Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:42:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USPTO IS NOW FIRST TO FILE!!! Legislation (HR 1249)  (Read 5252 times)
MrJoshua

Activity: 76
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 11:32:06 PM

Also, you need to file within a year of the technology becoming public knowledge.

j

The value of bitcoins is not a theory, predictions of it's failure are what is theoretical.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
coga

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

www.btcbuy.info

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 11:49:59 PM

I think all of you are missing the point here. Bitcoin does not need a trademark, and it never will. Let 100 lawyers file all they want, it does not matter. Imagine lawyer got his patent granted tomorrow - what he gonna do? All he gets is favor from government(s). Bitcoin is not created or run by governments, so good luck enforcing your so-called "right". And if government(s) decide to shut it down, that's what they will try to do anyway, patent or no patent.

GPG key: 6F8E305690A05365B58C50A
chungy

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 12:23:25 AM

It'd be like me trying to copyright the bible.
So completely feasible and done by multiple entities?

(First off, there's a Crown Copyright that never expires on the King James Version in the UK; that particular version has fallen into public domain in the US and most of the world.  Though, new "translations" are almost always held under copyright.)
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 02:06:33 PM

I think of an established company within the Bitcoin economy (tradehill, gox, bit-pay, bitcoin forums) were to patent bitcoin on behalf of the community and somehow place a clause making it open to be used for everyone.

How much would this cost, I know a bunch of patent lawyers. I'm gonna look into this.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 03:13:48 PM

Look I'm the guy that discovered the initial trademark filing

https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=26527.0

The term is common already,  it's been in use for years now.   I personally object to ANYONE holding a trademark of it.    It's akin to someone trademarking the term "US DOLLAR" or something along those lines.

I believe that the term is already common and cannot be trademarked as it's already a common name... period.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: