Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:14:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GiftCard Zen  (Read 1088 times)
UPENtXF (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 03:23:28 AM

Looks like another gift card service started accepting BTC:
https://giftcardzen.com/

This one seems to give you discounts on cards they buy at a deeper discount. So, their current inventory varies, and they buy as well as sell cards.

Does anyone already have experience using any kind of payment with this one?

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
https://bisq.network/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
UPENtXF (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 02:34:28 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 03:55:56 PM by UPENtXF

I used giftcardzen several times to send gift cards without trouble.

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
UPENtXF (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:57:38 PM

UPDATE:

This last time, the person whom I sent a couple of $47(50$ nominal) cards found that one of them was completely empty. Looked like it was never even charged, rather than completely spent.

So, she contacted giftcardzen support. Support responded that they “can't” just replace the card with another one, even though they were available on their site.

Rather than ask where to send the refund, and without even asking whether I or the recipient had or wanted an account at Coinbase, Giftcardzen support simply sent a refund to the recipient's email address via Coinbase.

Since the recipient neither had nor wanted nor was able to establish an account at Coinbase, she contacted support again. Support finally sent the refund to an address the recipient provided them, BUT at the current exchange rate!

In other words, I bought the $47-card with bitcoins when a bitcoin was about 350$, and when they refunded me those $47, they did it at the 950$ rate. So, they refunded about 1/3 of  the bitcoins I originally sent them, for which the sent a card worth ZERO!

When confronted with this, giftcardzen support replied with the following:
“We have to use the USD currency as a base because of the volatility of BTC. Our products are tied so closely to dollars, and are essentially cash, so we use that to determine refunds”

So, the moral of the story is that Giftcardzen intends to make a profit, whether they provide their service properly or not, and will expect you to absorb the rate fluctuations that affect the deal, even if the problem was on their end.

All they had to do to make things right from the start was to send a $47 replacement card, on which they had already made a profit by buying it from someone for much less.
Instead, they decided to rip me off for 2/3 of the bitcoins I sent them.

Thanks to the irreversibility of Bitcoin, rather than merchants being ripped off without any recourse  by the buyers, now some of the buyers are getting ripped off without any recourse!

If giftcardzen won't deal fairly on a $47 card, what do you think they will do on  cards they sell worth several hundred $, if you have a problem with it ?!

This is a crooked and untrustworthy Bitcoin participant, which should be avoided!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: