Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:55:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauging Interest - Post Apocalyptic MUD with A BTC Economy  (Read 1305 times)
GreenBits (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 08:26:41 AM

Hey, as the title suggests, trying to gauge interest in a free to play, fully featured  post apocalyptic themed mud that allows you to earn BTC through game play. I'm a longtime fan of the mud genre; it has always fascinated me how deeply featured/ unique games can be with the limitations of graphics removed. Focus is on game mechanics, essentially, players perform in game professions (hunting, gathering, crafting) to generate loot/tools that can be sold to other players. Game revenue (developer side) is generated through microtransactions (crafting costs for tools, processing costs for loot, to put it in a form usable for crafting). Economy is player driven, players set market value for particular items through trades, not regulated pricing. If any of you are familiar with the any of the RCE(Real Cash Economy) games available like Afterworld or Entropia, I'm talking about an offering similar to these. Sans graphics. With a better plot. The title Fallen Earth, despite having graphics, should give you an example of the thematic elements in going for.

Its hard for some people to swallow a game with no graphics, but with rich gameplay and attention to lore/storyline I believe I can develop a world that will captivate the hardcore gamer in its complexity. Open ended character progression will give you something to do always; still havent figured out how I want to do the skill system (passive vs active skillgain).

So, could any of you guys get behind an offering like that? I have nada programming skills, but I would genuinely love to see a title like this available on the market, not counting the existing similar projects out (Craft4Coins, BitFantasy).

I would do this using the minecraft universe/client as a framework, but I feel that having to purchase the minecraft client is kind of a barrier of entry for some. Also, the animation style/play mechanic is lost on some adults (Id prefer a mature player). Which leads us to the fact that Minecraft is lousy with trolls and young aspiring trolls. The level of customization I would need would also be daunting starting from a vanilla minecraft server.

Discuss!

TheWizzerd

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 08:35:21 AM

I actually to this day, still prefer text based MUD's. I worked developed on them for.. geesh over a decade now? I would LOVE to develop a MUD with the currency being bitcoin. Why even fuck with Minecraft?
Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 02:51:30 PM

I'm still stuck standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.
deus-ex-machina

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 01:16:36 PM

I would suggest getting CoffeeMUD and modifying that to fit what you need. Comes with help documents and everything, and if you want to add some game logic that hasn't been thought up, by all means, do so.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 01:20:28 PM

CoffeeMUD is Java. I don't recommend anyone having Java on their computer unless they absolutely need it.

This looks promising: http://www.ranviermud.com/
GreenBits (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 05:07:02 PM

I actually to this day, still prefer text based MUD's. I worked developed on them for.. geesh over a decade now? I would LOVE to develop a MUD with the currency being bitcoin. Why even fuck with Minecraft?

if i get this rolling you'll definitely hear from me

I would suggest getting CoffeeMUD and modifying that to fit what you need. Comes with help documents and everything, and if you want to add some game logic that hasn't been thought up, by all means, do so.

CoffeeMud looks fairly easy to implement with pretty considerable documentation, pretty user friendly

CoffeeMUD is Java. I don't recommend anyone having Java on their computer unless they absolutely need it.

This looks promising: http://www.ranviermud.com/

I like the features of this a little better (seems to lack documentation though, not quite as user friendly. Why would you suggest not using Java? Security flaws?

I'm still stuck standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

Open that bad boy up, dammit.  Grin
TheWizzerd

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 09:39:19 PM

CoffeMUD has to be the greatest fail for MUDs. The best codebase, IMO, which has worked time-and-time again, Diku/Circle/ROM.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: