Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 09:08:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a new online identity  (Read 944 times)
knewbee (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:48:02 PM

Hi,
I joined some days ago but this is my first post. I guess I should create an online identity for everything related to bitcoin.

* I want to create a new email address. Any suggestion of a good place to create an email account? I don't want to use gmail as I already have an account there and it would be extremely easy for them to link my accounts.
Is there any security conscious place that you recommend?

* I want to create PGP keys but I am using different computers. What do you do in these cases? I'm currently using ubuntu in my two computers.

Thanks in advance.
Knewbee
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 08:53:14 PM

Use GMAIL man.  Tongue  ITSA BEST.  Welcome to bitcoin, but creating a new identity... well you aren't gunna get any loans Tongue
knewbee (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:57:22 PM

I don't want to use gmail. Google already knows too much about me and my activities. I'm looking for some privacy. That's the reason I asked about a privacy-conscious service.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 09:01:24 PM

I don't want to use gmail. Google already knows too much about me and my activities. I'm looking for some privacy. That's the reason I asked about a privacy-conscious service.

You're looking to create a new/fake identity?
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 09:04:14 PM

just use yahoo or any other mail service, it's fine since you're using PGP.

or http://hidemyass.com/anonymous-email/ for spam/register stuff

knewbee (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:10:29 PM

And there is still another requirement. I want to be able to use thunderbird with it, as I want to use the PGP plugin to sign and verify emails.

I guess that I will have to pay something if I want all of these features. It's ok as long it is not a lot of money ...
Tsukene

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:15:50 PM

And there is still another requirement. I want to be able to use thunderbird with it, as I want to use the PGP plugin to sign and verify emails.

I guess that I will have to pay something if I want all of these features. It's ok as long it is not a lot of money ...

I hope you are not planning to do something illegal like the Silk Road...

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful:
34qMeWBdbF47TH65SzWg9iva4M6KvWGPD2
Thanks in advance Smiley
Tsukene

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:25:10 PM

Why do you need to use the plugin to sign and verify emails? You can do that without any email client or plugin with gnupg

Thanks in advance Smiley
knewbee (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:29:36 PM

You're right Tsukene. Thanks for the tip Smiley

And regarding to the previous post, I don't want to do anything illegal. I just want some privacy.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 09:32:14 PM

And regarding to the previous post, I don't want to do anything illegal. I just want some privacy.

Good.  Nothing to hide, but lots to protect. 

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Tsukene

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:32:40 PM

+1

Thanks in advance Smiley
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:40:33 PM

+1

+2
roxannemmorganB599

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 12:40:42 AM

Use GMAIL man.  Tongue  ITSA BEST.  Welcome to bitcoin, but creating a new identity... well you aren't gunna get any loans Tongue

I guess its no you loan shark. You should understand the nature of bitcoin and its users. Most of its users want anonymity not just loan.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 01:43:30 AM

Here: http://prism-break.org/

Plus: http://safe-mail.net/

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 04:33:07 AM

Use GMAIL man.  Tongue  ITSA BEST.  Welcome to bitcoin, but creating a new identity... well you aren't gunna get any loans Tongue

and get tracked by prism? hahaha you're funny mate.
knewbee (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 06:04:11 AM

Thanks a lot. That is what I was looking for ... great resources!
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 06:13:53 AM

hosting an email server on your own computer is best

Thanks a lot. That is what I was looking for ... great resources!
blisscan

Activity: 52

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 08:50:18 AM

hosting an email server on your own computer is best

This is not obvious to me. It seems to me that if I own a public IP address and a domain name it is very easy to track me down.

Isn't it better to use a third party email service and connect to it using tor or a public wifi hotspot?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 11:06:17 AM

Signup with an anonymous email provider thingy and then use a VPN, problem solved, that said, I think it would be extremely difficult to stay completely anonymous if someone is determined enough to find you, I'm not hacker but the trick I guess would be leaving no trail to your original I.P address just like with real life tracking.

If for instance, you pissed off a major superpower like Snowden you're probably going to end up hiding in an international airport somewhere seeking amnesty no matter how careful you are.
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:18:48 PM

I originally wrote this in regards to protecting your bitcoin wallet from hackers, but everything written also applies to keeping your internet traffic private. Enjoy.

If you want true security in addition to the BitCoin software your are using, you need to use the following software to prevent malware, trojans, and viruses from giving someone backdoor access to your computer. All the encryption and passwords in the world will not help you if you computer is infected. BTC

1. Anti-Keylogger
This will prevent a hacker from capturing your passwords as you enter them to decrypt wallets and posting payments.
Key Scrambler - Free and Paid editions. You need to have the paid edition to encrypt your typing using a software wallet and not just your browser. Well worth it IMO.
http://www.qfxsoftware.com

2. VPN Service
This will put a buffer and prevent hackers from having easy access to remotely control your computer if it infected.
Many available. Private Internet Access and Mulavad are recommended by many.
http://www.privateinternetaccess.com , https://www.mullvad.net/en

Note: A VPN alone, is not enough to privatize your internet surfing. It should be one of the steps you do take, but not the only one.

3. Firewall and Anti-Virus
Self explanatory. I also recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to detect malware that may not be picked up by most anti-virus software. Free as well.

4. Privacy Browser
Many people think that if you have a proxy or VPN you are immune from tracking. This could not be further from the truth. Browser fingerprinting allows an unscrupulous person to track the websites you visit and monitor your movements online. In a nutshell browser fingerprinting is the method of IDing people online, only needing 21 bits of identification. With 21 bits of identification, a person can be pinpointed with near 100% accuracy by their browser. These points include your OS, browser, any browser add-ons you use, your screen resolution, http header tags, timezone, system fonts, and many more things you probably didn't know could be accessed by a website. THIS IS WHY using Firefox and adding a few privacy addons DOES NOT WORK! If anything, using add-ons, it INCREASES your ability to be tracked. The question becomes, how do we prevent cookies, javascript, and flash from tracking us without using add-ons that contribute to bits of identification?

Test yourself:
https://panopticlick.eff.org/
http://ip-check.info/?lang=en

Solution:
JonDoBrowser: A special build of Firefox that has all privacy essential addons, disables flash cookies, and uses the TOR network to proxify your websurfing.
The best part is that JonDoBrower has the same exact browser fingerprint for ever person who uses it. So you browser fingerprint is no longer unique; it is shared by thousands! The more people use it, the greater the factor of anonymity. It will bring you to under 10 bits of identification. Yes, it is free.
https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/index.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: