Bitcoin Forum
July 17, 2024, 12:30:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mempo - new security/privacy project promoting Bitcoin and other cryptocurencies  (Read 1006 times)
tigusoft (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 10:05:44 AM

Dear Bitcoin community.
We truly believe in free market ideas, and trust that Bitcoin one of the pillars of it. We would like to integrate Bitcoin and others crypto-currencies in our project and help to promote it even more. We are also very interested in Open Transactions technology.

We are creating super secure and private system based on Debian called Mempo. I think you will find this interesting, so this is a early version of website where you can find more informations about Mempo:

https://rawgithub.com/mempo/mempo-websites/master/mempo-main/html/index.html

If you have any questions, suggestions or want to offer help you can find us at
#mempo on I2P IRC, irc.oftc.net and irc.freenode.net.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 10:25:28 AM

So this is a new operating system based on Debian, right?
tigusoft (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 11:00:30 AM

Yes, partially, system will be modular and distributed as:
- Primary OS
- Debian packets
- Live-CD
So it will give a lot of possibilities.

In the future project will provide full, secure hardware platform (full open hardware if possible, look: OpenCores) with system specially configured, with other, external open hardware security projects included. Entire System - from Hardware, Kernel, throught System, VM creation, up to Applications is secured.
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 11:33:28 AM

Yes, partially, system will be modular and distributed as:
- Primary OS
- Debian packets
- Live-CD
So it will give a lot of possibilities.

In the future project will provide full, secure hardware platform (full open hardware if possible, look: OpenCores) with system specially configured, with other, external open hardware security projects included. Entire System - from Hardware, Kernel, throught System, VM creation, up to Applications is secured.

I see. Why would I pick this instead of using Debian and downloading my own security applications?
tigusoft (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 01:53:21 PM

I see. Why would I pick this instead of using Debian and downloading my own security applications?

It depends how advanced user you are, and how much time you want to spent on configuration and problems solving:

- Advanced - you can improve security of your Debian installing selected Mempo deb packages, for example kernel patched with grsecurity and grsecurity profiles for applications like Firefox (all simply verifiable). Of course, you can install and configure all wanted components by yourself, but it will be time consuming, and you can always make some mistakes. We want help Debian community with our efforts, so almost every part of our system can be simply installed on basic Debian.

- Simple - You can just install Mempo, it will give you environment with all security/privacy features, applications like, Tor, I2P, Freenet ready to use and easy to customize. In the future you can just buy, small computer based on open hardware with Mempo pre installed. This is version for all users who want ready to use secure/privacy system very fast and simple.

You can always use system live in hostile territory Smiley
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 02:10:56 PM

It depends how advanced user you are, and how much time you want to spent on configuration and problems solving:

- Advanced - you can improve security of your Debian installing selected Mempo deb packages, for example kernel patched with grsecurity and grsecurity profiles for applications like Firefox (all simply verifiable). Of course, you can install and configure all wanted components by yourself, but it will be time consuming, and you can always make some mistakes. We want help Debian community with our efforts, so almost every part of our system can be simply installed on basic Debian.

- Simple - You can just install Mempo, it will give you environment with all security/privacy features, applications like, Tor, I2P, Freenet ready to use and easy to customize. In the future you can just buy, small computer based on open hardware with Mempo pre installed. This is version for all users who want ready to use secure/privacy system very fast and simple.

You can always use system live in hostile territory Smiley

Any difference between this and say.. tails?
tigusoft (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 03:00:15 PM

Any difference between this and say.. tails?

We will based our project on systems like Tails, QubesOS

Mempo/Tails:
- Very secure, hardened kernel (grsecurity - on best settings).
- Not only liveOS, you can install Mempo components in already installed system, install system on hard disk, or use live.
- User education in security/privacy field, warnings against recently founded threats and guides how to securely use provided applications. (Weakest link hardening Smiley)
- Strong user, application isolation, VM like in QubesOS,
- Multiple ways of getting anonymity in network: Tor, I2P, Freenet, VPN.
- Configured, ready to use applications, like instant messaging client with otr, e-mail client with pgp, bitcoin client with secured wallets.
- Dedicated hardware.
- Own open hardware project to improve system security: HWRNG, pin/pgp-keyboard, RFID (auto-lock, auto-erase on theft).

b!z
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 03:24:15 PM

That's cool. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: