Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:47:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTCR] New in stock 13-port USB hubs: the ultimate for Block Erupters!  (Read 1431 times)
mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 09:33:29 PM

Looking to power all your Block Erupters in your PC?  We have the solution at WTCR.

A tried, tested, and true hub solution with the lowest possible cost-per-port. 

Utilizes your PC's power supply for it's 5v.  Powered with a floppy connector but includes a molex to floppy adapter.

Running for weeks stable with all 13 ports populated with Block Erupters, it's safe to say these are the best hubs around.

Got some CM Stackers lying around at home?  Fill up all the bays with Block Erupters!

Questions?  Simply email sales@wtcr.ca or inquire through our website.

Resellers?  These are an excellent item to include with bundles of USBs as all Block Erupters need a hub!
RicRock

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 05:59:03 PM

Works with Pi?
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868

ADT developer

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:01:10 PM

do you ship to the uk ?

mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 06:06:06 PM

Works with Pi?

I don't see why not.  You would just need a 4 pin header USB adapter, I have one of those can I could try this out for you.  The computer sees it as a generic USB hub, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the pi.  You could probably use a root hub connected to the pi and hook a dozen of these to that root hub! 

do you ship to the uk ?

Yes we ship worldwide Smiley

Add the items to your cart and checkout to get shipping quotes!
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:11:24 PM

Works with Pi?

I don't see why not.  You would just need a 4 pin header USB adapter, I have one of those can I could try this out for you.  The computer sees it as a generic USB hub, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the pi.  You could probably use a root hub connected to the pi and hook a dozen of these to that root hub! 

do you ship to the uk ?

over .5BTC to ship 1 here to the uk lol

mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 06:17:25 PM

Works with Pi?

do you ship to the uk ?

International shipping could get pricey.  I'm assuming that was Xpresspost?  There are probably cheaper shipping methods offered by Canada Post but they have a tendency to be really slow and unreliable. 
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:28:59 PM

Works with Pi?

do you ship to the uk ?

International shipping could get pricey.  I'm assuming that was Xpresspost?  There are probably cheaper shipping methods offered by Canada Post but they have a tendency to be really slow and unreliable. 

all options were over 0.5btc  ( its not like I am in the middle of no ware I live 35 miles from London

ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:46:45 PM

mclovin, may I suggest on-board DC-DC converter for 12v to 5v? Having that many USB miners might be dangerous. Most ATX power supplies only have 16-24 amps on the 5v rail, which is 32-48 miners, minus whatever the computer is actually using on the 5v rail.

Most modern ATX power supplies are really a large 12v power supply that downconverts the 12v to 5v and 3.3v on an internal daughterboard that usually maxes out around 80-120 watts. I think it would be more prudent to convert that massive source of 12v to 5v instead of relying on the much smaller 5v rail on the ATX PSU.

mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 08:41:56 PM

mclovin, may I suggest on-board DC-DC converter for 12v to 5v? Having that many USB miners might be dangerous. Most ATX power supplies only have 16-24 amps on the 5v rail, which is 32-48 miners, minus whatever the computer is actually using on the 5v rail.

Most modern ATX power supplies are really a large 12v power supply that downconverts the 12v to 5v and 3.3v on an internal daughterboard that usually maxes out around 80-120 watts. I think it would be more prudent to convert that massive source of 12v to 5v instead of relying on the much smaller 5v rail on the ATX PSU.

I had considered a DC-DC converter, but I instead purchased one of these for the stacker:

A 60A @ 5v PSU for $47.  We will probably carry these at WTCR soon. 

The Stacker 810 supports two power supplies, so I have that added flexibility, and if you have a string of 3 molex's on one wire, that's still only one wire that can carry 5v.  So my secondary power supply has two strings on it so that's running two of the 13-port hubs, and the Corsair I'm using as a primary PSU only has one molex string so that isn't enough, I'm using a sata-molex adapter to give power to one of the hubs, but I am still short on being able to power up all the ports just yet.  I still have a whole bunch of D-Link hubs so I am using them for some of my USBs until my big 60A PSU arrives then I will be able to power up hopefully 12 of these 13-port hubs.  Even that isn't enough power for all 12, but I have two of the 60A PSUs on order, I will get 156 USBs in a Stacker 810 if it's last thing I do!  Smiley

ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:54:59 AM

I had considered a DC-DC converter, but I instead purchased one of these for the stacker:

A 60A @ 5v PSU for $47.  We will probably carry these at WTCR soon.  

The Stacker 810 supports two power supplies, so I have that added flexibility, and if you have a string of 3 molex's on one wire, that's still only one wire that can carry 5v.  So my secondary power supply has two strings on it so that's running two of the 13-port hubs, and the Corsair I'm using as a primary PSU only has one molex string so that isn't enough, I'm using a sata-molex adapter to give power to one of the hubs, but I am still short on being able to power up all the ports just yet.  I still have a whole bunch of D-Link hubs so I am using them for some of my USBs until my big 60A PSU arrives then I will be able to power up hopefully 12 of these 13-port hubs.  Even that isn't enough power for all 12, but I have two of the 60A PSUs on order, I will get 156 USBs in a Stacker 810 if it's last thing I do!  Smiley

Good read. Let me know how it works out. BTW, 4-pin perephrial plug (most call it molex) spec says 11 amps max per pin or wire, so thats 55 watts or 22 USB miners on that single molex line before you go out of spec and possibly start melting plastic or insulation.

Also, try to keep your eyes peeled for active PFC, and high efficiency, at least 80%. Higher is obviously nicer. I had considered getting a dedicated 5v power supply, or just getting USB hubs that take in 12v and internally convert 12v to 5v so one could power the hubs with a their 12v heavy ATX power supply, but I quickly realized how unprofitable the BE USB's would have been.

Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 08:37:14 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2013, 09:13:21 PM by Nemo1024

I have bought 4 of the 13-port hubs along with a few BEs. They are now all installed and hashing away. Here are two of them with all ports loaded:

The hubs connect to power either through floppy connector or through Molex (using the included thick-wired Molex to floppy adapter).

The internal USB connector is of the thin type with 4 wires + 1 sealed slot (1x5 header - http://www.frontx.com/cpx101_2.html). To use only one internal 9-pin connector, I connected both hubs to a 2x5 connector (http://www.frontx.com/cpx108_2.html) that I had lying around.

A special consideration: Molex is rated to deliver 11A, but a single Molex string from a PSU can typically deliver up to 16A. This means that it is safe to connect one such hub per wire string from the PSU (13*0.5A=6.5A), but it might also be OK to have two of these 13-porters on a single string (for 12A load).

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: