Print  
Author Topic: Merits  (Read 183 times)
Yolandi (OP)

Activity: 206
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 12:35:22 PM

hi gents,

I'm a newbie and I have some questions about the Merits: How can I get and send them and is it important for me to have some or can I dispense with it?

▄▀▀▀▀▀     INSUREUM     ▀▀▀▀▀▄
《 THE NEW INSURANCE ECOSYSTEM 》
▀▄   token.zikto.com/insureum   ▄▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jacee
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 12:39:32 PM

hi gents,

I'm a newbie and I have some questions about the Merits: How can I get and send them and is it important for me to have some or can I dispense with it?
Merit is important specially for low rank members. You need them to be able to rank up. Theymos implemented it to reward users that makes High quality posts so you need to make sure that your posts are not shitty spams. You can send merits by clicking the merit button in a post on the upper right.
You have smerits to giveaway, that's what you will use to merit other people. I'm not sure if low rank accounts have smerits or if they do, how many. You can check posts in the meta section about this.

There are high rank members who are willing to giveaway their smerits posts and you can submit your posts to them to review. You can see some in the service section iirc.
Alexander_Z

Activity: 114
Merit: 26

Z

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 12:46:17 PM

hi gents,

You can get them by writing high-quality, constructive posts for which other members can award you merits. Fro every merit you get, you also get 0.5 sMerit. sMerit is spendable, but only in integer quantities (so you need at least 1). See this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.0. As for importance, merits are not needed to rank up to Jr. Member, but to become Member one needs at least 10 merits (in addition to 60 activity points).
st1x2

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 01:47:30 PM

the response from theymos

"in addition to activity, everyone now has a merit score, and you need both a certain activity level and a certain merit score in order to reach higher member ranks. The required scores are:

Rank   Required activity   Required merit

Brand new   0   0
Newbie   1   0
Jr Member   30   0
Member   60   10
Full Member   120   100
Sr. Member   240   250
Hero Member   480   500

You get merit points when someone sends you some for one of your posts. Additionally, when someone sends you merit points, half of those points can be sent by you to other people.

Certain users are designated as "merit sources". They can create new merit out of nothing, up to a limited number per month (which differs per source). I will not be posting a definitive list of merit sources (so that people don't bug them too much), though you'll soon figure out who they are if you pay attention.

There is currently no such thing as a "demerit". I'm hoping that the positive merits alone will be fine. I could add demerits pretty easily later on if necessary, though.

I'm hoping that this system will increase post quality by:
 - Forcing people to post high-quality stuff in order to rank up. If you just post garbage, you will never get even 1 merit point, and you will therefore never be able to put links in your signature, etc.
 - Highlighting good posts with the "Merited by" line.

While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.

Do not beg for merit excessively.

Useful infographics

Forum users have helpfully created some infographics to explain the merit system:
paxmao's infographic
ibminer's infographic
8Habits's infographic
JetSet11's infographic
zentdex's infographic
alia_armelle's infographic

If you want to be a merit source:

1. Be a somewhat established member.
 2. Collect TEN posts written in the last couple of months by other people that have not received nearly enough merit for how good they are, and post quotes for them all in a new Meta thread. The point of this is to demonstrate your ability to give out merit usefully.
 3. We will take a look at your history and maybe make you a source.

I am especially eager to have merit sources in sub-communities such as the local sections.

Trivia:

For current members, your initial merit score is equal to the minimum required to your rank. Of that, a certain amount (less than the usual half) is spendable. The spendable amount was calculated based on your current rank and the number of activity points you earned in the last year. A Legendary member who hasn't posted in the last year would still be Legendary, but would not have any spendable merit.

If someone sends you 1 merit, the 0.5 sMerit is not wasted; it is just not shown until you get another merit point.

There are stats here, and you can find someone's merit summary by clicking the "merit" link on their profile."

more detailed https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.0
crypto_dau

Activity: 30
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:18:49 PM

Link to learn what is Merit? How to send and received Merits included in the topic
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.0

More details, you can not send your sMerits (not Merits, please remember that). You can only do this step if you ranked up to Member at least.
Yolandi (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 06:17:30 PM

the response from theymos

"in addition to activity, everyone now has a merit score, and you need both a certain activity level and a certain merit score in order to reach higher member ranks. The required scores are:

Rank   Required activity   Required merit

Brand new   0   0
Newbie   1   0
Jr Member   30   0
Member   60   10
Full Member   120   100
Sr. Member   240   250
Hero Member   480   500

You get merit points when someone sends you some for one of your posts. Additionally, when someone sends you merit points, half of those points can be sent by you to other people.

Certain users are designated as "merit sources". They can create new merit out of nothing, up to a limited number per month (which differs per source). I will not be posting a definitive list of merit sources (so that people don't bug them too much), though you'll soon figure out who they are if you pay attention.

There is currently no such thing as a "demerit". I'm hoping that the positive merits alone will be fine. I could add demerits pretty easily later on if necessary, though.

I'm hoping that this system will increase post quality by:
 - Forcing people to post high-quality stuff in order to rank up. If you just post garbage, you will never get even 1 merit point, and you will therefore never be able to put links in your signature, etc.
 - Highlighting good posts with the "Merited by" line.

While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.

Do not beg for merit excessively.

Useful infographics

Forum users have helpfully created some infographics to explain the merit system:
paxmao's infographic
ibminer's infographic
8Habits's infographic
JetSet11's infographic
zentdex's infographic

If you want to be a merit source:

1. Be a somewhat established member.
 2. Collect TEN posts written in the last couple of months by other people that have not received nearly enough merit for how good they are, and post quotes for them all in a new Meta thread. The point of this is to demonstrate your ability to give out merit usefully.
 3. We will take a look at your history and maybe make you a source.

I am especially eager to have merit sources in sub-communities such as the local sections.

Trivia:

For current members, your initial merit score is equal to the minimum required to your rank. Of that, a certain amount (less than the usual half) is spendable. The spendable amount was calculated based on your current rank and the number of activity points you earned in the last year. A Legendary member who hasn't posted in the last year would still be Legendary, but would not have any spendable merit.

If someone sends you 1 merit, the 0.5 sMerit is not wasted; it is just not shown until you get another merit point.

There are stats here, and you can find someone's merit summary by clicking the "merit" link on their profile."

more detailed https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.0

thank you very much for this information

Yolandi (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 06:29:10 PM

thank you very much for your friendly responses. the information is very helpful for me.
I like the idea to generate more high quality posts by the merit system

Yolandi (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 06:40:52 PM

hi gents,

You can get them by writing high-quality, constructive posts for which other members can award you merits. Fro every merit you get, you also get 0.5 sMerit. sMerit is spendable, but only in integer quantities (so you need at least 1). See this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.0. As for importance, merits are not needed to rank up to Jr. Member, but to become Member one needs at least 10 merits (in addition to 60 activity points).

I'm afraid that my newbie-knowlede is not enough for writting really high-quality posts  Roll Eyes first I need to get more knowledge.
do you know if ranking up to Jr. member is sufficient to unlock the search function which temporaty is limited?

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 06:45:57 PM

Useful infographics

paxmao's infographic
ibminer's infographic
8Habits's infographic
JetSet11's infographic
zentdex's infographic

Wow, this information would be useful if you provided links to each of these infographics!

Here's the link to 8Habit's infographic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2830205.msg29010824#msg29010824

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 06:59:24 PM

Wow, this information would be useful if you provided links to each of these infographics!

Nevermind, I found the source links for the infographics.

Please share these with others that are asking basic questions. Y'all ask good questions but you need to realize that hte answers are REALLY easy to find.

Useful infographics

paxmao's infographic
ibminer's infographic
8Habits's infographic
JetSet11's infographic
zentdex's infographic
diemquy057

Activity: 96
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 07:31:39 AM

Nevermind, I found the source links for the infographics.

Please share these with others that are asking basic questions. Y'all ask good questions but you need to realize that hte answers are REALLY easy to find.

Useful infographics

paxmao's infographic
ibminer's infographic
8Habits's infographic
JetSet11's infographic
zentdex's infographic
Thanks for excellent infographics. It helps me a lot, now I understand more about mechanism of merit system. How it affect ranking system. How to send a sMerit and receive merits.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: