Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:55:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Freelancer Directory  (Read 1013 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 20, 2011, 03:12:48 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2011, 05:23:07 PM by sgornick

I was trying to come up with a decent solution for a directory where contractors and freelancers could offer their services.

Then I realized the solution might be sitting right there in front of us: The Bitcoin Wiki!
   http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Freelancers

To add a user as a freelancer, simply add the [[Category:Freelancers]] tag in the user page.
e.g.,
  http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Sgornick

I then added a few wiki pages for freelancers who had announced their services here in this forum.  That showed me that a wiki page does serve adequately as a method for listing freelancers.  The criteria I was looking for:
 - Free service: no charge to add a listing
 - Self-service: the freelancer can submit their own listing and edit the content.
 - Access is open: If a volunteer wishes to add to the directory or to modify any listings, access to the content is available.  This is particularly useful since wiki syntax does have a slight learning curve.  If access is open, then having a separate submission mechanism (such as this forum thread), would work and a third party / volunteer could add the new entry to the directory.
 - Searchable: the site provides a search tool, and the site gets indexed by the search engines.

The main concerns I have for doing this type of directory using the Bitcoin wiki are:

1.) As Bitcoin grows it will become more obvious that the Bitcoin wiki is not really the best place for this.  For one, a wiki is not the best tool (see #2) and the freelancer listings really don't fit here.   So that freelancers needn't wait any longer, perhaps this less-than-optimal solution will serve just fine for a while until a better service is available?

2.) Tagging service categories is awkward.  More granularity could be added using subcategories, but again, a wiki project isn't the best tool for this.  I added one such subcategory, Technical Support, to show how subcategories might be used for this.

3.) Fully editable pages -- depends on honor system to prevent vandalism, misinformation.

Incidentally, here's the list of users on that wiki now:
  http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Special:ListUsers

Is using the Bitcoin wiki in this manner acceptable?  Or are there any other thoughts on this?

[Edited]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
January 20, 2011, 11:10:09 AM

A freelancer directory really needs a time limit so that listings expire unless they are renewed. Otherwise it eventually becomes filled up with out-of-date cruft.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 20, 2011, 02:37:36 PM

Good point. Have monthly pages where people re-add themselves.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: