █████████
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: