Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:46:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me find my coins?  (Read 142 times)
Sazuru (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:35:42 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=183.0

Had a conversation with some friends recently that jogged my memory about claiming those 5 coins back in 2010. I am now currently trying to track down my old hardware to see if I can get at the wallet address that I'm assuming would be on it somewhere?

It took me a while to remember enough to even find this forum, but here I am. Is there any other way of seeing whether I have those coins or any other step/action I can take to locate them or my access to them?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tokexchain

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:40:00 PM

To perform an upto date sync and 'claim back' the BTC, you will need the private keys, not the public address - if you have these, you can import to Electrum or Mycelium wallets and gain access, on a side note, never expose or link your private keys with online wallets, if you do not expressly own the privkeys, the coins are not entirely yours!
Melquart

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:00:19 PM

Unless you find your private keys, your coins are lost forever. I hope you find them, 5 Bitcoins worth the time you spend digging in your old hardware.

Sazuru (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:17:07 PM

Hey, thank you both for the response! I've caught up enough to know it's worth the time. It's kind of bewildering to me that something from back then that just struck me as an interesting idea could be so valuable now.

So this private key (or these private keys) I am looking for I imagine will be some value saved somewhere in bitcoin related files on my old hardware? Sorry it has been a long time since I've looked into any of this. I guess I'm just asking what exactly I should be looking for when I go look?
Geemy

Activity: 350
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:31:23 PM

Look at all the currencies and keep up the news with all his work and then you will find a desire to buy

I see from my point of view that many currencies have a future

Tio - Electroneum
Jalum

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:35:35 PM

Unless you find your private keys, your coins are lost forever. I hope you find them, 5 Bitcoins worth the time you spend digging in your old hardware.
Yup all that he needs is his Private Keys then he will be able to access his wallet. Try and find it before you lose it.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:39:17 PM

Hey, thank you both for the response! I've caught up enough to know it's worth the time. It's kind of bewildering to me that something from back then that just struck me as an interesting idea could be so valuable now.

So this private key (or these private keys) I am looking for I imagine will be some value saved somewhere in bitcoin related files on my old hardware? Sorry it has been a long time since I've looked into any of this. I guess I'm just asking what exactly I should be looking for when I go look?
No you can only get the private key if you backup them before you can't find it in the bitcoin wallet files..

If you had the seed phrase you can recover your wallet to other wallet like electrum wallet..
But better to share to us if what wallet you are using..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
Cryptoman69

Activity: 67
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:41:47 PM

The best way for your problem is try to go in META section. They are only approachable ang legitimate to know what to do about this situation.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:18:48 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=183.0

Had a conversation with some friends recently that jogged my memory about claiming those 5 coins back in 2010. I am now currently trying to track down my old hardware to see if I can get at the wallet address that I'm assuming would be on it somewhere?

It took me a while to remember enough to even find this forum, but here I am. Is there any other way of seeing whether I have those coins or any other step/action I can take to locate them or my access to them?

Thanks.
That time the wallets were mainly (or only) desktop wallets, so you need to search your old hard drives for something in connection with bitcoin. (If you find a file called wallet.dat, you're half way there). The other possibility that you have created a paper wallet to store the bitcoins, that's the hardest way to find it, if you have moved or you are a kind of person who usually throw out old things, if so, there's a little hope.
Or, if you have saved your public and private key to a .txt file those days, you can also search for those. (that time there were no malwares looking for your keys, so there were no problem storing them on your hard drive). Good luck!
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1343

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:33:15 PM

The best way for your problem is try to go in META section. They are only approachable ang legitimate to know what to do about this situation.
Wrong. There are several better sections where this question could be asked.
Try here OP: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=4.0

I'm guessing you had a bitcoin wallet installed somewhere on your machine. Search your disks for wallet.dat, bitcoin-qt, or just bitcoin. If you find your old wallet files chances are you'll be able to get the coins back. 

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███