Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:17:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So is anyone excited about eBay endorsing Bitcoin?  (Read 8446 times)
tclo

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 02:27:52 PM

I watched the entire video and failed to see any kind of "endorsement" of bitcoin in there.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 02:54:08 PM

1. SEO:

eBay deals is similar to Goupon imho. They are in a huge marketing phase right now and it could be that the blog post is intended for search engines aka. SEO optimization.

It's not linked in the blog itself, get it? Ask yourself, why is that?

Totally. That was the initial reason for this conclusion. It shouldn't necessarily be found by human, but by robots.

The reference to the blog entry is in their sitemap, which is crawled by the search engine bots:

http://deals.ebay.com/blog/sitemap.xml ->
http://deals.ebay.com/blog/sitemap_index.xml ->
http://deals.ebay.com/blog/page-sitemap.xml

I know this is vague and speculative and one might ask: why would they put so much effort in this? Maybe the above stated statement should be redefined to: "It should be found by those who are interested in this topic and search engines."

edccdn.com is an external content provider, I guess. (recipes, thanksgiving, tablets)

Get it? Roll Eyes

All of those are linked in the blog. The shopping tips, recepies and whatever all show up at some point in the list, only the Bitcoin one doesn't.
The only way to find it is to know the url or enter "bitcoin" into the search box.
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 02:54:48 PM

why would they want to endorse it when they already own payment network pp, which is far more stable and not volatile as bitcoin...
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 03:00:25 PM

killhamster summed this Bullshit up perfectly, as usual:

@ButtCoin
eBay considering accepting Bitcoin. In related news, my uncle totally works at Nintendo and I have the new Super Mario and it's awesome and...
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 03:29:01 PM

1. SEO:

eBay deals is similar to Goupon imho. They are in a huge marketing phase right now and it could be that the blog post is intended for search engines aka. SEO optimization.

It's not linked in the blog itself, get it? Ask yourself, why is that?

Totally. That was the initial reason for this conclusion. It shouldn't necessarily be found by human, but by robots.

The reference to the blog entry is in their sitemap, which is crawled by the search engine bots:

http://deals.ebay.com/blog/sitemap.xml ->
http://deals.ebay.com/blog/sitemap_index.xml ->
http://deals.ebay.com/blog/page-sitemap.xml

I know this is vague and speculative and one might ask: why would they put so much effort in this? Maybe the above stated statement should be redefined to: "It should be found by those who are interested in this topic and search engines."

edccdn.com is an external content provider, I guess. (recipes, thanksgiving, tablets)

Get it? Roll Eyes
Best not to be condescending when that is your case.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 04:36:47 PM

Best not to be condescending when that is your case.

I'm here with friendly intentions, never wanted to sound condescending. Sorry for that, I just felt offended by his "get it" and mirrored it. Cry

Anyway, I'm just trying to make sense of this. Of course I can't claim this is reality nor did I ever do that. Hope this is clear now. Smiley

bqxpd

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:21:16 PM

This wasn't posted here yet:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/growing/categorychanges/coins.html
^ Scroll to the bottom.

Interestingly, the info you were pointing to is now missing from that page. When I first saw it yesterday, the page originally listed the addition of a new "Virtual Currencies" selling category, which I took to mean that they might be about to allow sales of bitcoins themselves on eBay. If that's still true, it would actually be evidence against the theory that they're about to begin accepting bitcoin as payment. They couldn't both sell bitcoins as merchandise and also accept them as payment, right?

1enUo5AVqwx4LradGPimKJAvV5gzK1Z3g
bitcodo

Activity: 509

Can't upload avatar

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:29:31 PM

And the pussy award goes to.....

What a disgrace.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 10:17:55 PM

Fishy or not, it exists.

Bullish as hell.
How is it bullish if ebay has nothing to do with it? It's just a youtube video...

Even if eBay didn't make it, somebody did. Worst case scenario, neutral effect on the market.

Xiaoma

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

Fishy or not, it exists.

Bullish as hell.
How is it bullish if ebay has nothing to do with it? It's just a youtube video...

Even if eBay didn't make it, somebody did. Worst case scenario, neutral effect on the market.

So you only admit bullish or neutral.. what about worst case is a really bad sign that some people are that desperate to try anything to avoid the incoming crash? Just saying...
neutrinox

Activity: 182

1MCKW9AkWj3aopC1aPegcZEf2fYNrhUQVf

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 11:22:53 PM

Let's recap the recent signs of eBay's change of policy towards bitcoins:

1. A professional quality Youtube animation with comments disabled that credits eBay in the end
2. This same video presented on a blog post at deals.ebay.com
3. eBay spokeswoman commenting on the video calling it "purely informational" thus validating eBay being aware of the video
4. eBay listing virtual currencies in September category changes
5. Mike Carson from eBay contacting an active bitcoin seller and asking for advice

Feel free to think all those things are just hot air/strange concidence but I don't think you need to be "desperate" to take it as a bullish signal.
underground_

Activity: 123

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:29:06 PM

If it is true, we might see something happen as soon as next Tuesday:

pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2013/categoryupdates.html
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 12:45:17 AM

If it is true, we might see something happen as soon as next Tuesday:

From the link:

bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:00:43 AM

only scenario i see ebay ever accepting btc is if they get a percentage of bitcoins from the sale, which kinda defeats the purpose of bitcoin. i would like the option to be available, but their pals paypal and bankers would not let that happen.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 02:15:31 AM

it would not be ebay that accepts bitcoin, it would be the sellers that sell their. you do not HAVE to accept Paypal as payment on ebay. you can choose to only accept bank transfer, and even "Other payment method" so i guess you can choose other and type in your bitcoin address in the box below  Cheesy

MoreFun
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003

WePower.red

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 06:19:38 AM

it would not be ebay that accepts bitcoin, it would be the sellers that sell their. you do not HAVE to accept Paypal as payment on ebay. you can choose to only accept bank transfer, and even "Other payment method" so i guess you can choose other and type in your bitcoin address in the box below  Cheesy

So with a little hassle and the seller willing to accept BTC, you would be able to buy from him stuff for free and sell him BTC for free.  Grin
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 12:06:52 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1lvnn7/aaaaaaaand_its_gone_ebay_virtual_currency_section/

Hobo Nickels! Grin
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:28:21 PM

Let's recap the recent signs of eBay's change of policy towards bitcoins:

1. A professional quality Youtube animation with comments disabled that credits eBay in the end
2. This same video presented on a blog post at deals.ebay.com
3. eBay spokeswoman commenting on the video calling it "purely informational" thus validating eBay being aware of the video
4. eBay listing virtual currencies in September category changes
5. Mike Carson from eBay contacting an active bitcoin seller and asking for advice

Feel free to think all those things are just hot air/strange concidence but I don't think you need to be "desperate" to take it as a bullish signal.

Obviously ebay adopting bitcoin as a payment mechanism would be very bullish. However none of those points you mention indicate this to happen.

They are considering adding a new category 'virtual currencies' and they possibly might improve the trading of bitcoins on their website. (Maybe more secure for seller and cheaper for buyer?)

That's nice but trading of bitcoins on ebay is nothing new and something completely different than ebay implementing bitcoin as payment system, right!?

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 02:42:58 PM

They are considering adding a new category 'virtual currencies' and they possibly might improve the trading of bitcoins on their website. (Maybe more secure for seller and cheaper for buyer?)

From the looks of it they have already considered it and decided against it.

<-- You can trade these instead.
neutrinox

Activity: 182

1MCKW9AkWj3aopC1aPegcZEf2fYNrhUQVf

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 03:06:55 PM

From the looks of it they have already considered it and decided against it.

Feel free to see the glass as half empty. There are plenty of signs that point towards they deciding in favor of it. Maybe they removed the category entry because they want to first stock in some cheap bitcoins before BTC value goes parabolic..

You were already wrong about the video when you claimed that it's the work of some rogue admin. It was indeed made by eBay for "informational purposes".
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: