Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:26:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Clean dusty Antminers or wait for warranty to expire  (Read 197 times)
LamboHT (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:17:28 PM

I'm still working on getting a workable filter for my room.....in the meantime I have been running several Antminer S9/L3 with supply fans that have no filter for about 5 weeks.  There is a visible thin layer of dust on top of the PSU and miners.  The exhaust fan has fine dust on the blades.  You get the picture.

Intake airflow exceeds total intake of all miners combined.  Exhaust fans also exceed total exhaust of all miners combined.

Chip/board temperatures are consistent and predictable.  The S9s run less than 80 C unless the ambient temperature is above 70 F (working on some exhaust issues).

HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS....

1.  Do I break the warranty and airblow with compressor (with moisture trap) all the miners since there is visible dust on the equipment and then install a workable filter....

OR

wait until the warranty expires then clean them ?

2.  How will dust related problems manifest ?  Will the temperatures start to get higher and higher despite adequate cooling measures or will the board suddenly either die or stop working until cleaned ?

Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:20:44 PM

Just giving your miners an air shower won't necessarily void your warranty, unless you plan on removing the boards before blowing.  As for me, I just blow... Shocked

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:54:45 PM

How exactly is blowing some air into the AIR intake going to void the warranty?

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
LamboHT (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:57:59 PM

I was going to take the boards out of the metal case.  There is a warranty sticker on one of the screws on both the front and back of the box that holds the boards inside.  I can remove the fans though with no problem.

I was going to remove the boards, blow compressed air across the heat sinks and scrub the heat sinks if need be.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:01:09 PM

Nahh just blow through with your compressor and make sure you dont spin the fans while you are doing it. No need to disassemble for cleaning. In fact, I would not pull things apart ever if the machine is working properly. You for sure dont want to be messing with the heat sinks like that. They are bonded to the chip directly with thermal epoxy, you bang one the wrong way and it rips the top of the chip off and you have an expensive paperweight.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: