Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:53:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible uses for Heat Generated by btc mining?  (Read 5917 times)
wolverine.ks (OP)

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:54:07 PM

Possible uses for heat generated by btc mining....Someone on the forums said they heat their house with their mining rig. What else could be done with the heat? What are people already using it for?

Some ideas I was thinking about....

Hot water heater for a house or hotel
Instant Hot Water for faucets
Steam Generators
Sauna
Hot Tub
Cooking food

Anything else that might be kinda crazy?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:08:26 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2013, 07:38:42 PM by malevolent

A few threads that I remember:

Bathroom floor heating: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3707.msg53879#msg53879
"Dehydrated strawberries": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52331.msg624415#msg624415
Uses of waste mining heat: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52340.0;all
Harrassing wasted heat? Post your pics and ideas!: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155841.0;all

Signature space available for rent.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:48:13 PM

The BFL Jalapeno was supposed to be a coffee warmer.  They even sent me a coffee cup.  But the top of the thing is the coolest part of it.  It's not a very well designed coffee warmer.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Bitweasil

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:21:13 PM

The main problem is that the usable heat coming off the miners is low grade by the nature of silicon.  You can't run 120-200C temperatures and expect anything to either run or last long.

So you're stuck with "warm but not hot" temperatures, which are mostly useful for heating.  That's about all you can expect from it.

Further, you typically would want the miners running constantly, so you need something that can sink a steady source of lowgrade heat.  Room heating or water preheating are the obvious solutions.

The most economical is probably a preheater for the hot water heater, but you'd have to go through a good bit of hot water to make it worth it.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:36:40 PM

The most economical is probably a preheater for the hot water heater, but you'd have to go through a good bit of hot water to make it worth it.

I have a hybrid domestic hot water heater. it uses a heat pump to remove heat from the air and put it into the tank for our use.

similar to this one:
http://www.geappliances.com/heat-pump-hot-water-heater/

and my miners are in the basement...
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:40:09 PM

Why go crazy? It's starting to get cold, here. Just need a fan or two, and the heat's no longer wasted. Poof. ~100% efficiency.
ktttn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 11:46:00 PM

Dyson spheres?
Considering that Nuclear power plants are nothing but really complicated water heaters, scaling up mining rigs to planetary levels might be cool. Also redundancy is neat.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:46:47 PM

Why its not possible to use the energy inside a 50°C flux of water to finally move a turbine (150°C)?
Isn't there any way to do it?
Its just a curiosity I had for a long time, non bitcoin related.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Bitweasil

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:53:34 PM

Why its not possible to use the energy inside a 50°C flux of water to finally move a turbine (150°C)?

Short answer: The laws of thermodynamics prohibit it.

Your maximum efficiency of a heat engine is determined by the absolute temperatures of the hot side and cold side.

For the output of a miner, the hot side is barely warmer than the cold side.  The theoretical power output is present but tiny.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:59:25 PM

It is not that you CAN'T it is that it won't be very efficient.  Remember there is no such thing as free electricity even if you have a free/waste heat source; there is always a capital cost and all equipment has a finite lifespan.  So if your $10,000 turbine produces so little electricity over its economical lifespan that it has an average cost of $1.00 per kWh it doesn't really make sense.   The hotter the input and the colder the output the more efficient the energy conversion is (thermal energy to electrical energy).

The waste heat from miners is simply too "cool" to be useful for power generation.   It can be useful for heat (either heating the air in a house, or heating water) but even then you have some material costs and you likely need to "water cool" your rigs.  Trying to capture waste heat from the air is an excercise in futility.

On edit: Bitweasel beat me.
tom_o

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 09:39:49 PM

The heat can be useful, looking forward to it now that I'm moving into a house with single glazing and £26/month fixed electric bill.
Zanatos666

Activity: 280

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 10:53:18 PM

I have a unit with dual watercoold VGAs that sits under my desk.  The heat it gives off through the top vented radiator is nice when its cold out.  When its hot, I just keep a small fan under there.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
RChevalier

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:33:55 PM

I actually dry my laundry in a rack in the mining room.  Although some may say that might not be such a good idea with all the moisture in the room but it's not like I'm adding a whole lot of humidity either.
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:06:02 PM

I think you could use it as a heat cource for a super efficient stirling engine which you could then attach to an electric generator.
Bitweasil

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:12:27 PM

I think you could use it as a heat cource for a super efficient stirling engine which you could then attach to an electric generator.

Physics still wins.  The problem is that the hot side to cold side difference isn't that high, so you can't extract much energy from it...

Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 07:55:56 AM

Physics still wins.  The problem is that the hot side to cold side difference isn't that high, so you can't extract much energy from it...

+1
tarui

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 03:30:39 PM

my mother was worried about a pair of socks not drying in time and she joked that i should wash it then after squeezing out as much water as possible, hang it at the exhaust of my avalon batch 1 Grin
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 04:26:17 AM

I dunno, my Avalon gets pretty warm. And there are stirling engines that can run just from the heat of your hand.
Bitweasil

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:22:58 AM

I didn't say you couldn't extract any energy.

I said you couldn't extract much. Go load up one of those sterling engines that runs on a low heat delta and calculate how much usable energy you get.

fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 12:51:52 PM

Tried using it to boil an egg but after 2 hour it is half boiled Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: