Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:53:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USB miner issues  (Read 2330 times)
hotwired007 (OP)

Activity: 585
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 12:41:35 PM

I've got 8 ASICMINER USB miners running - 2 in a hub on my PC and 6 on a dlink hub - all were working ok on cgminer 3.1.0 but a couple were iffy (no accepted shares) so i decided to upgrade to cgminer 3.4.2

ive downloaded the new version of zadig (http://zadig.akeo.ie/)

installed the winUSB driver and run cgminer-nogpu.exe:

cgminer-nogpu.exe -o *** -u *** -p *** --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100

only one miner runs - any suggestions what ive done wrong?

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
OtaconEmmerich

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 05:20:33 PM

Remove "--icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100"
the new version of CGminer doesn't need/require it.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 05:22:36 PM

Or you could use BFGMiner and the VCP drivers, which means you don't have to fool about with the pointless WinUSB stuff.
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:16:07 PM

Or you could use BFGMiner and the VCP drivers, which means you don't have to fool about with the pointless WinUSB stuff.

done Smiley also dropped the difficulty and everything seems happier now Smiley

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:31:19 PM

You only have to fool around with pointless serial drivers.  And good luck if you want to run multiple instances of the miner and your serial ports get reassigned on the fly by Windoze.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 10:54:42 AM

i'm running BFGMiner, 4 USB miners on a USB hub plugged into the PC and 4 miners in the DLINK hub - now all 8 show up and occasinaloly some error BUT not all of them are actually submitting shares

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 11:03:52 AM

i'm running BFGMiner, 4 USB miners on a USB hub plugged into the PC and 4 miners in the DLINK hub - now all 8 show up and occasinaloly some error BUT not all of them are actually submitting shares

Make sure your USB Hub power supplies can supply the current needed.  Each Erupter needs .5 Amp.  So you have two USB Hubs with 4 Erupters each so your Power Supplies need to be rated HIGHER than 2 Amps each.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 11:08:39 AM

Make sure your USB Hub power supplies can supply the current needed.  Each Erupter needs .5 Amp.  So you have two USB Hubs with 4 Erupters each so your Power Supplies need to be rated HIGHER than 2 Amps.

Yeah, that's right. Some devices don't provide enough power to the USB hubs, according to what I've read.
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 07:12:10 AM

The HUB i hvae on my PC is powered directly from the PSU so has plenty of power and works perfectly - not had any issues with that hub since installing it - the external hub im currently using is a DLINK DUB-H7 - its recommended for the USB miners - its pluged directly into the motherboard USB ports at the back.

I'm using BFGminer 3.2.0 if that helps?

Trongersoll

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 06:11:54 PM

The HUB i hvae on my PC is powered directly from the PSU so has plenty of power and works perfectly - not had any issues with that hub since installing it - the external hub im currently using is a DLINK DUB-H7 - its recommended for the USB miners - its pluged directly into the motherboard USB ports at the back.

I have a PCIe hub powered by the power supply. the specs that came with it say 2amps, that is it. where it gets its power doesn't matter. It seems that all(most of) the hubs get some of their power from the port that they are plugged into. That PCIe hub will run 2 Dlink 7 ports fine, add an anker and the Anker doesn't work much beyond 1 erupter. Plug the Anker into the Dlink and it runs 8 erupters and a fan fine. that is my experience so far.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 11:52:01 PM

the Anker doesn't work much beyond 1 erupter. Plug the Anker into the Dlink and it runs 8 erupters and a fan fine. that is my experience so far.

Plugging your Aker into a different hub stabilizes it?  That sounds weird.
Sam

Trongersoll

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 01:02:01 AM

the Anker doesn't work much beyond 1 erupter. Plug the Anker into the Dlink and it runs 8 erupters and a fan fine. that is my experience so far.

Sam

only on the surface Sam, i believe the Anker depends on the power it receives via the port it is plugged into as much as the power it's brick supplies. But i'm not a hardware guy.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 01:30:36 AM

Sam

only on the surface Sam, i believe the Anker depends on the power it receives via the port it is plugged into as much as the power it's brick supplies. But i'm not a hardware guy.

I bought 3 of the Anker 9+1 hubs and so far I'm not impressed.  One fried in less than a day, one looses 4 to 5 ports in about 10 minutes and the third one works fine.  Just wondering about your theory, although it makes no sense, but you seem to have empirical evidence on your side.

Worth a shot Smiley
Thanks,
Sam

HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:53:15 AM

If your Anker is giving trouble, then it's most likely the USB3 drivers on your PC.  I couldn't get mine working properly on the ASMedia USB3 ports on my AMD rig. Wouldn't work reliably on a Renesys USB3 on another Intel machine (H61 chipset Intel Desktop board).  Works perfectly on the Intel chipset USB3 on a different PC.

I've had better luck plugging the Anker hub straight in to a USB2 port. 
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 09:24:06 AM

Sam

I daisy chained one Anker off the first one, which was always stable, everything worked great over night.  Thanks for the suggestion and input.

I had plugged all three directly into my USB ports on the PC because I wanted all of the available higher current ports used for erupters.  But now looking back on it I have always daisy chained my old hubs.

Now I will test chaining them off of my Rosewill hubs on the non powered ports.

Thanks again,
Sam

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 09:26:07 AM

If your Anker is giving trouble, then it's most likely the USB3 drivers on your PC.  I couldn't get mine working properly on the ASMedia USB3 ports on my AMD rig. Wouldn't work reliably on a Renesys USB3 on another Intel machine (H61 chipset Intel Desktop board).  Works perfectly on the Intel chipset USB3 on a different PC.

I've had better luck plugging the Anker hub straight in to a USB2 port. 

My mining rig only has USB 2.0 ports.  The daisy chain method seems to work though.
Thanks,
Sam

hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:10:01 AM

I have a PCIe hub powered by the power supply. the specs that came with it say 2amps, that is it. where it gets its power doesn't matter. It seems that all(most of) the hubs get some of their power from the port that they are plugged into. That PCIe hub will run 2 Dlink 7 ports fine, add an anker and the Anker doesn't work much beyond 1 erupter. Plug the Anker into the Dlink and it runs 8 erupters and a fan fine. that is my experience so far.

The 4 USB Miners plugged into the DLINK are the ones that dont seem to be doing anything :S they'll submit a few shares and then stop doing anything - i've ordered a couple of new hubs to replace the DLINK - going to use the dlink for a different purpose (my raspberry pi entertainment center Smiley)

Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:54:39 AM

What about cooling?  These things get hot and you need a good air moving fan to blow across them.  Get you a USB fan, or, just take a box fan and point it at them. It could be the reason why they begin to run, then crash (especially the ones in the hubs that are lined up next to each other, it creates a heat dome).

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 12:07:38 PM

What about cooling?  These things get hot and you need a good air moving fan to blow across them.  Get you a USB fan, or, just take a box fan and point it at them. It could be the reason why they begin to run, then crash (especially the ones in the hubs that are lined up next to each other, it creates a heat dome).

the ones in the PC have a 120mm case fan blowing over them and the 4 in the DLINK have a USB fan blowing over them - they feel cool to the touch.

My new hubs turned up today so should be up and running later Smiley

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 12:11:28 PM

the ones in the PC have a 120mm case fan blowing over them and the 4 in the DLINK have a USB fan blowing over them - they feel cool to the touch.

My new hubs turned up today so should be up and running later Smiley

Try Trong's suggestion of Daisy Chaining them.  That has resolved my situation.  Don't quite understand the theory of operation of that yet.
Sam

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: